Unofficial Preview Round 1 Dees vs Dogs - The Future Present - Opposition Supporters Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Captain’s Log
Round 1 2123

The times have been dark, no doubt. The days of footy being played in front of tens of thousands are years past: decades, perhaps a century. We are more or less Amateurs now. Still, we play and compete and old rivalries are born anew.

We Demons prepare for our season opening encounter vs. the Bulldogs in the now traditional manner of a piss-along prior to the match. At the Captain’s table I am joined by my right-hand man, No. 7, and our opposites of the Dogs: Bonty-kun and Ms. Jackson.

—————

Run, Run as Fast as You Can
Gawnless leans back and stretches his long limbs in a clear sign of good health and humor. One cannot see his lips through his immense bush but can sense a tingle of mischief about them.

‘Well Bonty, how was the summer? Bit of fun, What?’

Bonty-kun rubs his large, rather red, protuberance and observes with somewhat less good humor, ‘Hot as buggery in Ballarat. I bloody envy youse in your fully-enclosed Casey stronghold.’

Ms. Jackson, barely audible, passes comment.
No. 7, very much audible, says, ‘What? I begs pardon Ms. Jackson. I can’t hear it!’

Bonty-kun is attuned to his vice’s peculiarities. ‘Ms. Jackson says youse are looking very fit and I must agree.’

‘Yes Bonty. Goodman No-Shoes has us in tip-top shape,’ Gawnless says.

‘Where are his shoes anyway?’ Bonty-kun asks.

Gawnless leans forward confidentially. ‘Goodman has a habit of losing things. Money. Shoes. Sometimes even the shirt off his back.’

Bonty-kun and Ms. Jackson share an odd glance. ‘Shirtless eh? That we can understand.’

Gawnless brightens. ‘Still, it’s all in good fun! And what of your man, Hot Beveridge? Must he be caged like that?

‘Yes. Safer for everyone,’ says Bonty-kun sternly.

No. 7 has the manner and temperament of an overly enthusiastic 10 year-old. ‘I’m not scaried never but I heard some of youse are right scaried of him!’

Ms. Jackson, disgust written in every pore, mumbles indistinctly.

Gawnless utensils an ear. ‘Apologies, Ms. Jackson, I didn’t quite…’

Bonty-kun assists once again. ‘Ms. Jackson said Cape Schache is so afraid he hasn’t been seen in weeks’

Gawnless is thoughtful. ‘I say Bonty, if the lad would feel safer with us, we would happily take him?’

‘Maybe that would be for the best. Hot Beveridge might do him a damage if he sees him again,’ Bonty-kun replies.

‘Kind of you, Bonty. We accept,’ Gawnless says airily. ‘And now, where is that grog? Didn’t one of your chaps go to fetch some?’

‘Yes! The Huntsmen did!’ Bonty-kun addresses the group en-masse, ‘Where is that damn fool?’

The one they call Ad-Libba rolls his eyes, convulses, and falls to the floor. ‘I have located him Captain,’ he says tremulously, eyes like saucers. ‘He has crashed the drinks cart thrice-wise. He is very drunk Captain.’

‘Bloody blast him. We’re all sick to death of him,’ Bonty-kun growls.

‘Well Bonty, he may be a better fit at the Demons. Even our man No-Shoes likes to join us at the hotel for some ale,’ Gawnless suggests.

‘Fine, fine,’ says Bonty-kun testily. ‘Take the blasted sot.’

Gawnless raises his glass in acceptance. ‘I must say, your man Ad-Libba has quite a talent.’

‘He bears the birthmark of the yellow man. He is a seer.’

‘I, er, see…’ Gawnless says awkwardly.

Ms. Jackson, cheeks coloring, leans over and whispers into Bonty-kun’s ear. ‘Too right, Ms. Jackson, too right,’ Bonty-kun says firmly.

‘Something the matter, Bonty?’

‘Ms. Jackson says we’ve given over two of our blokes, so how about a little something, you know, for the effort?’

Gawnless is untroubled. ‘What do you suggest?’

‘Ms. Jackson is partial to your red-headed folk. Which one Ms. Jackson?’

Ms. Jackson is urgent, fierce. ‘The ugly one!’

‘I regret, Ms. Jackson, it is impossible,’ Gawnless says. ‘He is our Club Champion. And besides, he is infected…’

Bonty-kun is cautious yet curious. ‘Infected?’

