Tasmania ? How would YOU solve the Economic challenge to get Tassie in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't happen when they wanted them on the Gold Coast

Which makes me concerned we will get a pretend FIFO club which pretends not to be in Tassie which pretends its really a Melbourne club which pretends to give a rats clacker about Tasmanian football & people here will pretend to follow them.
AFL pretence?

Which makes me concerned we will get a pretend FIFO club which pretends not to be in Tassie which pretends its really a Melbourne club which pretends to give a rats clacker about Tasmanian football & people here will pretend to follow them.
AFL pretence?
Yes, unfortunately that wouldnt surprise me

AFL pretence?
Agree, this would not go anywhere near optomizing what a home grown Tassie team could bring to the AFL competition. A true Tassie team would easily get many more members and have a genuine support base that a relocated Melbourne team could not hope to get. IMO part of the solution is for the AFL to facilitate an alternative second bases for Hawthorn and North.....I know many supporters are not keen on secondary homes or so called "selling games" but I'm totally for expansion of the game, the AFL and the clubs......part of this involves taking the game into other parts of the country....ie expanding your club identity without losing your traditional identity....I believe ther are two viable options for North and Hawthorn to consider if the wish. Bulldogs will be playing in Ballarat in the future...this leaves Cairns as an option and the other is Albury-Wodonga. These locations obviously increase exposure of AFL into NSW/Qld. North and Hawthorn could still play one game each it Tassie each year....take advantage of the rivalry that would immediately be created.

Agree, this would not go anywhere near optomizing what a home grown Tassie team could bring to the AFL competition. A true Tassie team would easily get many more members and have a genuine support base that a relocated Melbourne team could not hope to get. IMO part of the solution is for the AFL to facilitate an alternative second bases for Hawthorn and North.....I know many supporters are not keen on secondary homes or so called "selling games" but I'm totally for expansion of the game, the AFL and the clubs......part of this involves taking the game into other parts of the country....ie expanding your club identity without losing your traditional identity....I believe ther are two viable options for North and Hawthorn to consider if the wish. Bulldogs will be playing in Ballarat in the future...this leaves Cairns as an option and the other is Albury-Wodonga. These locations obviously increase exposure of AFL into NSW/Qld. North and Hawthorn could still play one game each it Tassie each year....take advantage of the rivalry that would immediately be created.
We are at a stage now where we definitely dont need to be selling four games a season, maybe a couple to any of the areas you mentioned or maybe a deal could be done to play lower drawing games at Etihad now that the AFL own the stadium.

AFL negotiates and buys Cascade Brewery from SABMiller. A Tasmanian team is created, the Tassie Brewers. Draft concessions etc. are granted... we've been down this path. In the lean initial years, revenue is supplemented by the corporate profits of the brewery. The AFL instigates a policy that Cascade is the only beer to be sold at every ground in Australia. The Premiership cup is re-shaped to resemble a Cascade stubby just as the Brewers win their first grand final.

AFL negotiates and buys Cascade Brewery from SABMiller. A Tasmanian team is created, the Tassie Brewers. Draft concessions etc. are granted... we've been down this path. In the lean initial years, revenue is supplemented by the corporate profits of the brewery. The AFL instigates a policy that Cascade is the only beer to be sold at every ground in Australia. The Premiership cup is re-shaped to resemble a Cascade stubby just as the Brewers win their first grand final.

Sultan of Insultan?

And with than I mean why are you trying to be so Insultan to anyone with at least one brain cell.?

Back to watching SOO for you.

So who is going to fund this, who is the equivalent of the Tas Govt who put the dollars into both North & the Hawks - the NT Govt are already paying Melbourne ... you looking for a white knight?

So who is going to fund this, who is the equivalent of the Tas Govt who put the dollars into both North & the Hawks - the NT Govt are already paying Melbourne ... you looking for a white knight?

