Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its my point exactly. apply a realistic standard and the picture is nowhere near as dire as certain posters are trying to paint.

If you mean me, i think NRL crowds in Sydney are weak, considering the amount of derbies, the fact the city is considered the world home of the game and the population of Sydney.

The fact is many of those leagues Sverik 25 offered up are across an entire country and cities may only have one or 2 teams.

I think the issue isn't so much from are the size of the crowds as to what they represent in terms of revenue.

With smaller crowds, it means that a greater percentage of the revenue comes from broadcast, and as a result, the operations of the league are more beholden to the desires of the broadcasters.

NRL's split of broadcast/non-broadcast revenue was 59%/41%, which is actually at a downward trend from 67%/33% in 2013.
The AFL, if my maths is right, actually gain more revenue from non-broadcast sources than broadcast sources, if not, it's around 50/50.

How much of the difference is due to the differences in attendances is more than just my back-of-the envelope calculations but is important for the financial health of the respective sports.

If you mean me, i think NRL crowds in Sydney are weak, considering the amount of derbies, the fact the city is considered the world home of the game and the population of Sydney.

if like you, we ignore the historical crowd data, we can also infer that the average crowd should be a million and consist solely of butterflies and crab fishermen. Why stop at 50,000? Go for broke.

Is Sydney in fact considered the world home of the game? I dont think thats entirely correct. The English might have a word or two to say about it.

Given the huge TV ratings League gets, the amount of media exposure in Sydney, and throw in the size of Sydney's population, you'd have to conclude that NRL attendances for the best part of a decade have been on the soft side.

If anything, the occasional peak attendance number underscores just how soft the average attendances are.

But yeh, compared with soccer attendances in Croatia, Cyprus, Malta, Montenegro, Greece, Bulgaria, the Ukraine and even Russia, they look bloody brilliant.

Given the huge TV ratings League gets, the amount of media exposure in Sydney, and throw in the size of Sydney's population, you'd have to conclude that NRL attendances for the best part of a decade have been on the soft side.

If anything, the occasional peak attendance number underscores just how soft the average attendances are.

But yeh, compared with soccer attendances in Croatia, Cyprus, Malta, Montenegro, Greece, Bulgaria, the Ukraine and even Russia, they look bloody brilliant.

Pathetic really considering the amount of derbies they can throw up, unlike many other leagues who need to rely on travelling fans from other cities etc to boost crowds.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/paul-kent-highlights-the-big-financial-problem-in-the-nrl

"The NRL has spent $50 million on an advance from Channel 9, it's had another $50 million on an advance from Fox Sports, and they're still going to the banks soon to ask for another $25 million loan," he said.

"We're borrowing money, we're spending the money and we're not getting it back into the game.

"It reminds me a little bit of the GFC - the smart ones saw that coming."

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/paul-kent-highlights-the-big-financial-problem-in-the-nrl

"The NRL has spent $50 million on an advance from Channel 9, it's had another $50 million on an advance from Fox Sports, and they're still going to the banks soon to ask for another $25 million loan," he said.

"We're borrowing money, we're spending the money and we're not getting it back into the game.

Not a good sign to spend money on greedy players and managers when you dont have it in the pocket.

Weren't they saving their money for a rainy day a few years ago & had some 80 odd million set aside in the piggy bank

Yes, but we all know how much it rains on the NRL in Sydney.
but stops for the Swans & GWS games!
a few years ago when the NRL was actually making money, the there was a lot of talk about building a "war chest" aka similar to the AFL's "future fund" in the annual reports it actually showed millions in there! it must all be gone:D

Wonder what they have needed to shore up ? .

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/n...d-ditches-investment-managers-20170213-gubk4w

The National Rugby League has ditched its $54.6 million future fund to help alleviate short-term cashflow issues and pay for a big investment in a new digital media business, the sport's 2016 accounts reveal.

The NRL is also receiving $50 million upfront from broadcaster Nine Entertainment Co in 2017, brought forward from the next rights deal and has negotiated an expensive funding deal with clubs that will see the 16 sides paid up to 130 per cent of the player salary cap from next year onwards.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/n...d-ditches-investment-managers-20170213-gubk4w

The National Rugby League has ditched its $54.6 million future fund to help alleviate short-term cashflow issues and pay for a big investment in a new digital media business, the sport's 2016 accounts reveal.

The NRL is also receiving $50 million upfront from broadcaster Nine Entertainment Co in 2017, brought forward from the next rights deal and has negotiated an expensive funding deal with clubs that will see the 16 sides paid up to 130 per cent of the player salary cap from next year onwards.

So it has no "fund" at all?

Anyone confirm this. Seems rather dangerous in this day and age not having a "chest" to have in case of bad times or future building.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it has no "fund" at all?

Anyone confirm this. Seems rather dangerous in this day and age not having a "chest" to have in case of bad times or future building.

who knows, they can say they are using it for digital growth purposes and use 1% for that, or they can actually be telling the truth

an to think they had a lot of cash

Having a warchest is not necessarily a good thing. Its just a pile of money doing nothing. Could the NRL afford to have $80 mill in the bank being 'lazy' with the issues it has. Use the money, and borrow in the future if it's required can be the more conservative option.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Thats what the talk was up here.

NRL had a war chest to spend on grassroots in Western Sydney etc.

Seems to not be the case.

Well they got 1.8 billion in cash for the next few years surely they could spare at least 5 million a year for grass roots in Western Sydney

Looks like that's critical. League can play all of its games on one channel, with no clashes, while the AFL plays two games on a second channel in competition with Fox footy most rounds. Having one less clash appears to be enough for Fox Footy to retain the number one spot.

That extra game being on a Thursday night before a long weekend instead of at 1.10pm Sunday even more crucial, I would think.

Looks like that's critical. League can play all of its games on one channel, with no clashes, while the AFL plays two games on a second channel in competition with Fox footy most rounds. Having one less clash appears to be enough for Fox Footy to retain the number one spot.

In fact in many of the rounds (where there is no Thursday or public holiday matches) there are three AFL games on Fox Sports 3 (Saturday arvo, Saturday evening and Sunday arvo).

Sounds about right. Now its Normal to have 2 Friday night games with a 7pm start with on game and a 9pm start on the other. Previously they would have 2 Friday night games on at the same time. If your from Queensland, you got the Queensland side hosting an opponent. If your from NSW, The NSW team was hosting the other game.

http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...s-for-freetoair-soccer-rights-20170419-gvnv3y

Football Federation Australia has failed to entice the three commercial free-to-air television networks into bidding for A-League and Socceroos matches, leaving the ABC in the box seat to gain the rights.

Seven West Media, Nine Entertainment, Network Ten and current FTA rights holder SBS are understood to have not lodged an official bid with the FFA by last Thursday's deadline, having baulked at some FFA requirements such as having to pay Fox Sports $2 million in annual production costs.

It is understood and FFA and ABC are in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back