Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HATE HATE HATE going to cinemas with friends or on dates.

I've never understood why going to watch a movie needs to be a social thing.

I get that sometimes going with friends is cool, but people act like going alone makes you weird or sad, it's something I don't get.

I HATE HATE HATE going to cinemas with friends or on dates.

I've never understood why going to watch a movie needs to be a social thing.

I get that sometimes going with friends is cool, but people act like going alone makes you weird or sad, it's something I don't get.
Have no problem whatsoever going to the movies on my own. I used to review films and my wife couldn't always go, so would just go alone. Now, I live five minutes from my cinema, so often go late on a weeknight. Given you're supposed to shut up when the movie starts, it shouldn't really be a social thing. That said, I probably wouldn't go on a Saturday night on my own.

Why does what day it is matter?
Saturday night is more busy and full of couples and social groups; just think you would feel like you're standing out a bit more. Weeknights are quiet. It's just perception and I probably wouldn't hold me back but I hate going to the movies on busy nights anyway, much prefer a late night Sunday or Monday session.

Everyone here likes to sit in the same area of seating, no issue going alone but its likely you'll have people in groups sitting close to you.

Sent from mTalk

Everyone here likes to sit in the same area of seating, no issue going alone but its likely you'll have people in groups sitting close to you.

Sent from mTalk
Do those groups of people stop watching the movie and watch you instead while whispering to each other about you?

Saturday night is more busy and full of couples and social groups; just think you would feel like you're standing out a bit more. Weeknights are quiet. It's just perception and I probably wouldn't hold me back but I hate going to the movies on busy nights anyway, much prefer a late night Sunday or Monday session.

i feel the opposite. You blend into the crowd on a busy night and people on dates or out with their mates arent going to be taking notice of you.

though if you want to go movies by yourself, just go. it's worse if you plan your trip to the movies on a specific night so that you'll feel like less of a loser.

Kids should not be front and centre for the parents/grandparents etc birthdays.

Am I the only person who seriously sees how dumb it is when a child is unwrapping their parents present for them, sitting on the lap during cake and everyone sings whilst looking at the child completely ignoring the birthday person, blowing out their candles for them.

Heck, inmy family, if the cake is something the kids might not like (e.g cheesecake) someone always goes out and buys a chocolate or ice cream cake separate just for the kids to eat, how bloody stupid is that? They should either eat the cake, or if they don't like it, they can have a bit of ice cream or some lollies or something. buying an extra cake when its not even the kids birthdays is stupid and a waste of money, it basically tells kids that its all about them.

When I was a kid I hated everyone focusing on me for someone elses birthday (more to do with hating being centre of attention more than anything) now kids expect it.

Am I the only person who seriously sees how dumb it is when a child is unwrapping their parents present for them, sitting on the lap during cake and everyone sings whilst looking at the child completely ignoring the birthday person, blowing out their candles for them.

Heck, inmy family, if the cake is something the kids might not like (e.g cheesecake) someone always goes out and buys a chocolate or ice cream cake separate just for the kids to eat, how bloody stupid is that? They should either eat the cake, or if they don't like it, they can have a bit of ice cream or some lollies or something. buying an extra cake when its not even the kids birthdays is stupid and a waste of money, it basically tells kids that its all about them.

When I was a kid I hated everyone focusing on me for someone elses birthday (more to do with hating being centre of attention more than anything) now kids expect it.
I mean grandparents tend to reach an age where their birthday doesn't mean that much to them and they would rather have their grandchildren have a good time with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do those groups of people stop watching the movie and watch you instead while whispering to each other about you?

I doubt it but as someone that was teased a lot in high school and then a victim of random violence after it, it does play on my mind that groups of people aren't always worried about what they're doing.

Sent from mTalk

We have come full circle in the past 200-300 years (in western culture) from the select few wealthy having prosperity and choice within live over a vast majority to that changing due to circumstances including the industrialisation of the world allowing most to have access to a job that could provide access to basic housing, food and living necessities with further comforts to a present state where these are becoming harder to access for current generations while the wealthy have re-established themselves at the top.

Yeah but the kids in the family get a thrill out of it. Myself personally I really don't give a stuff about unwrapping presents or blowing out candles on a cake.

Yeah but the kids in the family get a thrill out of it. Myself personally I really don't give a stuff about unwrapping presents or blowing out candles on a cake.

Yeah I get that, it's a pretty childish kinda thing really.. but sometimes kids need to learn it's not always about then

As an intellectual, I find it tough to come across people with similar taste in film, so often attend screenings of critically acclaimed 'foreign' films on my own. It's not necessarily ideal, but whatever. Usually I'm not the only person on their own in said screenings anyway, so no biggie.

As an intellectual, I find it tough to come across people with similar taste in film, so often attend screenings of critically acclaimed 'foreign' films on my own. It's not necessarily ideal, but whatever. Usually I'm not the only person on their own in said screenings anyway, so no biggie.
You should join a meet up group.

So by 'foreign' films do you mean Euro pr0n? I imagine most people would prefer to watch those types of films on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back