‘He has the dropsy. Sometimes, at the merest touch, he drops straight to the ground.’

No. 7 is shaken. ‘Tis the only thing I’m afeared of. Tis the Demon Spirit! A wretchit, cursit thing!’

‘And you, Gawnless, have you been infected by this “Demon Spirit”?’

‘Perhaps. Once.’

‘Hmm… Ms. Jackson?’ Bonty-kun asks, eyebrows raised.

‘The small one!’

‘Forgive me Ms. Jackson. The Ballarat sun would sear him something terrible. He is just a boy,’ Gawnless replies.

Bonty-kun is becoming desperate. ‘Bloody blast it, Gawnless. We need someone.’

There is another of the red-folk, but we couldn’t…’

‘Where? Who is he? Has he pace?’

‘He is lightining’

‘And his skills?’

‘Oh yes’

‘Well? What’s his name? Come on, damn you!’

A hush descends over the room.

‘His name…’ Gawnless pauses, drawing them in. ‘Is Ginja Breadman.’

Bonty-kun and Ms. Jackson exchange a look of triumph. ‘We’ll take him!’

ThePhreshOne bring the troops! I'd summon them myself, but your board would likely fire me into the sun given the chance.
Ah how good is it that footy is back. Thanks for the welcome.

You boys look sharp. We look sharp too but I have a feeling this era is going to be very much like our 07-10 period where we were pretty bloody good but just a step behind the Hawthorns, Geelongs and St Kildas who had generational teams.

No idea what to expect in round one, I suspect it'll be a typical Western Bulldogs season where we bugger our season in the first 5-6 weeks and chase our tails, so that should be positive for your lads.

That one guy who brings up the GF being in Perth every time can * right off though. I'd rather Melbourne played out the season with Bakers, Schaches and Hannans than read another shithouse post from that discharge

I asked chat gpt to write a match report to see who'd win:

In the highly anticipated Round 1 clash of the 2023 AFL season, the Western Bulldogs took on the Melbourne Demons at Docklands Stadium. Both teams had a solid preseason and were eager to start the new season with a win.
The Bulldogs got off to a strong start, with midfielders Jack Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli dominating the center clearances and delivering the ball to their forwards. Aaron Naughton proved to be a handful for the Demons' defenders, taking several contested marks and kicking accurately in front of goal. The Bulldogs led by 16 points at quarter time.
The Demons came out firing in the second quarter, with Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver taking control of the midfield. They managed to peg back the Bulldogs' lead, but inaccurate kicking in front of goal meant they could only manage a one-point lead at half time.
The third quarter was a see-sawing affair, with both teams trading goals. Tim English and Bailey Smith kicked crucial goals for the Bulldogs, while Max Gawn and Ben Brown kept the Demons in the game. The Bulldogs held a slender two-point lead heading into the final quarter.
In the last quarter, the Bulldogs' fitness and intensity proved too much for the Demons. Bontempelli continued to dominate the midfield, while Naughton kicked another two goals to put the game beyond doubt. The Bulldogs ran out winners by 22 points, much to the delight of their fans.
The Bulldogs will be pleased with their opening-round win, with Macrae, Bontempelli and Naughton among their best. The Demons will rue their missed opportunities in front of goal, but Petracca and Oliver can hold their heads high after solid performances. Both teams will now turn their attention to Round 2, where they will look to build on their performances and continue their push for the finals.

Obviously they've still got a few kinks to iron out with the AI.

Then I asked it to write some jokes about the Bulldogs:

1. Why did the Western Bulldogs coach take his team to the bank? To teach them how to make a withdrawal!
  2. I asked a Western Bulldogs fan how their season was going. They said it was like a rollercoaster, with lots of ups and downs... but mostly downs.
  3. What do you call a Western Bulldogs player with a trophy? A thief.
  4. Why did the Western Bulldogs player go to the doctor? Because he had a case of the "dropsies" - he couldn't hold onto the ball!
  5. I heard the Western Bulldogs were considering a new mascot - a crying baby, because they always seem to be whining about something.
  6. How many Western Bulldogs players does it take to change a lightbulb? None, they're too busy dropping it.
  7. What do you get when you cross a Western Bulldogs player with a potato? A couch potato - they're always sitting on the sidelines injured.
  8. Why did the Western Bulldogs player bring a ladder onto the field? To reach the lofty heights of mediocrity.

