AFL Corruption Again ........

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the precedent this sets now. This whole compo pick thing needs to be scrapped. If your player walks as a free agent, then you lose that player. Simple. There can't be an incentive to not match offers except to free up the cap space.
The situation isn't new. I mean it's not old either. Trouble is it's opaque so we don't know if the reward for one trade is equal to that of another, or if this year's rewards compare to last year's. Nor do we really know what deal the transferring players get, we just have media guesswork.
In principle I see why we have the compo. Having no real choice but to allow free agency the AFL knows it affects clubs unequally. This year nobody lost more than one free agent so no compo wouldn't have bee too diabolical IMO. But at its worst a club could have 2-3 experienced players leave in one hit and imagine getting no compo then.

Player wages need to be released. If not for anything other than to keep the AFL accountable. Motlop could be on 450k for all we know. Most likely he isn't, but would anyone be surprised if he was?

What did Geelong table initially? Because I think he has to at least go above that to use restricted free agency.

Serious question, why do the Cats get pick 19 and Brisbane pick 20?
Because Brisbane was awarded the first pick of the second round which is currently 20. This is because they finished last.

They got pick 18 for Rockliff FA compo.

Because Brisbane was awarded the first pick of the second round which is currently 20. This is because they finished last.

They got pick 18 for Rockliff FA compo.

Oh duh. Been up since 4 going off 3 hours sleep and that's not my finest moment. :oops:

I know the rules of the system mate, I'm not arguing about why Motlop got pick 19. I'm saying such a thing shouldn't even be possible in the first place. It's the system its self! Jesus, it's like talking to a brick wall with Geelong fans. I don't give a flying toss about the particulars. It's like arguing against concentration camps, and the opposing side saying "well, how else we going to exterminate the jews?" Extreme example, but ****, how else can the point be made with a brick wall.

Geelong Fans- why should we have to play home finals at the other teams home ground?
Everyone else- because that's the rules of the system, its the way it always been.
Geelong Fans- I know that's the way its been, but is it right?
Everyone else- Geelong fans are such sooks..

Everyone else- why does Geelong get pick 19 for Motlop, its corrupt.
Geelong fans- because that's the rules of the system, its the way its always been.
Everyone else- I know that's the way its been, but is it right? Geelong fans are like talking to a brick wall..

Steve Hocking on trade radio confirming that Motlop was given a "fairly significant" contract by Port and that the compensation was suitable. Time for you lot to put fingers in ears and start screaming again.

What a coincidence he started on Monday and bang, just a few days before end of first round compo given to his old club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a coincidence he started on Monday and bang, just a few days before end of first round compo given to his old club.
I wonder if you were sticking up for Geelong when 3 of their best 4 players were suspended for incredibly soft reasons? Or when Geelong had to play their home QF at their oppositions home ground?

Geelong Fans- why should we have to play home finals at the other teams home ground?
Everyone else- because that's the rules of the system, its the way it always been.
Geelong Fans- I know that's the way its been, but is it right?
Everyone else- Geelong fans are such sooks..

Everyone else- why does Geelong get pick 19 for Motlop, its corrupt.
Geelong fans- because that's the rules of the system, its the way its always been.
Everyone else- I know that's the way its been, but is it right? Geelong fans are like talking to a brick wall..

And here comes the victim card.

I hate the precedent this sets now. This whole compo pick thing needs to be scrapped. If your player walks as a free agent, then you lose that player. Simple. There can't be an incentive to not match offers except to free up the cap space.

Losing players to free agency is a profit centre.

I am pretty sure the thread is meant to be about whether or not the AFL are corrupt in awarding the cats pick 19 as compensation, not you speculating on how much Port are paying Motlop.

You do know the 2 are related? The higher the pay the higher the band!

So what is Mee likely - that Power matched the $600k and overpaid another player the band is correct? Or that a couple of pro-port journalists got the salary wrong and the AFL are corrupt?

I thought this was obviously payback for VFL assisted poaching of Greg Williams in 86, which clearly cost us 5 flags at least.

And then losing Ablett in the first place, which while it didn't hurt too much in 2011, has then cost us another 5 flags.

So the VFL/AFL owe us 10 flags.
Surely you owe the hawks 6 of those for giving you Ablett in the first place :)

Geelong supporters are exempt from commenting on this situation given the natural bias they will have.

Besides, it's not the clubs that are at fault here.
Hang on. Its your OP and despite saying your beef is against the AFL it has become a Geelong-bitch session

Remove this Banner Ad

Back