Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it was being handled very well until Caro went with a sensationalist article...B70 dropped this a few weeks ago, I’m sure it’s been on the cards for a lot longer than that.

What I find astounding is that no one knew Trigg was a FIFO employee, I’m really glad Caro didn’t get that story imagine if she knew after 3 months of tenure - like a dog and bone
This. According to El Presidente discussions had been ongoing with Triggs for a couple of months.
So how was Triggs blindsided??
Also, Triggs resigned immediately AFTER Caro's article was published.
Obviously just a huge coincidence in this timing and the CFC attempting to go into damage control.

Wilson's not responsible for Triggs resignation. However, she certainly influenced its timing and hastened the announcement. That's solely on her.
As for the news about Triggs being a FIFO, well that was a truly 'WTH??!!' revelation.
Not sure how an AFL club CEO of a Melbourne based team is meant to woo sponsors, fraternise and network at industry events and conduct business, when they're spending part of their week in Adelaide.
It's unsustainable and untenable long term.

This. According to El Presidente discussions had been ongoing with Triggs for a couple of months.

As for the news about Triggs being a FIFO, well that was a truly 'WTH??!!' revelation.
Not sure how an AFL club CEO of a Melbourne based team is meant to woo sponsors, fraternise and network at industry events and conduct business, when they're spending part of their week in Adelaide.
It's unsustainable and untenable long term.

And the CLUB KNEW this when it Appointed him, to not have done so Shows the Board and the President did not Do even the most basic due diligence..

Everything that has happened today re Trigg rests with the "old Board" of our Great Club.

And the people who gave him the job did so in that knowledge .....

I'm staggered it's being going on...for 3 years.
Can understand maybe 6 months to adjust and re-locate his family to Melbourne. At a push, 12 months.
But 3 whole years. Seriously. WTH.

Below, from an article in April, 2015 in the Adelaide Advertiser.

Wife Susie and daughters Georgia, 15 and Ella 12, will move across in due time, but it’s a matter of timing.

``We’re just trying to pick the right moment for them to come across,’’ Trigg said. ``At the moment, I’m racking up some frequent flyer points.’’

Nearly 2.5 years after this article and comments, Trigg was still a FIFO.
Obviously 'timing' wasn't important at all.
Our club, members and fans deserved better than this crap. Beyond piss poor. From all involved. Rant over.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...b/news-story/6be0763983948baa11ecdab2ab7071cc

This whole thing doesn't sit right with me.

I mean Trigg got a job in Melbourne, but CHOSE to keep on living in Adelaide? :cool:
Not that unusual. My brother was the CEO of a company whose Australian Head Office was based in Sydney & he did the commute from Melbourne-Sydney.

The company I worked for until recently (large international company with offices in more than 30 countries) made a senior management appointment for a Melbourne based position & chose a candidate from Adelaide who has chosen to continue to reside in Adelaide due to having a young family.

Blaming Caro - for literally doing her job - is classic old Carlton bullshit. The 'we are Carlton, * the rest' might look good on a bumper sticker, but if that's the mentality in which you think then you're better off watching VHS tapes of the 70s and 80s, instead of waiting for this club to become relevant again.

What's more Carlton than a divisive Board? When we stopped being able to buy premierships, we've been hopeless at trying to operate as a functioning club.

Indifferent to Trigg, but the 'optics' is systematic of the Carlton i've grown up with. Keep this kind of s**t up, and we'll lose the best thing to enter the club in decades.

Blaming Caro - for literally doing her job - is classic old Carlton bullshit. The 'we are Carlton, **** the rest' might look good on a bumper sticker, but if that's the mentality in which you think then you're better off watching VHS tapes of the 70s and 80s, instead of waiting for this club to become relevant again.

What's more Carlton than a divisive Board? When we stopped being able to buy premierships, we've been hopeless at trying to operate as a functioning club.

Indifferent to Trigg, but the 'optics' is systematic of the Carlton i've grown up with. Keep this kind of s**t up, and we'll lose the best thing to enter the club in decades.
Liam Jones?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blaming Caro - for literally doing her job - is classic old Carlton bullshit. The 'we are Carlton, **** the rest' might look good on a bumper sticker, but if that's the mentality in which you think then you're better off watching VHS tapes of the 70s and 80s, instead of waiting for this club to become relevant again.

You know the whole buying premiership's thing is a bit of a myth, exaggerated by the Carlton hating media. We never had more players from interstate than any other club before the interstate teams joined.

In fact, if you want to go back through some of our premiership teams they were heavily loaded with players from our local zones. I'm happy with the direction the club is taking atm as the last 15 years have been terrible but I'll never be anything but proud of our achievements in the 30 years from the mid 60's to the mid-90s.

Carlton became a destination club because of its success ( the same applied to the other top teams of the era), had it have been languishing at the bottom of the ladder in those days those players who came across wouldn't have regardless of money.

The only bullshit associated with the club in my lifetime has been the last 15 to maybe 18 years. Our failure was not to embrace the change that happened in football, that is what saw us fall.

I'm excited by our future prospects but that still doesn't diminish my ability to acknowledge the great achievements of the past.

:mobilecalling::boy: Hello...

:mobilecalling::man: Gil ya dil, what's going on mate?!

:mobilecalling::boy: Leth ya ratbag, what's doing brother?

:mobilecalling::man: My new bosses want a few games at Princes Park next season...

:mobilecalling::boy: No worries mate, consider it done!

