Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does one start?

Well, start with the fact that SPS was only on the ground for 79 minutes, 2nd lowest in the entire game.

But the guy still manages a near BoG performance?

22 disposals (17 kicks, 10 contested), 2 goals, 7 score involvements (equal 1st on team) and 20 pressure acts (5th on team).

His impact on games once he has a few pre-seasons to build on? Frightening.

:fire:

Is there any rule against SPS playing in a cape?

when he fell to us in the draft i was laughing, i'm glad we didn't get Taranto because his disposal is horrible by foot. SPS could prove to be the best player from last seasons draft, he is so smart with his disposal and little taps

Actually took over the game in second quarter. Extraordinary. The kids ARE alright.
Actually the kids are more than alright.
Sps-elite
Fisher-very good
Will-extremely good
Macreadie-good
Marchbank-will be elite
Charlie-xfactor
Sos-very good
Weiters-will be elite.

One more draft of quality picks and we're on our way.
Actually took over the game in second quarter. Extraordinary. The kids ARE alright.

One that might have been overlooked was how he protected the mark he took in forward fifty in the second quarter when he kicked his second goal. The defender was out of the picture, but even if he'd been on Sammo's tail, he'd have struggled to punch the ball clear. Arms were out front, and he brought the ball down quickly. Perfect technique. Very smart play from a smaller player.

I completely forgot we had bid on Setterfield. Could turn out to be one of the great sliding doors moments in AFL history

We bid on Setterfield

We ended up with Bestafield

Last edited:
I completely forgot we had bid on Setterfield. Could turn out to be one of the great sliding doors moments in AFL history
Reminds me of that Peter Allen song The Setterfield Taddler..........

Last edited:
One that might have been overlooked was how he protected the mark he took in forward fifty in the second quarter when he kicked his second goal. The defender was out of the picture, but even if he'd been on Sammo's tail, he'd have struggled to punch the ball clear. Arms were out front, and he brought the ball down quickly. Perfect technique. Very smart play from a smaller player.

I saw it as arms in front, bum out to protect from the spoil. Did tuck the head in a touch as soon as he got his hands around it but can't blame him there.

I saw it as arms in front, bum out to protect from the spoil. Did tuck the head in a touch as soon as he got his hands around it but can't blame him there.

Jarrad Waite used to do that a fair bit as well... the old bum out, drop the arms quickly move. Smart footballers protect the footy from the defenders and this bloke's doing it on the big stage in his seventh game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that blows me away about this kid is his attitude and workrate. It's genuine, infectious and he clearly just loves playing footy and doing whatever he needs to out on the field for the team to have a good chance at victory. He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to lairise or just have his own highlights package.

Then you combine all that with his obvious all round skillset and talent. It's scary.

The thing that blows me away about this kid is his attitude and workrate. It's genuine, infectious and he clearly just loves playing footy and doing whatever he needs to out on the field for the team to have a good chance at victory. He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to lairise or just have his own highlights package.

Then you combine all that with his obvious all round skillset and talent. It's scary.

The most rounded game I've seen from a first year player, he really can do it all, he only played 75% game time, when he gets a tank, he will be a super star, seems like a ripper kid too, so happy SOS got this kid to the club.

I honestly can't think of the last player we had that looked comfortable doing ALL of:

A - running with the ball in space
B - tackling hard in close
C - hitting up on the lead and marking
D - kicking set shot goals
E - kicking long with accuracy

In all seriousness, he looks to have a HELLUVA skillset. Even some of our very best of recent years can't tick all those 5.
I would go as far as predicting that SPS will be better than Cripps. He can find the ball like Cripps does. He has good vision like Cripps. Can handball like Cripps, but he is a helluva a better kick than Cripps. His goal from 45m comfortably cleared the goal line & his footskills in traffic are sublime, e.g. that pass inboard to a teammate on 50 is something that only a handful of AFL players could do.

My son got a new jumper this year and he predictably got a number 1 on the back. I told him to get another 5. He wouldn't listen.

Seriously, it's like a flashmob when SPS gets it. Everyone stands still all of a sudden and he just seems to stroll through.

Love little Jack Silvagni but Samo is going to be something special.

I would go as far as predicting that SPS will be better than Cripps. He can find the ball like Cripps does. He has good vision like Cripps. Can handball like Cripps, but he is a helluva a better kick than Cripps. His goal from 45m comfortably cleared the goal line & his footskills in traffic are sublime, e.g. that pass inboard to a teammate on 50 is something that only a handful of AFL players could do.

Some of the things he does, it's like he's taking the piss, nailing kicks like that one inboard, on a way day.
The way he plays in the wet it's like he's playing in dry conditions, so clean and this kid is 1st year player.
I wouldn't swap SPS for any of the kids taken in the draft ahead of him, think McGrath and Taranto are great prospects, but IMO SPS was the kid who should have gone pick 1.

I also have a hard on for SPS (pardon the crudeness).

But while SPS certainly presents as having more tricks than Cripps, let's not forget that the calibre of Cripps' main party trick (clearances) is almost unprecedented in modern footy.

When you factor in the fact that clearances are usually the forte of older players and Cripps blitzed the field in his (kinda) 2nd season, his skill while not sexy and/or complete as a midfielder is hard to undersell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back