2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually think he is quite good. Excellent kick.... just slow

This line about his kicking gets parroted about too much I reckon.

At 8 kicks a game he would have to be absolutely elite off the boot if it's the only reason anyone can ever come up with to defend him.

I think Claye, paps, Bewick, Bell would all be looked at and Close as a trade. I think William will be lucky to survive also.

There has been 5 changes, I am now expecting about 12 with trades. Though we seem to be struggling on the free agent front again.
Bewick, paps, bell, who would take them. No value there in trade, but still have value in depth. All have 1yr left on contract and see them delisted next year unless there is a dramatic change in form. Even if they were traded, they wouldnt get the money they get here so we would have to pay the balance, then pay for the players that replaced them. Not sound economics there. Close maybe, but i still think he has value here. Maybe a cpl more changes but certainly not 12 in total. Probably no free agents left worth taking or that would fit our needs or age requirements. If rocky was to leave as free agent and we pick up a free agent, that would negate any compensation draft pick. Whats more value, a 28-30yr old for a cpl of seasons or pick 19 in the draft potentially a long term player.

i would think Beams future depends on all the other moves to come. I cannot see us only having the 4 senior listed players announced yesterday drop off the list. There is some chance both Hammer and Barrett get promoted. We currently have 1,12,18 so I can't see us only drafting 2 players.

All in all it is clear that more players will be going out to accommodate players coming on to the senior list.

I'd say if both Rocky and Close leave then that might mean Claye is more likely to hang around. If Charlie Cameron comes in that might see him out the door. If our moves mean that we have say pick 75 live we might decide to stick with Beams instead of get a random young kid in.

I definitely don't think its nepotism when compared to Clayton. Clayton had 3 years on the list and got 2 games gifted to him by Leppa who was literally playing everyone on the list at the time. Beams on the other hand got 3 games in a row to end the season from Fagan with 15 listed players playing reserves every week.

Damn re McKenna. Saad? JJ? Someone quick and rebounding.... please.
Claye was picked last 3 games when we had many available in NEAFL. Hopefully doesn't go.

I'd be worried if one of our more senior players was one of our worst- especially considering how young we are.
Think the point was that, on the long road back from the many injuries he's had, he was starting to recapture form in the last couple of rounds. Looked like an AFL player again.

Damn re McKenna. Saad? JJ? Someone quick and rebounding.... please.
Claye was picked last 3 games when we had many available in NEAFL. Hopefully doesn't go.
Charlie Cameron? Has largely been used as a forward for the Crows, but has electric pace and is a reasonable user of the ball

Bewick, paps, bell, who would take them. No value there in trade, but still have value in depth. All have 1yr left on contract and see them delisted next year unless there is a dramatic change in form. Even if they were traded, they wouldnt get the money they get here so we would have to pay the balance, then pay for the players that replaced them. Not sound economics there. Close maybe, but i still think he has value here. Maybe a cpl more changes but certainly not 12 in total. Probably no free agents left worth taking or that would fit our needs or age requirements. If rocky was to leave as free agent and we pick up a free agent, that would negate any compensation draft pick. Whats more value, a 28-30yr old for a cpl of seasons or pick 19 in the draft potentially a long term player.
Agree with this.

i would think Beams future depends on all the other moves to come. I cannot see us only having the 4 senior listed players announced yesterday drop off the list. There is some chance both Hammer and Barrett get promoted. We currently have 1,12,18 so I can't see us only drafting 2 players.

All in all it is clear that more players will be going out to accommodate players coming on to the senior list.

I'd say if both Rocky and Close leave then that might mean Claye is more likely to hang around. If Charlie Cameron comes in that might see him out the door. If our moves mean that we have say pick 75 live we might decide to stick with Beams instead of get a random young kid in.

I definitely don't think its nepotism when compared to Clayton. Clayton had 3 years on the list and got 2 games gifted to him by Leppa who was literally playing everyone on the list at the time. Beams on the other hand got 3 games in a row to end the season from Fagan with 15 listed players playing reserves every week.

Why not?

I said said exactly this quite a few months ago.

We are not a destination club for free agents. Hard to bring in players when they don't want to come. Charlie Cameron aside.

We only need to upgrade Hammer, as he has reached his limit of three years on the rookie list. As of next year rookie listed players don't need to be upgraded to play senior games. Rookies can play senior games straight from the rookie list.