:mobilecalling::boy: Hello...

:mobilecalling::man: Gil ya dil, what's going on mate?!

:mobilecalling::boy: Leth ya ratbag, what's doing brother?

:mobilecalling::man: My new bosses want a few games at Princes Park next season...

:mobilecalling::boy: No worries mate, consider it done!
Gil, how about one at Adelaide Oval V the Crows for the first time?

*hangs up*

Caro's original article appeared at 2.36pm.
Trigg resigned 2 hours later.
Caro claims that Trigg had been treated shabbily by the CFC and a victim of backroom machinations.
That the Blues had disrespected Trigg and put him in an untenable position.
So Wilson highlights this alleged grave injustice. Thereby depriving Trigg of the time and space to announce his resignation on his own terms.

This article was a calculated move by Wilson, written for maximum impact. And it did.
Is Caro entitled to ply her trade - without question.
That doesn't mean that she's not entitled to criticism. Warranted I believe in this case as she expedited the departure of Trigg at Carlton.
Don't purport to defend someone's honour. Then consider yourself absolved when you've led them to an earlier gallows. That's my point.

Re, the Blues board. Was under the illusion that all was ok.
Felt relieved that it appeared we had turned the corner from the dark days of Machiavellian intrigue, bloated egos and ritual board room knifings.
I confess to buying into the 'optics' of cohesion and unity and happy shiny board members singing from the same hymn sheet.
I now know better.
Bolton, SOS, the players, Carlton staff, us long suffering, passionate supporters, fans and members who all bleed blue, we ALL deserve better than this from our board.

I'm staggered it's being going on...for 3 years.
Can understand maybe 6 months to adjust and re-locate his family to Melbourne. At a push, 12 months.
But 3 whole years. Seriously. WTH.

Below, from an article in April, 2015 in the Adelaide Advertiser.

Wife Susie and daughters Georgia, 15 and Ella 12, will move across in due time, but it’s a matter of timing.

``We’re just trying to pick the right moment for them to come across,’’ Trigg said. ``At the moment, I’m racking up some frequent flyer points.’’

Nearly 2.5 years after this article and comments, Trigg was still a FIFO.
Obviously 'timing' wasn't important at all.
Our club, members and fans deserved better than this crap. Beyond piss poor. From all involved. Rant over.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...b/news-story/6be0763983948baa11ecdab2ab7071cc

Hmmm, this article is telling and puts the situation in a light that maybe Caro should touch on to give herself and the article some credibility.

I like Caro as she will run with something that no other journo will touch for fear of being unliked, reporting in the way she does helps to keep the bastards honest but I feel this has been a sore point with the board for quite some time.

The board are unable to defend themselves as being professional means ending this relationship in the best possible manner and not airing anything that may be disrespectful to Trigg.

If this has been a sore point and Trigg has consistently refused to move then imo it’s great leadership again to go and get the best available administrator when the opportunity arises.

And the CLUB KNEW this when it Appointed him, to not have done so Shows the Board and the President did not Do even the most basic due diligence..

Everything that has happened today re Trigg rests with the "old Board" of our Great Club.

Pretty standard operating procedure to allow time for families to move interstate - clearly Trigg's family decided not to and Carlton ended up being stuck with a part time CEO for 3 years!

The comments about a divided Board are meaningless drivel. Every Board I sit on is divided - thats what Boards are for - different opinions based on different experiences, Boards have as many split votes about decisions as unanimous votes. CEOs are expert at trying to 'manage' Boards - no doubt Trigg would have some board members convinced that his interstate travel didn't impede his work - whilst others may not be convinced - so what? At the end of the day it is Trigg's performance that comes under scrutiny and every CEO is ultimately held accountable regularly for performance as is everyone else.

Also pretty natural to review CEO tenure towards the end of a year - Trigg may not like timing, may not like the result - and may play the I didn't know card to a sympathetic journo out for some muck rake - I dont buy it for one second.

Could the whole thing be handled better - sure.Could it have been handled worse- see Hawthorn/Collingwood/Bulldogs.

Jesus Christ Mitch Cleary do you have any tact when asking a question? Absolute *ing amateur

Well that reads a bit differently to the media talk; I stand corrected.

Rubbish. She's there for exactly this kind of discussion, whether that be a review of his likely behaviour should he be installed, versus what additiona :p
So you think she was brought onto the board for this kind of discussion?
The political correct and no discrimination kind of discussion in competitive sport?
Sorry mate!
The two are water and oil!
That's my opinion and if she's used as some kind of touchstone you'll see the results really fall off the cliff
Sports is not about any of that kind of stuff
Joyce brown would understand sports and competition and whats needed a zillion times better and she's been retired for bang on two decades

No issue with Trigg being let go he was CEO for 3 years and the club wasnt doing that great financially.

Did we post a profit during any of the 3 years?

Think about it properly, he is best mates with Gil McLachon...Huge get for us if we can nab him. Nothing wrong with being ruthless in business. Football departments have changed, boardrooms haven't and never well. Will be massive for us if we get him
It could work both ways. Being best mates with Gil could mean that he's more inclined to roll over and do favours for the AFL at Carlton's expense.

Whoever they get needs to be 100% working for Carlton's interests.

No issue with Trigg being let go he was CEO for 3 years and the club wasnt doing that great financially.

Did we post a profit during any of the 3 years?

Bit naive really. Surely nearly everyone can make a connection between results on the field and results off it. HINT : it s not a negative correlation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back