2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Let Rockliff go in FA and get the compo pick. I would also trade Martin. Lions need to rebuild the midfield and give game time to those midfielders from the draft and develop our next generation ruck. I see no point in holding onto to many 27 + year olds or it will burn us in years go come. Beams, Zorko and Rich is enough

Whilst everything I'm hearing points to Rockliff staying and I think he is arguably our best when fully fit, I also think I would be comfortable with getting 19 for Rockliff. We desperately need more young midfield talent and we need to be getting games into that talent.

We've got Christensen and Robbo coming back into the fold too. Beams, Zorko, Robinson, Christensen, Taylor and the other younger types rotating through looks okay to me.

Let Rockliff go in FA and get the compo pick. I would also trade Martin. Lions need to rebuild the midfield and give game time to those midfielders from the draft and develop our next generation ruck. I see no point in holding onto to many 27 + year olds or it will burn us in years go come. Beams, Zorko and Rich is enough

Playing Matho, McCluggage and Berry in there wasn't enough?

Have just been on the Weagles Board mainly to see if there was much talk of Rocky (there wasn't) somebody did discuss trading Jack Darling out out for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. At that price he interests me, would take some pressure off Hippy and Josh (if still with us). Any thoughts?
Eagles fans just throwing up random trades after a bad loss. Wouldn't happen

It's riduculous really that an AFL- manufactured benchmark $ amount can make a difference of 17 (or 18) places in the "Compensaation" Pick the clubs get.

Surely it should be based on a sliding scale of some sort.

Unless there is a "godfather" offer out there waiting to happen, it's hard to imagine Pick 2 coming our way.

Something in range of 8 to 10 for Rocky would seem a lot fairer

It's riduculous really that an AFL- manufactured benchmark $ amount can make a difference of 17 (or 18) places in the "Compensaation" Pick the clubs get.

Surely it should be based on a sliding scale of some sort.

Unless there is a "godfather" offer out there waiting to happen, it's hard to imagine Pick 2 coming our way.

Something in range of 8 to 10 for Rocky would seem a lot fairer

That's why we should be talking in terms of Band 1, 2 etc rather than picks2 or 19etc. There is an equalization component inherent in the set up of Band Compensation, something that is lost in discussion and the media. ie A team finishing lower gets compensated greater. Obviously its not consistent eg Band 2 is the same for everyone whereas bands 1 and 3 are based on ladder position, but still it's there.

A little left of field but I wonder if we're a chance to rookie list Mitch Hallahan. Fagan connection and a good inside mid. Would be handy depth in an area we need depth in.

That's why we should be talking in terms of Band 1, 2 etc rather than picks2 or 19etc. There is an equalization component inherent in the set up of Band Compensation, something that is lost in discussion and the media. ie A team finishing lower gets compensated greater. Obviously its not consistent eg Band 2 is the same for everyone whereas bands 1 and 3 are based on ladder position, but still it's there.

Like the Hawks getting 19 for Franklin & Dees getting 3 for Frawley. I think it's a fair system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all those saying they'd take Pick 19 for Rockliff, remember we got Pick 17 for Redden. REDDEN!! Pick 11 (if the AFL were smart enough to allow that) would be the minimum you'd think for an All-Australian, dual best and fairest.

For all those saying they'd take Pick 19 for Rockliff, remember we got Pick 17 for Redden. REDDEN!! Pick 11 (if the AFL were smart enough to allow that) would be the minimum you'd think for an All-Australian, dual best and fairest.

Who's saying they'd take pick 19?

Who's saying they'd take pick 19?
Just the general feel I'm getting from other posters, I'm not saying the club is but pick 19 for a player like Rockliff? Should be aiming for a pick in the top 10, anything other the club shouldn't even remotely consider trade wise, but it is Rocky's decision being a free agent and all.

Being an AA and club champion helps the compo case for Rocky as well. I think if he gets anywhere near 1mil it would be hard to deny a top compo.
I mentioned this previously but was informed that it would not affect the outcome of compensation and that only the financial component and length of contract in comparison to the rest of the compitition would be the determining factor. Hope your right though, cause it makes sense that a players achievements be considered while determining his value to his former club. An AA in our football club would imo be of greater value then say a club who has a multitude, not to mention the impact that loosing those types of players does to a struggling club like ours. These are all considerations that need to be taken into account however if I have received the right information it appears this is not the case.

If these parameters aren't considered during the FA process, the AFL really needs to consider change in this area or as another poster suggested just recently create a wider range of compensation ( more levels ), cause as it stands right now the FA compensation process is far too simplistic for such a complex issue. Just my veiw.

Would like to reiterate that I agree with your post and hope you are right

So he can eat up 850k a year of our salary cap, when in the next few years we are nowhere near contending? And in turn miss out on a potential 15 year gun player...

Very happy you are not involved in our list management

Me too, :D would make footy too serious for me if I was involved.

Just as you said POTENTIAL. We've already got 3 picks in the top 20. You only have to look at Melbourne to see that multiple top draft picks doesn't necessarily work out. So what if we get pick 19 if Rocky leaves? That helps us in 3 years times when we could have Rocky playing at his best for the next 4 years.

Me too, :D would make footy too serious for me if I was involved.

Just as you said POTENTIAL. We've already got 3 picks in the top 20. You only have to look at Melbourne to see that multiple top draft picks doesn't necessarily work out. So what if we get pick 19 if Rocky leaves? That helps us in 3 years times when we could have Rocky playing at his best for the next 4 years.

I'm as surprised as anyone in the interest in Rockliff. When he used to get 40 every game, 90% were in the back half, racking up cheap stats. In the middle, his opponent always dominates. Coaches put faster players on him and we get destroyed. When the ball clears the area his pressure is almost non-existent. I actually think we look stronger in the middle with him not there. If the game is congested Rocky is fine as he is a great tackler, but against fast teams he is ordinary. I wouldn't be paying him anything over 600k.

That being said, if Rocky only nets us pick 19 we would probably match.

Just as you said POTENTIAL.

Yep potential. The AFL recruiters hardly get it wrong these days.

Pick 2's since 2007

2007 - Trent Cotchin
2008 - Nick Naitanui
2009 - Jack Trengrove
2010 - Harley Bennell
2011 - Stephen Coniglio
2012 - Jono O'Rourke
2013 - Josh Kelly
2014 - Christian Petracca
2015 - Josh Schache
2016 - Tim Taranto

Only Trengrove and O'Rourke busts from this list. Trengrove not through talent but had a really bad foot injury (was still melbourne captain). Schache the jury is out.

So on these players you wouldn't take pick 2 for Rocky... You have got to be joking

Yep potential. The AFL recruiters hardly get it wrong these days.

Pick 2's since 2007

2007 - Trent Cotchin
2008 - Nick Naitanui
2009 - Jack Trengrove
2010 - Harley Bennell
2011 - Stephen Coniglio
2012 - Jono O'Rourke
2013 - Josh Kelly
2014 - Christian Petracca
2015 - Josh Schache
2016 - Tim Taranto

Only Trengrove and O'Rourke busts from this list. Trengrove not through talent but had a really bad foot injury (was still melbourne captain). Schache the jury is out.

So on these players you wouldn't take pick 2 for Rocky... You have got to be joking

We clearly value draft picks differently. Going to have to agree to disagree on this one. There's no way we would get pick 2 anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back