2017 St.Kilda Membership Thread (CLUB RECORD 42,094 - 01/08/17)

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly, a lot of them are going to be smaller ones: there were over 900ish one-gamers from the Maddie's Match. Having said that, that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if a lot of those were new members. Our membership team are getting very good at not only making members renew, but expand their memberships. The problem has been getting people to become members in the first place. But once they're signed up, it's usually likely they'll stay, and even expand their membership.

Retention is the key. The fans who sign up past the 40,000 mark arent glued on tragics like us. They are more casual fans who tend to take in high profile Club doings rather than the minutae. Get a big fish? They'll stay. A early draft pick fires from Game 1 and gets in RS contention? They'll stay. Win early games? They'll stay. It wont however take much to make them skittish. Early 2018 losses, or Free Agents to go elsewhere, will be all it takes. A LOT of them will have jumped off after 2011 and have been to the well. Theyve seen early promise, even 19 games straight, mean nothing in the washup of the season.

Its why I might sound a bit impatient on here sometimes. All us diehards know a rebuild takes as long as it takes..and there may be backward steps. The casuals who'll takes us to 45,000 members and beyond arent so forgiving.

I'm more than happy for the result to be celebrated internally like crazy and externally downplayed. Let flogs like the pies crow about their inflated numbers, we'll keep diligently working our collectives off and surprise a few along the way.
Maybe because it's still a pretty small number compared to most other clubs. Despite 42000 members being a target, to celebrate such a relatively low number publicly is a bit like one of our players celebrating a goal when the team is 100 points behind. We might be perceived as being petty or happy with mediocrity or something like that. I'm just guessing that the decision makers at the club see it that way.

I said the brass band and balloons for a bit of a laugh.....I guess I thought they'd just send a brief E/mail out to members saying we hit the target.

But I suspect your spot on austinnn with the clubs thoughts.

Current Membership Tally (28/07/2017):

This Time Last Year (01/08/2016):

Difference:
+4,000

All-Time Tally;
1. 42,009 (2017)
2. 39,276 (2011)
3. 39,021 (2010)
4. 38,009 (2016)
5. 35,440 (2012)

A few weeks ago my Grandmother turned 100, and because she likes to have the footy on the TV and Saints are the family team, my parents (who are members) sent an email to the club asking if maybe they could send her something for the occasion.

Anyway it was a bit late but yesterday in the mail arrived a personally written Happy 100th Birthday card from Danny Frawley and a copy of the 'Strength Through Loyalty' book signed by Jack Steele, Mav Weller and Koby Stevens. I'm sure she would have no idea who any of those current players are (she might know of Spud, not sure) but we as a family certainly appreciate the gesture. Well done again to the Membership/Customer Service team :thumbsupemoji:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the final number for 2017: 42,052.

An amazing achievement for the club. Thanks heaps for your updates mate, much appreciated.

Next step, 45,000+ and some upgrades to social club and reserved seats and a bigger and brighter cheer squad. FYI - the club is internally surveying the cheer squad at the moment, one question was focused on ditching the reserved seats and returning to first in best dressed. Hopefully the club can make some changes to pricing and seating to make it a more accessible option for families and young people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back