Toast Tom Hawkins - 200 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom+Hawkins+AFL+Rd+17+Geelong+v+Essendon+FE65hq9UrdPl.jpg

hawkins.PNG

hawkins.PNG

Congrats on 200 games big fella. :thumbsu:

971c4184f0c7f7eb83a9867a6a6c35e566125a61ab7eeb423c5038a43ceb320d.jpg

Congrats Tom. Hope you have a huge night, bag the lazy half dozen and have about half a dozen players chair you off after the game after a resounding win. :p

Bar the 2011 GF, my favourite Hawkins moment ever.

Who would have thought he'd get to 200 games. I remember replying to Main Board threads on an old account in late 2010/early 2011, 'Who's Your Whipping Boy?', 'Who's the Worst Player In Your 22?', 'Worst Kick At Your Club'. The answer from Cats supporters almost exclusively was "Tom Hawkins (and Mark Blake)". I'm guilty of such comments myself. It took years of development, stints in the twos and a shitload of persistence. Edging toward the 2011 Final Series, even "expert" David King saw no adequate alternative in the forwardline to Cameron Mooney. I was almost offended by Hawkins' improvement because his form had warranted Mooney's (my favourite player of all time's) omission. Chris Scott had other plans to the rest of us. In hindsight, I am so, so, so glad. Hawkins - a rotund legend.

Brilliant player. Would be an 800 goal player by now if he played in the older era, circa 1980s/1990s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he retires, I'm pretty sure he'll be the 3rd highest goal kicker for the club. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Ablett St or Wade but who is better out of Hawkins and Brownless?

Everyone talks about his 2011 GF as when he broke out, but IMO he was very good in all our finals that year. If he kicked straight that last quarter of the GF though and he is a Norm Smith medalist I'd say as well as a premiership player as he would have finished with 6 or 7.

A huge man who has almost single handedly carried our fwd line at times, and almost has single handedly won games for us as well... probably a large source of frustration as well but that is because our expectations are so high.

Such a shame his back blew up in 2013, a fit Hawk off the back of his All Australian and Carji winning 2012 likely destroys the comp and wins us another flag.

And on top of all else he seems to be a genuinely ripping bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back