And then I asked it to produce a Seinfeld script about luke beveridge:

INT. MONK'S CAFE - DAY
Jerry and George are sitting at their usual booth, enjoying coffee and conversation.
Jerry: Did you catch that Western Bulldogs game last night?
George: No, I missed it. Why, was it good?
Jerry: It was a real nail-biter. But what really caught my attention was the coach, Luke Beveridge.
George: What about him?
Jerry: He's got some crazy methods, man. Did you know he once made his players wear blindfolds during training?
George: Blindfolds? What's the point of that?
Jerry: According to Beveridge, it helps the players develop their spatial awareness and communication skills.
George: (skeptical) I don't know, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. What if they crash into each other?
Jerry: Apparently that's part of the challenge. It forces them to rely on each other and trust their instincts.
George: (nodding) I guess I can see the logic in that.
Jerry: And get this, he's also been known to use meditation and yoga as part of their training routine.
George: (rolls his eyes) Oh, come on. That's just ridiculous.
Jerry: Hey, don't knock it till you try it. You might be surprised at how effective it can be.
George: (sarcastic) Right, because I'm sure doing downward dog is really going to help me win a game of footy.
Jerry: (laughing) You never know, George. Stranger things have happened.
George: (shrugs) I guess you're right. But you have to admit, Beveridge is a bit of a weirdo.
Jerry: (smiling) Maybe so, but the results speak for themselves. The Western Bulldogs are looking pretty sharp this season.
George: (grinning) Alright, you've convinced me. I'll have to check out one of their games sometime.
Jerry: (smiling) Good idea. Just make sure you bring your blindfold and yoga mat.
George rolls his eyes as the two friends continue their conversation over coffee.

Sounds about right.

I asked chat gpt to write a match report to see who'd win:

Obviously they've still got a few kinks to iron out with the AI.

Then I asked it to write some jokes about the Bulldogs:

And then I asked it to produce a Seinfeld script about luke beveridge:

Sounds about right.
That Seinfeld script is right on par with modern writers. :poo:

We were discussing Hunter and his struggles in the middle of last year. There were a few teams that we thought he might fit in at…. They needed to have a boys club private school heavy drinking culture; not care about off-field standards and be arrogant enough to think they could fix him.

Bombers.
Like perfect fit. They don’t care about Jakey Stringers extra tyre around his waste; his lack of professionalism; not turning up to events and they even gave him a large contract extension (without weight requirements).

Bombers weren’t interested….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He definitely needs something positive to happen in his life.

I got 2023 AA wingman Lachie Hunter on my team for nothing in the trade period with the Dogs paying some of his salary, life doesnt get much better than this.

We were discussing Hunter and his struggles in the middle of last year. There were a few teams that we thought he might fit in at…. They needed to have a boys club private school heavy drinking culture; not care about off-field standards and be arrogant enough to think they could fix him.

Bombers.
Like perfect fit. They don’t care about Jakey Stringers extra tyre around his waste; his lack of professionalism; not turning up to events and they even gave him a large contract extension (without weight requirements).

Bombers weren’t interested….
If you're looking to get rid of players who fit that bill we can take Bailey Smith off your hands too.

I got 2023 AA wingman Lachie Hunter on my team for nothing in the trade period with the Dogs paying some of his salary, life doesnt get much better than this.

Dogs aren’t paying any of his salary this year or next. It’s why you paid almost nothing in the trade.

I am so Glad to have him gone…. I give you guys 3 months before you turn on him. Once the pressure comes on…. the running won’t stop but the kicking:

giphy.gif

Dogs aren’t paying any of his salary this year or next. It’s why you paid almost nothing in the trade.

I am so Glad to have him gone…. I give you guys 3 months before you turn on him. Once the pressure comes on…. the running won’t stop but the kicking:

giphy.gif
Mate he's not kicking to useless spuds like Schache anymore, he's kicking to power house key forwards like Schache now

. I give you guys 3 months before you turn on him.

Better chance hes my avatar in 3 months. Looks ******* amazing. Far better player than I ever thought he was at the Dogs. Our club is amazing. Mitch Hannan also looked a far better player for us than he did you. Read into that what you will. :moustache:

Better chance hes my avatar in 3 months. Looks ******* amazing. Far better player than I ever thought he was at the Dogs. Our club is amazing. Mitch Hannan also looked a far better player for us than he did you. Read into that what you will. :moustache:
Don't you dare ruin him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back