Free Kick Ladder 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Differential between for an against is probably more relevant , though as dogs fans like to point out its not the total that matters anyway (easy to say when you kissed on the rear by umps)

That is from a quick count per the stats and shows the usual eagles and dogs at the top, carlton though geez umps must feel bad

1- Carlton 24 + frees more than given away
2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez

Collingwood also have the second lowest number of frees against. For some reason umpires put away the whistle in our games. There's only been 158 frees in total in our 5 games, compared to 222 in Richmond games. Even more remarkable when you consider we've played Richmond. The 64 free differential has happened in just 4 games.

Differential between for an against is probably more relevant , though as dogs fans like to point out its not the total that matters anyway (easy to say when you kissed on the rear by umps)

That is from a quick count per the stats and shows the usual eagles and dogs at the top, carlton though geez umps must feel bad

2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez

its well documented that the tiges get umpired with a different rule book

no such thing as holding the ball or illegal disposal when we tackle, also anything above our shoulders is fair play

2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez

Context
Dogs and eagles get away with holding the ball and throws more than other teams, Geelong are shocking for holding off the ball without penalty, and to stop cats fans getting all antsy over a hawk fan, Hawks get away with arm chops a fair bit

This is how perceptions of clubs come about, not because of a positive or negative free kick count, but because different standards are held

Context
Dogs and eagles get away with holding the ball and throws more than other teams, Geelong are shocking for holding off the ball without penalty, and to stop cats fans getting all antsy over a hawk fan, Hawks get away with arm chops a fair bit

This is how perceptions of clubs come about, not because of a positive or negative free kick count, but because different standards are held

Yep, every game and team are diffferent.

I think we are one of the few codes in the world that change interpretation of rules week to bloody week

2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez

This is absolutely all that matters. Teams that generate more stoppages will tend to have more frees paid in general so a number by itself is meaningless.

A percentage of total frees paid in games you play would probably be even more telling, but would probably need more than 5 games to have a real difference over the basic +/- differential. Doing it quickly, it only swaps North and Collingwood from the differential list.

Was never 9-2, couldn't have been because up until halfway through the second quarter it was eagles 4, Hawks 2

Nice try though

Half time scoreboard definitely was something like hawks 7 wce 2 (or even 9 to 2).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's a measure of frees not paid rather than frees paid which the ladder shows. A lot harder to measure that because it requires a view (sometimes subjective) on whether a free should've been paid but wasn't. Don't know how you develop a stat for that.
A percentage of total frees paid in games you play would probably be even more telling, but would probably need more than 5 games to have a real difference over the basic +/- differential. Doing it quickly, it only swaps North and Collingwood from the differential list.
Agree with this. Would also be interesting if there were stats on which umpires pay which types of frees. Ideally any variation would be statistically insignificant but may draw out whether there are trends in which umps may be more prone to paying some frees than others.

I remember once watching those 'Last 2 minutes' replays of a close game the AFL website put up. I was neutral - it wasn't a Richmond game.

Just for fun, I decided to look at what frees COULD have been paid. I reckon I saw at least 6 incidents where the umps could have blown the whistle - both ways - nothing really blatant stood out (at least from the angle the TV camera was). There was at least one free paid - yeah, I suppose it was there. We have a very, very subjective game as far as rules enforcement goes. Don't like it? - don't watch it, then.

Umpiring is like the funny-shaped ball we use. It's part of the game - sometimes it bounces your way in a close finish. If you try and rationalise it any other way - or worse, invent some conspiracy theory - you will never come to peace with it. It's been that way for ever, and always will be.

I remember once watching those 'Last 2 minutes' replays of a close game the AFL website put up. I was neutral - it wasn't a Richmond game.

Just for fun, I decided to look at what frees COULD have been paid. I reckon I saw at least 6 incidents where the umps could have blown the whistle - both ways - nothing really blatant stood out (at least from the angle the TV camera was). There was at least one free paid - yeah, I suppose it was there. We have a very, very subjective game as far as rules enforcement goes. Don't like it? - don't watch it, then.

Umpiring is like the funny-shaped ball we use. It's part of the game - sometimes it bounces your way in a close finish. If you try and rationalise it any other way - or worse, invent some conspiracy theory - you will never come to peace with it. It's been that way for ever, and always will be.

The bounce of the ball might be a random factor but it doesn't change from quarter to quarter, game to game or year to year like the umpiring does.

The bounce of the ball also doesn't favour certain teams like the umpiring favours certain teams.

The bounce of the ball is a random factor without any bias or manipulation, the same can't be said for the umpiring unfortunately.

2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez
Well done on the Swans winning the free kick count on Saturday.

It is after all more important than the score to Swans fans.

West Coast are going to be in front by the end of the derby with the umpires assigned to the game.
Yep probably the 3 umpires I least wanted to see named.
We will get reamed, I'm predicting around 2/1 in WC's favour with a few scoring shots from frees inside 50.

The bounce of the ball might be a random factor but it doesn't change from quarter to quarter, game to game or year to year like the umpiring does.

The bounce of the ball also doesn't favour certain teams like the umpiring favours certain teams.

The bounce of the ball is a random factor without any bias or manipulation, the same can't be said for the umpiring unfortunately.

Nice bit of umpiring favouring St Kilda on the weekend winning the free kick count 17 to 10. I don't expect any comment from you on this but it would be wonderful if hawthorn could get the sort of run that St Kilda seems get week in week out.

Did you watch the game or look at the free kick count only?

Looks like the freekick count is only being used in the ladder.

I mean if you get more than you giveaway -then surely you are being favoured right?

Even last night - there were 3 or 4 calls that a supporter could easily recollect that perhaps went WCs way. As it wasm I reckon we got the rub of the green sat night - particularly in the first half.

However I have watched games where we were awarded more free kicks then the opposition and think we were dudded and equally other games where we got less and thought we got lucky.

2- west coast 18+
3- Western Bulldogs 14+
4- north 12+
5 collingwood 10+
6 hawthorn 10+
7 Melbourne 6+
8- Port 6+

9- Brisbane 2+
10- Gold coast 1+
11- Essendon -4
12- fremantle -5
13- geelong. -9
14- sydney -12
15 GWS -14
16- adelaide -14
17- Stkilda. -18
18- Richmond -28....geez

All that shows is that Carlton, West Coast, Bulldogs and North are very disciplined teams and Richmond, Saints, Adelaide and GWS are Undisciplined,

Nice bit of umpiring favouring St Kilda on the weekend winning the free kick count 17 to 10. I don't expect any comment from you on this but it would be wonderful if hawthorn could get the sort of run that St Kilda seems get week in week out.

Yeah how dare St Kilda win a free kick count, us winning a rare free kick count doesn't make my complaints about the umpiring we usually get any less valid.

What free kicks did we get yesterday that we didn't deserve? We dominated play and it's not like the umpiring affected the result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back