Once a decision is made as to what AFL football is played by who, no other clubs would be playing home games in Tasmania. It just wouldn't be possible to give suitable support to one entity with some other club flying in to undermine the new club.
Its the same in WA where their was talk of some other club playing home games over in the West. Its just not tenable.
This is the problem associated with so many cash strapped clubs around Port Philip bay. They'll go anywhere for money.

Once a decision is made as to what AFL football is played by who, no other clubs would be playing home games in Tasmania. It just wouldn't be possible to give suitable support to one entity with some other club flying in to undermine the new club.
Its the same in WA where their was talk of some other club playing home games over in the West. Its just not tenable.
This is the problem associated with so many cash strapped clubs around Port Philip bay. They'll go anywhere for money.

:thumbsu: you don't have much alternative in the crowded Melbourne market for sponsorship dollars ... the Open, the Grand Prix, the Spring Carnival, et al ...

They each probably only need to play max of 2 games each at these venues. Bulldogs are exiting Cairns (Population 160,000) so that's available. Albury Wodonga (Population 100,000) Launceston (Pop.88,000) and Hobart (Pop. 220,000). Easily comparable. Albury-Wodonga is AFL territory anyway...and Cairns major industry is tourism...so shouldn't be that hard to get financial backing. The AFL should love it as at least there is a true expansion component to it. Incidently Ballarat Population comparable to all these.. 100,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They each probably only need to play max of 2 games each at these venues. Bulldogs are exiting Cairns (Population 160,000) so that's available. Albury Wodonga (Population 100,000) Launceston (Pop.88,000) and Hobart (Pop. 220,000). Easily comparable. Albury-Wodonga is AFL territory anyway...and Cairns major industry is tourism...so shouldn't be that hard to get financial backing. The AFL should love it as at least there is a true expansion component to it. Incidently Ballarat Popoulation comparable to all these.. 100,000

So who is kicking the can, the local ratepayers, equivalent money to Tas taxpayers. Cant see any local community buying it.

They hosted Richmond from 2011-13 and Western Bulldogs from 2014 till now. Before that they played pre season games up there so why wouldn't they pay for another club to take the doggies place once they move their games to Ballarat? It obviously has neutral benefits for the club(s) and the area

Cairns already do

You are saying Cairns ratepayers are paying? $how much? I don't know for sure, but have been told they don't, its the State Govt in its support of local tourism, Cairns is a tourist destination.

AFL Cairns own Cazalys Stadium, that's AFL Cairns not AFL Queensland.

Since July 2011, Cazaly’s Stadium (owned and managed by AFL Cairns) has hosted a regular season AFL Premiership game which attracts approximately 3,000 interstate visitors and brings an economic benefit to the region of around $3m. Queensland Events have committed $1.8m ($620,000 per year for three years) as part of this initiative. It is noted that AFL Cairns Ltd have not sought funding from Council to assist with costs or hosting fees associated with the event.
http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/65197/14nov12_community_cl5.pdf

I haven't said anything about ratepayers, all I said is why wouldn't an AFL team continue to play games for premiership points at Cazaly's stadium once the Doggies have left regardless of who's paying for it

Well, instead of selling games, have the AFL screw the Vic clubs for less in terms of stadium deals.

Collectively, Vic clubs would make less than $10Million from all the games sold...the AFL has been 'earning' more than that from Docklands alone off the back of these clubs.

Of course, that means ZERO games in all those places, which doesn't suit the AFL's agenda, but hey, according to some here, letting markets that aren't big enough to have their own teams is exploiting them....So places like Cairns, Darwin, Alice Springs, Launceston & Hobart should all either get their own team or have nothing at all! Just so long as they don't give a cent to Victorian clubs!

Maybe the AFL force all clubs to host games in these places on a rotational basis in order to satisfy these markets...for free of course. I'm sure Kwality will be the first to offer up WCE to host a game in Darwin for $0 recompense. I mean, it's not like in your urge to hurt Vic clubs you don''t care if all these other places get hurt in the as well...is it?