It's a weak and shallow draft. Not a year to be hitting the draft hard.

We currently hold picks 1, 12, 18, 41 and 73. That's five draft picks.

With the number of kids we've drafted in in the last two years, I can see us just bring in 3 or 4 draftees and another rookie draftee.

Not including possibly Rockliff leaving through free agency or a player such as Close being traded, I'm not sure if we'll see more than one or two other list changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with Claye keeping his spot. He can fill a few roles has a mature body we cannot go too young.
Close, Paps and Bewick might do well just moving to another side.
They all have a great upside although have not showed it consistent enough at the lions. Would of added Harwood to this list as well.
Sometimes a change of club might be what they need.
Not sure if Frost and Bell even though contracted will go on with the injuries be interesting there.

With Skinner down again you think Hammer might get another go maybe upgraded or delisted and re rookied?

Geez, i would be open to offering Jack Trengove a spot on the rookie list, would love to give him a chance at a full preseason. At worst we get a solid citizen to guide the youth at neafl level. At best a very good role player over 3 zones.
The problem with that is the "at worst" is what we would otherwise call a list clogger.
I would say Claye Beams fills the roll of someone to guide the youth at NEAFL...

Reading some of the comments in here you'd think we weren't last on the ladder this year and probably the worst performed team overall of the last 3 years.

We have some top end talent, lots of good kids but before yesterday we still had 10ish guys on the list going nowhere on our list and prime delistings (maybe even years ago) if they were on a top 8 list. Now we 'only' have 6ish guys in that position.

Beams, Bewick, Bell, Lyons, Paparone, Frost, Dawson are holding the fort until we can get better players on the list.

I'm crossing every bone in my body they prove me wrong, but our ladder position and their form (and age/number of years in the system) tells me otherwise.

Reading some of the comments in here you'd think we weren't last on the ladder this year and probably the worst performed team overall of the last 3 years.

We have some top end talent, lots of good kids but before yesterday we still had 10ish guys on the list going nowhere on our list and prime delistings (maybe even years ago) if they were on a top 8 list. Now we 'only' have 6ish guys in that position.

Beams, Bewick, Bell, Lyons, Paparone, Frost, Dawson are holding the fort until we can get better players on the list.

I'm crossing every bone in my body they prove me wrong, but our ladder position and their form (and age/number of years in the system) tells me otherwise.
I think Lyons will be a good player, as good as his brother in time, was probably unlucky not to get a run in firsts this year. And who knows if the suns implode the next year or two we could lure his brother here.

I don't believe many people disagree with you. But you can't delist all the players at once. It might take another two years. At the same time there has to be the talent to bring in to replace them. No point delisting 10 players if 6 of the new players are "list cloggers" themselves.

I think there must be concern Ballenden gets selected shortly before 18. If the rumoured interest in Matthew Kennedy is right, then expect 18 might be used with GWS to manufacture a later pick to come back our way.

I think its a little disrespectful saying young Corey Lyons is going nowhere, particularly after his first year.

Sure the odds may be stacked against a kid taken in around pick 60-70, but there is more than just promising signs and grouping him with guys that have been in the AFL system for more than 3 years and in some cases 8 years, is unfair.

FWIW, I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to the other players you listed and even at this early juncture, barring a massive turnaround, think the players we're likely to delist / move on next year are easily identifiable.

Kelly re-signs with gws. Bidding frenzy for rockliff, hello band 1 compo. Picks 1,2.13,19, 42,74. Should get us what we need. Clubs likely to pay overs for rocky to get us band 1 so they dont have to trade draft picks/player if we match their offer for him.

Kelly re-signs with gws. Bidding frenzy for rockliff, hello band 1 compo. Picks 1,2.13,19, 42,74. Should get us what we need. Clubs likely to pay overs for rocky to get us band 1 so they dont have to trade draft picks/player if we match their offer for him.
Would be perfect if that is how it plays out. North fans are apoplectic. If you want a good laugh, have a read of the Josh Kelly Draft thread

Does anyone really think we would get Pick 2 as compo if Rocky leaves?

Seriously?

Rocky will only leave if we get pick 2 as compo IMO. If not we just match the offer and keep him.
Our offer is our offer, it is up to Rocky what he wants to do, but I don't think us getting pick 2 will be in his thinking at all. Especially since it is more secret formula than KFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back