Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a perfect premise. The current situation has us losing 2m a year hand over fist. It's not a baseline of "nothing".

Devils advocate but what sort of transparency are you talking about, and how does it differ to the level of transparency on our efforts to secure other sites like QSAC or the Airport?
Because we dont have the deputy chairman of the QSAC or the airport as the Lions Chairman.

You are closer to this than a lot of us, you know what I am saying. It stinks and has done since Angus took control

So the players don't live in Bulimba then. They live in that area because it is close to the current training base. If we move to Springfield they can live in Chelmer, Indooroopilly or Graceville. 15 minute drive to Springfield. I can understand the Seaford comparison on some level but the geographics are very different.
Or there is a perfectly viable site at Chelmer (and I dont want to here about it being a dump fill that can be fixed a lot cheaper than creating an entire new ground) or one at Yeronga. Both well within the city limits, both with space around them.

Anyway I have had my rant, I am 100% against it (just to clarify), but I feel like a lone blade of grass in a tornado that has just ripped through a fertilizer factory.

We have sat idle for what, 4-5 years? How much longer can we wait?

I would support waiting a bit longer, but I don't know the situation to know if continuing to wait is viable?

Sometimes you just have to play the hand you've been dealt.

Ipswich Lions... that is the hand we have been dealt:(

You are closer to this than a lot of us, you know what I am saying.

Yeah I understand the perception issue. That is a PR problem that the club will have to work hard to address. Steele Tallon's replacement will have their work cut out for them because the negative perceptions from the original proposal are planted deep.

You could write an epic novel about all the twists, turns, bungles and disappointments of the club's and AFLQ's efforts to seek a better outcome since. Very little of it is public knowledge. They have fought exceptionally hard from a position of financial weakness and political irrelevance. The Springfield arrangement is significantly improved from its previous incarnation, and it ticks way more boxes than any other option that is even semi-realistically available.

I've gone from "no ******* way, not ever" to "this needs to happen". I hope the club is in a position to talk about this all in more detail soon. Because I can understand the negativity and worry of fans that grows in the absence of information.

Ipswich Lions... that is the hand we have been dealt:(

The New York Giants and Washington Redskins actually PLAY in different STATES to the city they are named after. No one calls them the New Jersey Giants or Maryland Redskins.

The Dallas Cowboys (the 4th biggest sporting brand in the world) play in the city of Arlington, forty minutes to the west of Dallas and train in Frisco, 40kms North of Dallas.

We are just proposing training just across the border to a neighbouring council area. We will continue to play our games in the centre of Brisbane.

Last edited:
I reckon Sauce Merrett was right in the fact that its about time and the players just want the appropriate facilities that they should be having. I reckon they wouldn't be too concerned and we here on BF are looking into it more than it needs to. If we are able to get World Class facilities that benefit our club who cares if it is a 30min drive. They will most probably car pool anyway and listen to their crap music, instagram and snapchat the crap out of everything on their way.

I don't have as much of a problem with Springfield as a training base, but as a home ground for AFLW games, its a crappy option. National league teams shouldn't play home games that far from their home towns.

I love sweeping generalizations like this.
One of my best clients is senior at BAC and he is far from a moron.

I'm sure United Airlines has some great staff as well, I didn't know we couldn't criticise corporations without every single employee being personally insulted.

I don't have as much of a problem with Springfield as a training base, but as a home ground for AFLW games, its a crappy option. National league teams shouldn't play home games that far from their home towns.
Fair enough, but Melbourne played some of their games in Cranbourne, which I'd hazard to guess is further than Springfield is to Brisbane.

Demons women play at Casey Fields - 50kms/45 mins from the MCG... with tolls.

Springfield Lakes is 27kms/27 mins from the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons women play at Casey Fields - 50kms/45 mins from the MCG... with tolls.

Springfield Lakes is 27kms/27 mins from the Gabba.
And at the end of the slowest commuting highway in Brisbane. Averages 70kph BELOW the speed limit (in peak hour). But generally is a shite fight anyway.

Y

You could write an epic novel about all the twists, turns, bungles and disappointments of the club's and AFLQ's efforts to seek a better outcome since.
Looks like you have your next school holiday assignment TBD.

Springfield is the right option now that I think about it. Vast amount of Brisbanes populations would be about a 15 minute drive away from the boutique stadium. That region is growing at a substantial rate as well so any potential future growth is ripe for the taking. Players probably wouldn't care much that if their commute is extended by 10 minutes if they have world class facilities on hand. 35 million dollars + a large land parcel is something that you just can't turn down. Beggars can't be choosers.

The New York Giants and Washington Redskins actually PLAY in different STATES to the city they are named after. No one calls them the New Jersey Giants or Maryland Redskins.

I know a few Buffalo fans who go for the former... :p

And at the end of the slowest commuting highway in Brisbane. Averages 70kph BELOW the speed limit (in peak hour). But generally is a shite fight anyway.

Players will be going against traffic.

I still feel most of the angst against Springfield from fans is because they personally dont like the location, despite the fact the most dont attend training anyway. I dont think the location is that big of a deal for the players, and any negatives are outweighed by the positives.

The only real problem is the Sharpless stink cloud around it. But i think the new version of the facility is a bit more transparent and has more partnerships and people involved.

Yeah I understand the perception issue. That is a PR problem that the club will have to work hard to address. Steele Tallon's replacement will have their work cut out for them because the negative perceptions from the original proposal are planted deep.

You could write an epic novel about all the twists, turns, bungles and disappointments of the club's and AFLQ's efforts to seek a better outcome since. Very little of it is public knowledge. They have fought exceptionally hard from a position of financial weakness and political irrelevance. The Springfield arrangement is significantly improved from its previous incarnation, and it ticks way more boxes than any other option that is even semi-realistically available.

I've gone from "no ******* way, not ever" to "this needs to happen". I hope the club is in a position to talk about this all in more detail soon. Because I can understand the negativity and worry of fans that grows in the absence of information.

TBD have you had any word on possible sites at the port precinct.

The BAC no go is disappointing as a Brisbane dweller , communal requirements are always second to the corporate dollar .
I guess any land around the Port is a no go either and by the way is a 30min drive from Bulimba anytime of day.
Makes me sad and angry to think all that land and what are they using it for .
F.....g warehouses for Bunnings and other multi national corporations to stow there second rate goods .

Rant over .
Springfield here we come .

Yep. Its happening now, and it sounds like a positive step.

We should be making a profit most years, or at least breaking even with 2 mil less in expenses every year.

Would the AFL pay us to host AFLW games at the ground?

It would probably won't be free in 2019 anyway but I assume they'd cover any losses.

Believe it or not the traffic goes both ways and is slow both ways, inbound at 5pm is a snail.

Believe it or not I have also travelled on the Ipswich Motorway. I feel you are exaggerating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back