I haven't said anything about ratepayers, all I said is why wouldn't an AFL team continue to play games for premiership points at Cazaly's stadium once the Doggies have left regardless of who's paying for it

Quite so, as long as anyone will pay ..... example of shortage of sponsorship dollars in Melbourne that would be exacerbated by Tas having its own team, only $6m according to telsor.

Quite so, as long as anyone will pay ..... example of shortage of sponsorship dollars in Melbourne that would be exacerbated by Tas having its own team, only $6m according to telsor.
Pretty much, I think Tassie could easily have it's own team, they have proven it now but other regional areas are a long way off so why not play AFL games in those smaller areas that couldn't support a full time team. Like you said the Melbourne market is overcrowded so I don't see this as being a bad thing considering it moves the game all around the country.

A fraction of what the AFL takes off Vic clubs in ways it doesn't take money off other clubs.

I'm sure you'd have no problem with the AFL taking ~25% of the best seats at the new Perth stadium and only giving the home teams playing a small share of the money they sell them for for example...

Or maybe the WA teams can get over $500K less per game in stadium returns, and in return the league can own the ground eventually.

Of course, if the WA teams DO manage to fill the ground, then any bonuses paid should go to the AFL, not those clubs.

Let's implement all of those, and whenever you get a cent more than the base AFL dividend, we'll call it 'charity', and talk about how your clubs need to be shut down.

A fraction of what the AFL takes off Vic clubs in ways it doesn't take money off other clubs.

I'm sure you'd have no problem with the AFL taking ~25% of the best seats at the new Perth stadium and only giving the home teams playing a small share of the money they sell them for for example...

Or maybe the WA teams can get over $500K less per game in stadium returns, and in return the league can own the ground eventually.

Of course, if the WA teams DO manage to fill the ground, then any bonuses paid should go to the AFL, not those clubs.

Let's implement all of those, and whenever you get a cent more than the base AFL dividend, we'll call it 'charity', and talk about how your clubs need to be shut down.

The supply & concept is tooo difficult for you.

You justify taking from footy fans out of Melbourne to subsidise the Melbourne market.

Sure the AFL could take 25% of the WA stadium IF the landlord allowed it, weird concept that it is - forget your problem with WA for a minute & apply all your logic to Geelong, why would you? Logic might be flawed?

IMO the agenda for the AFL is not about which club can make the most money...more about optomizing the income for the AFL clubs collectively so each club can remain viable and the competition thrive.

The dilemma with Tassie is that two Melbourne clubs are getting a significant income stream from the current arrangement.

Do the AFL relinquish this ?...ie. take responsibilty for a 19th club (Tassie) and then at the same time look to see where they can facilitate Hawthorn and North in opening up other income streams ? ....The ideal scenario for the AFL is that this is achieved by supporting the expansion of the game particularly into NSW and Qld whilst still enabling Hawthorn and North to maintain and grow their traditional home base.

Therefore the AFL optomizes the chance to grow the strongest possible Tassie team...a home grown one.

Last edited:
IMO the agenda for the AFL is not about which club can make the most money...more about optomizing the income for the AFL clubs collectively so each club can remain viable and the competition thrive.

The dilemma with Tassie is that two Melbourne clubs are getting a significant income stream from the current arrangement.

Do the AFL relinquish this ?...ie. take responsibilty for a 19th club (Tassie) and then at the same time look to see where they can facilitate Hawthorn and North in opening up other income streams ? ....The ideal scenario for the AFL is that this is achieved by supporting the expansion of the game particularly into NSW and Qld whilst still enabling Hawthorn and North to maintain and grow their traditional home base.

Therefore the AFL optomizes the chance to grow the strongest possible Tassie team...a home grown one.

Do the AFL relinquish this ?...
how does the AFL balance its overarching responsibility to our game whilst using Taswegian taxpayer money to subsidise Melbourne clubs ? Is Tas seen as traditional support for Victorian footy?

There is an oversupply of AFL footy in Melbourne & its time the AFL face up to it, beginning with Tas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back