Nat Fyfe: ruined by injuries?

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is though, if you get someone like Fyfe and he costs you not only a huge chunk of your salary cap, but also potentially two really good draft picks, you're basically giving up 3 really good opportunities to get a "gun" (one with each draft pick, plus at least one more with the money, since you can now get someone through FA for just money), for one guy.

That's fine if you reckon that one guy is the last piece of the puzzle for a premiership, but if he isn't, it might not be the best idea to throw so many of your trade and draft assets at him, like say Carlton did when they got Judd.

Sure the kids you get with the first rounders in the draft (or from a lesser trade) probably won't be as good as a Fyfe, but the thing is, if you get two who are at least long term best 22 types from the picks, then you still have that huge amount of salary cap space available to go after a different "big fish" next year, when you're more ready for them to be the "final piece of the puzzle".
That's true but in my opinion a club like St Kilda is screaming out for a player like Fyfe if he plays at his best. I'd much rather take the punt on Fyfe than hoping 2 picks land me a Brownlow level talent.

Carlton got 3 number one draft picks. While they've all turned out to be pretty good players (despite what some idiots argue) none of them are Fyfe level talents. They are really hard to find. I just think you have to take the punt unless your team is miles off contending. If it was Carlton going for Fyfe I'd have my doubts, but I think St Kilda is possibly a good landing spot for him.

The Carlton situation wasn't as costly as some make out. Yes we traded away Kennedy but the other bloke we traded was Masten who has hardly turned into anything notable. We took a punt and the team as a whole didn't work out, but I'd probably still do that trade. Kennedy would have just ended up a good forward in an average team.

That's true but in my opinion a club like St Kilda is screaming out for a player like Fyfe if he plays at his best. I'd much rather take the punt on Fyfe than hoping 2 picks land me a Brownlow level talent.

Carlton got 3 number one draft picks. While they've all turned out to be pretty good players (despite what some idiots argue) none of them are Fyfe level talents. They are really hard to find. I just think you have to take the punt unless your team is miles off contending. If it was Carlton going for Fyfe I'd have my doubts, but I think St Kilda is possibly a good landing spot for him.

The Carlton situation wasn't as costly as some make out. Yes we traded away Kennedy but the other bloke we traded was Masten who has hardly turned into anything notable. We took a punt and the team as a whole didn't work out, but I'd probably still do that trade. Kennedy would have just ended up a good forward in an average team.

I agree re the Judd trade in that nobody, including experts, predicted how good Kennedy was going to become.

And I agree that Fyfe is part of a short group of elite AFL players.

But for me Fyfe completes St Kilda but not if their current form continues.

If St Kilda were top four wanting to break through, like North Melbourne over recent years, then he would be great and possibly the difference.

St Kilda need to show more. I really thought they would this year so far.

How do you know Carlton would have drafted Masten? They could have wanted Dangerfield at 3 (or a spud like Morton) for all we know.

How do you know Carlton would have drafted Masten? They could have wanted Dangerfield at 3 (or a spud like Morton) for all we know.
Dangerfield went pick 10. Our recruitment back then would not have taken a punt on a guy that went to 10 at pick 3.

the other thing to remember about kennedy is that carlton had fevola who kicked 99 goals in judds first year. the abrupt exit of fevola was something that the club certainly weren't banking on when they made that trade.

Dangerfield at 10 was seen as a reach at the time, no way he was going at 3.

Wasn't that great on the weekend, but has been instrumental in most of our victories. Definitely room for him to improve at 25 years old and after a year out.

He will re-sign in the next couple of months, I have no doubt about it. People who think he won't, don't watch or listen to him that closely.

Or maybe he's just a little out of form whilst also trying to focus on being the club captain for the 1st time. Wouldn't be the first time a player was made captain and struggled for his 1st season.

He's also coming back from significant injuries, starting to build, but it's hard when your last proper season was brownlow quality. Everyone remembers that.

I think you'll see him click into gear after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't that great on the weekend, but has been instrumental in most of our victories. Definitely room for him to improve at 25 years old and after a year out.

He will re-sign in the next couple of months, I have no doubt about it. People who think he won't, don't watch or listen to him that closely.
I disagree, I believe Fyfe will stay but he's definitely weighing up his options. He hasn't said anything yet that makes me think he's 100% staying.

I think he is pacing himself more so he doesn't get injured, which would drop his value a little bit. He was a steamroller from 2012-2015... he doesn't really do that this year, lest his legs fracture or shoulder pops.

But also (assuming he re-signs) pacing himself for 18-19-20 Dockers challenge. And then he leaves as a handy veteran to another club if they didn't win the cup

His first quarter vs Richmond was what he was doing for 3 quarters in 15
And that set up a lead for them at the mcg

Seriously what kinda dill leaves after one year as captain

Not if everything is ticked off (as much as you can)

I reckon St Kilda are in for him and have proposed a deal where both sides are happy. Could be saving his body for a big 2018 season as St Kilda will be getting there grove on better than 2017

Meh, either way I'd be happy. Either keep Fyfe (win) or Freo gets two first round draft picks to help with their rebuild (win)

He's been Adam Cooney'd.

Doubt it, he doesn't have a degenerative injury, he's just warming back into it after a significant acute injury.

Too early to worry yet OP. He's certainly lacking his previous explosiveness at the moment, but I'm happy to give him this year to regain his touch and adapt to the demands of the captaincy. After 12 months back and a full preseason I'm expecting him to bounce back next year.

One thing's for sure, he's the type of guy who will be driven to improve and willing to put in the work.

He's been Adam Cooney'd.

Give it 5 years, people will forget he was ever good and he'll be labeled as bad as woewodin. Or Priddis
Five years is generous. Just one season ago Fyfe was in GOAT discussions (by the same people who are now speaking of Danger in this way) and Ablett had just been consigned to injury prone hack status. I give it one year.

I predict this thread will end well.

Is clearly struggling with the injury aftermath to some extent. He isn't springing off the leg for marks like he was and while his top speed is fine, he's down on that burst acceleration he had previously. You'd think the field kicking issues are related to that because while he's never been a good set shot, his field kicking when not under pressure has always been very good.

Remains to be seen whether it is permanent, semi-permanent or he will be back at 100% after another off-season (it took Barlow a solid ~12 months to be back at his best). My bet is he never becomes what he theoretically could have been but still regains most of his previous form.

Reckon he knows his not going to be at Freo next year. Saving the body

Was on fire at the start of the season. Somethings happened

Nah, you haven't watched him enough mate. He's been the same all season.

Top notch foamer-bait though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back