Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not comparing it to pediphilia. I'm saying legalising one thing, what's stopping other things becoming legalised in the future, like polygamy and child marriage. Is it pedophilia if a 12 year old wants to marry an adult in the future. She's a minority and wants her marriage legalised. Why should we quell their right?

Look at the trend of lgbqabcdefg or whatever it is now. Firstly it was gay acceptance, then transgender acceptance, then gender fluid acceptance. How much acceptance can we take? What's next? Beastiality acceptance? Scat acceptance? Where does it all end?

Surely it's a "cross that bridge when we come to it" scenario.

I doubt we ever will, though. Such a massive widespread change in public opinion and morality surrounding such acts would be pretty unforseen. Just even acceptance would be nearly unimaginable, let alone such a majority in favour of a law change for there to be a push to legalise. Yeah, you can come back with "people would have said the same about SSM", but I don't think SSM is anything close to pedophilia or beastiality, at all.

Honestly, I wish they'd just legalise SSM, without the vote. Just say "It's here, it's queer, deal with it or ignore it."

Strangely, the people arguing against it are the people it's going to least affect. They probably don't even spend time with a gay or lesbian person (because they're probably homophobic to begin with), let alone a couple that wants to marry, so I don't really see how the idea of a random couple somewhere in the country getting married, without their knowledge, is going to affect their daily life at all. If a man and a woman I don't know get married, what the hell do I care. Hell, I don't even know it's happening unless I know them, so how is this any different?

Last edited:
I'm not comparing it to pediphilia. I'm saying legalising one thing, what's stopping other things becoming legalised in the future, like polygamy and child marriage. Is it pedophilia if a 12 year old wants to marry an adult in the future. She's a minority and wants her marriage legalised. Why should we quell their right?

Look at the trend of lgbqabcdefg or whatever it is now. Firstly it was gay acceptance, then transgender acceptance, then gender fluid acceptance. How much acceptance can we take? What's next? Beastiality acceptance? Scat acceptance? Where does it all end?
Homosexuality was legalised a long time ago... But there were as many pedophilic people before than after.

This has been answered half a dozen times. The answer is Parliament must legislate for each outcome individually. Just because they legalise one thing like marriage between two consenting adults does not mean they will legislate anything further than that. You are being dishonest constantly pushing this stupid question. Parliament will not vote to give a 12 year old the right to marry, since they are not adults and unable to give informed consent. Where it ends is at consenting adult humans - to answer your question specifically.

It ends where society says it ends. Let society be the arbiter of moral rights or wrongs not a small bunch of out of touch bible bashers in Canberra.

Thats the point of dialectical progression. Society debates an issue, comes to a consensus, then makes the change if it deems it appropriate and justifiable.

Going by your stupid braindead logic, we shouldn't have allowed interracial marriage either. To be consistent you would also have to be against interracial marriage. Are you against interracial marriage or are you a hypocrite?

Why are you for it? The presumption that I have to be called out on even the smallest comment is appalling.

So why for it. What does that mean for future generations. Is it advantageous (sp). Is it the opposite. What form of influence does this provide. Happy for answers that are civil.
I'm for it because I don't believe that SSC should be discriminated against, if they want to get married to their respective partner then they should have the option of marriage. Some couples will choose not to get married, the same as heterosexual couples. But we shouldn't deny them the option.

For futures generations it will simply mean that any SSC have the option to be married and that their relationship isn't seen as inferior by the Government.
Of course it's advantageous, weddings are generally extravagant affairs so there's venue hire, catering, florists, photographers, entertainment, dress makers, suit hire so there's an opportunity for more employment.

Now why are you against SSM?

Homosexuality was legalised a long time ago... But there were as many pedophilic people before than after.

FFS. Can we keep this simple. The Government campaigned on a plebiscite. Abbott would have made this happen. Turnbull is my poo on a Sunday morning.

Nobody really gives a s**t. Hands up who is looking forward to their first gay marriage ceremony. If nobody gives a hoot why do it.

It ends where society says it ends. Let society be the arbiter of moral rights or wrongs not a small bunch of out of touch bible bashers in Canberra.

Thats the point of dialectical progression. Society debates an issue, comes to a consensus, then makes the change if it deems it appropriate and justifiable.

Going by your stupid braindead logic, we shouldn't have allowed interracial marriage either. To be consistent you would also have to be against interracial marriage. Are you against interracial marriage or are you a hypocrite?
Let society decide, but when people inside that society differ in opinion, completely ignore their 'brain dead' logic

I'm for it because I don't believe that SSC should be discriminated against, if they want to get married to their respective partner then they should have the option of marriage. Some couples will choose not to get married, the same as heterosexual couples. But we shouldn't deny them the option.

For futures generations it will simply mean that any SSC have the option to be married and that their relationship isn't seen as inferior by the Government.
Of course it's advantageous, weddings are generally extravagant affairs so there's venue hire, catering, florists, photographers, entertainment, dress makers, suit hire so there's an opportunity for more employment.

Now why are you against SSM?

My values.

You're making a tacit connection between homosexuality and paedophilia. You're implying to legalise same-sex marriage means legalising underage marriage. This is false - children cannot give consent, least of all to an adult. There are laws that protect children.

On the other hand, consenting adults - why is wrong for them to be able to marry?

Why are you for it? The presumption that I have to be called out on even the smallest comment is appalling.

So why for it. What does that mean for future generations. Is it advantageous (sp). Is it the opposite. What form of influence does this provide. Happy for answers that are civil.

The Australian Medical Association has come out in favour due to the mental health benefits to the LGBT community. That's as good a reason as any.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...clares-it-a-health-issue-20170518-gw7qi8.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twist my words to make it sound as if I equate a link between pedophilia and homosexual marriage. A big thumbs up for you

Ah but a certain slippery slope scenario suggested that there would be a regression of society towards a time when it was ok for children to marry. Yet we know that traditionally and historically this was true. Fact my friend. Fact.

Let society decide, but when people inside that society differ in opinion, completely ignore their 'brain dead' logic

Its called democracy. We have the debate and the majority opinion wins. Anti-SSM is the minority opinion so should not be the current legal position.

Bronwyn Bishop on Sky using the same dumb slippery slope arguments as people in this thread. How this woman was once the Speaker of our Parliament is a question for the ages.

Ah but a certain slippery slope scenario suggested that there would be a regression of society towards a time when it was ok for children to marry. Yet we know that traditionally and historically this was true. Fact my friend. Fact.
If you are so into facts, when was child marriage last accepted in the modern 'western world'? 1990's?

Which values? That marriage should be between a man and a woman? Perhaps you hold religious values? Do homosexual relationships make you feel sick?

Give me something to work with here.

I have my stance. I can see no reason explaining it here to you. I have no idea why I should.

Who did you vote for last election and why?

And is Dusty better than Nat?

If you are so into facts, when was child marriage last accepted in the modern 'western world'? 1990's?

Do you support interracial marriage? That was previously banned and subsequently changed. According to you this should have been stopped as it should have led to child marriage and bestiality.

Society may well move in that direction into the future, and the laws will follow if that occurs.

People are in polygamist relationships now and the world hasn't fallen off it's axis. Even though it's a separate debate, and probably a little way down the track, giving a legal framework to these sort of relationships isn't an outlandish thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back