Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not big on shitcanning AFL players, because anyone that has played one game of AFL footy has played one more game than I ever have. But...

Tyrone Vickery has to be the worst I've ever seen. The "why" is because he's never improved. Never made any progress as a footballer. He's played at the same disappointing, low level since day one. Players become "whipping boys" unfairly sometimes. The criticism aimed at Tyrone, has always appeared to be justified and warranted in my view.

To make matters worse. He seems to have a lot to say on field. More than most. Certainly too much for someone who has accomplished nothing in footy and a player with zero credibility.

Adam Morgan, Tim Callan, Ed Barlow, Veszpremi etc.
Veszpremi could play he just had the tank of an 80 year old waiting for a lung transplant.

The others are fair nominations but if we're talking Dogs players, James Mulligan is the one I always think of.

Veszpremi could play he just had the tank of an 80 year old waiting for a lung transplant.

The others are fair nominations but if we're talking Dogs players, James Mulligan is the one I always think of.

Yeah agreed Veszpremi had more talent in him than a lot of successful AFL footballers, but would have struggled to run out of sight on a dark night. Had that body size/shape that was a bit unsuited to the intensity of professional footy.

Of those mentioned I reckon Tim Callan had a bit to his game too. Did some good things for the Dogs in that moderately successful prelim final "era".

Yeah agreed Veszpremi had more talent in him than a lot of successful AFL footballers, but would have struggled to run out of sight on a dark night. Had that body size/shape that was a bit unsuited to the intensity of professional footy.

Of those mentioned I reckon Tim Callan had a bit to his game too. Did some good things for the Dogs in that moderately successful prelim final "era".
Vez is always my go-to example when I try to explain the difference between VFL- and AFL-level intensity. He regularly had 35+ disposals and was the dominant player on the ground in the VFL, but within 5 minutes of an AFL game he was gassed and could no longer get to contests. It was actually quite bizarre.

My memory of Callan is sketchy at best but I do remember him going ok at times at the Dogs. I don't think he had enough tricks in the end, but worst player is probably unfair.

Sounds like Patrick McCartin.
McCartin repeatedly wills himself to contests though, in spite of his lack of endurance. Vez just didn't possess that drive - as soon as he got tired he would stand in the pocket and catch his breath for the rest of the quarter.

Vez is always my go-to example when I try to explain the difference between VFL- and AFL-level intensity. He regularly had 35+ disposals and was the dominant player on the ground in the VFL, but within 5 minutes of an AFL game he was gassed and could no longer get to contests. It was actually quite bizarre.

My memory of Callan is sketchy at best but I do remember him going ok at times at the Dogs. I don't think he had enough tricks in the end, but worst player is probably unfair.

Ben McKinley was a bit the same. Good natural marking forward but like Tory Dickson too small to be a key forward, but unlike Tory Dickson couldn't carve out a role at AFL level. A lot of players go the other way. Rowan Jones used to pick up 40+ touches for fun for Claremont because he had AFL pre-seasons under his belt and could run all day. He could find the ball at AFL level but even as a regular fixture in the 22 he was 15-20 touches a game player. He didn't have the pace or penetration on his kicking to translate his WAFL form.

Then you get guys like Lewis Jetta. He had 28 touches on the weekend, which is his 2nd highest in 142 games. Not a high possession player in general but has pace and footskills that are better than most AFL players let alone WAFL. Regularly goes back to the WAFL and just coasts through games.

Sounds like Patrick McCartin.

McCartin is of the right sort of height and role to make the bulk work for him.

Can't help but feel McKinley would have been a lot more successful had he come into the AFL in the mid to late 90's. Still carved out a handy sort of career though so good on him.

McCartin is of the right sort of height and role to make the bulk work for him.

Can't help but feel McKinley would have been a lot more successful had he come into the AFL in the mid to late 90's. Still carved out a handy sort of career though so good on him.
McKinkey played 48 games over 6 seasons. His only good year was 2008.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played 297 AFL games more than you champ :thumbsu:

He was an absolute sheepdog hung around the edges waiting for cheap possessions. Kicked it 30m up and 30m long .

No impact on a game and frightened the whole time....

But no one can ever take those games away from him.

Pretty much anyone the Bulldogs recruited from another side in the 2000s.

Adam Morgan, Tim Callan, Ed Barlow, Veszpremi etc.

And Shane Birss who went the other way. **** me he was ordinary.
To my mind, the worst Bulldog player to play 50 games was Patrick Bowden.

Patrick was skilled and a good size, but frightened of his own shadow.
I have a memory of a pre-season game in 2005 against Carlton where he was running towards the ball and saw Cory McGrath coming towards him. He piked the contest and went down as if he had been hit by a Mack truck. he had to be carried off, but had no injury and they had him back on the ground in 5 mins.

He then went to Richmond and looked good for a year until everyone worked out that he was only any good away from the contest. He disappeared to suburban footy after that.

Given Tom Boyd almost (should have imo) won the Norm Smith as a 20/21 year old and arguably won the doggies a grand final, can't understand why he would be in this thread.

Without him, the doggies would still be waiting for that next premiership. Seems like a lot of sour people on this thread.
It's not a sexy story, but Tom Boyd is just about the best U-21 ruckman in the AFL - I can't think of any other U-21 ruckman who is impacting games at AFL level to the same level as Boydy, and all in less than 12 months of playing the position.

I notice that Darcy Moore is getting the 2nd ruck treatment now, which will only help his overall game. Been terrific the last 2 and a half games.

These 2 qualify.

Having these guys on the list demonstrates how bad Blues were

470_O_hAilpin_wideweb__470x347,0.jpg

It's not a sexy story, but Tom Boyd is just about the best U-21 ruckman in the AFL - I can't think of any other U-21 ruckman who is impacting games at AFL level to the same level as Boydy, and all in less than 12 months of playing the position.

I notice that Darcy Moore is getting the 2nd ruck treatment now, which will only help his overall game. Been terrific the last 2 and a half games.

How many ruckmen under 21 play first ruck in AFL? Kinda like being the best CHF in Czechoslovakia.

Derek Hall
David Clarke
Henry Playfair
Charlie Gardiner
Peter Street
Matt McCarthy
Tristen Lynch
Jason Mooney
Brent Grgic
Kane Tenace

Spring immediately to mind.
Brent Grgic played some ripper games for Melbourne in his first few years. Then turned to dog turd over niggt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Never mind his age, Boyd is our best ruckman period - we were annihilated in the rucks and clearances last night with him out.

He's among the worst performing ruckmen in the league in terms of stoppage work (clearances, tackles, 1%ers), and gets a pretty low volume of hitouts, so I doubt he would have made much difference.

The Dogs are doing their midfielders a disservice by not having a proper mature ruckman in there. A must this off-season.

He's among the worst performing ruckmen in the league in terms of stoppage work (clearances, tackles, 1%ers), and gets a pretty low volume of hitouts, so I doubt he would have made much difference.

The Dogs are doing their midfielders a disservice by not having a proper mature ruckman in there. A must this off-season.
He's a forward.
Not a ruck.
He's just filling the spot.
I think that he has been serviceable.
I'm watching McCartin right now and McCartin is making Boyd look like Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back