Bluemour Discussion Thread VII (cont. in pt VIII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we want him to come in and win our goal kicking? At this stage of our rebuild, it'd be like putting on a coat of paint when we're going to plaster over it soon anyway.

If it's not being addressed, what do you call McKay, Charlie, SOS and Kerr?

I dont want him to win our goalkicking. My point was our lack of genuine goalkickers. In reference to the guys you named. Charlie is a gun who will prob play midfield. Kerr is far from an AFL player at this stage. SOS will develop into a good 3rd target who might kick you 35 goals a year, and Harry. Well we can only hope.

They are all young and could be anything, but none are proven goalkickers at this stage. When you go a season and a half without kicking 100pts generating scores is an issue.

I dont want him to win our goalkicking. My point was our lack of genuine goalkickers. In reference to the guys you named. Charlie is a gun who will prob play midfield. Kerr is far from an AFL player at this stage. SOS will develop into a good 3rd target who might kick you 35 goals a year, and Harry. Well we can only hope.

They are all young and could be anything, but none are proven goalkickers at this stage. When you go a season and a half without kicking 100pts generating scores is an issue.
All of that is true, but it's still no reason to bring in a 30 year old small forward.

Once again, I ask the question...

Would you prefer pick 3 (87% chance of a 150 game player) or picks 7 (60%) chance and 8 (47% chance)?

These are the realities over 15 years of drafting. 7 and 8 may be appealing on paper, and it may be way in our favour in points, but the reality says to me I think I'd rather keep pick 3.

That changes if we are going to use pick 7 or 8 to trade for a known quantity, someone who has already shown that barring injury, he's going to be a very good player for a long time. But if it's purely about going to the draft, I'm sticking with pick 3 thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain any club should be looking to draft players because the statistics say there is a greater chance of being a 150 game player. There are far more factors involved in this. List needs to start with. For example, do we draft a KPD with pick 3 as he is rated the third best player in the draft ( because statistically he is an 87% chance of being a 150 game player ) even though adding a KPD isn't a list priority at all?

Reckon SOS can reach all those conclusions but go about it a slightly longer more 'SOS like' way...

Trade 1- Gibbs to ADE for pick 12 (assumed from Cameron) + Atkins

Trade 2- Pick 3 & 12 and 2018 2nd round to BRIS for Pick 1 & 19 and Schache.

Trade 3- Pick 1 & 19 to STK for Pick 7 & 8

Trade 4- Pick 8 to GWS for Scully, Kennedy and 2018 3rd round

LOSE- Gibbs, Pick 3 and our 2018 2nd round
GAIN- Atkins, Schache, Scully, Kennedy, Pick 7 and GWS 2018 3rd round

I don't believe there is any way Brisbane give up pick 1.

Carlton offered him some ridiculous money earlier this year. Doubt they have gone cold. Reckon they are looking for a bargain bin price.

Did we? I know a lot of supporters were happy to give up ridiculous money for him, but did the club? You would have thought if we offered ridiculous money he would be a Blues player.

I know SOS will keep his cool, but i reckon in reality the club is really disappointed in missing out on Rockliff & Smith etc...most reports had us going pretty hard at Rockliff.

All these rumours now about us pushing Gibbs out and desperately trying to get Scully...just seems like we are desperate for mature talent.
We may never know but i reckon the club is probably really disappointed in missing out on Rockliff.

Agreed. I am disappointed we missed out here. I think he would of been a really good addition to the midfield. With or without Gibbs.

Don't think they'd be disappointed, he's not exactly the type of character we want around.

Fagan had been glowing in his assessment of Rockliff this past season, was mightily impressed with his performance at the club this season.

True, and it can be frustrating. But even more frustrating is that we don't set up for it. That clearance kick forward just always hits an oppo player. Does my head in.
Well thats a forwards fault imo . A good forward should always be able to get front position from a hack kick out of congestion . If he doesnt then he's looking for the easy possession out the back . But i do agree Gibbs was hack kicking a lot in 2017 .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying I advocate trading Gibbs but the reality is we are still a lowly side and arguably we need to be daring to bring in more picks and in turn get more talent. There's still a lot of poor footballers making our senior side each week. We are a fair way off having the depth needed. Do you understand what I'm saying? Arguably we need to 'make some plays' as the Yanks would say. And doing that might require taking a risk.

If you think about it, not trading Gibbs is a very conservative decision. It's a decision bourne out of fear. And it's a decision that doesn't fast track our rebuild. It's a negative mind set. A defeatest mind set, IMO.

We didn't trade him last year, I personally believe, because the whole thing was sprung too late on us. And also we were just starting out on our rebuild and we needed to retain quality midfield experience. But we are another year down the track now. I'm not saying losing Bryce won't equate to a step back, but as signposted earlier arguably that sort of pain is needed to achieve long term gain.

I keep getting back to mind set. To me retaining him, assuming a decent trade is offered, is a conservative move that doesn't lend itself to daring list development.

Agreed 100%

Neither Dusty or Rockliff were free agents in those years and clubs would have to trade for them. This year they were and there was no shortage of interest in either.
I thought Dusty resigned with Richmond on reduced money & Brisbane couldn't get a third round for Rocky. Hey I could be wrong, someone somewhere got to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back