Josh Elliott 2017 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

I've taken a much, much, much too early stab at picking the top 20.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/23/afl-phantom-draft-2017-early-top-20/

Please do have a read and then immediately tell me how incredibly, incredibly wrong I am about everything :):mad::(:p:thumbsu:
Another one who magically has Naughton going to Fremantle (despite us pulling in 3 KPDs last year), and Fogarty getting to Adelaide. I guess it is possible a club could spend top 10 picks on KPDs two drafts in a row. But Mundy will be gone soon and a bull midfielder who can play forward looks like a great option.

Naughton will be a very good player but would be disappointed if Freo reached for him at pick 5 when we're pretty well placed for KP's in defence with Hamling, Alex Pearce coming back from injury, Logue and Cox (who despite playing fwd this year was an All Australian CHB in his draft year).

Hamling is the oldest of the lot at 24 so talk of shoring up our future key defensive posts seems unusual when we have 4 young and developing ones already...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good phantom draft mate, every freo supporter has cracked it with everyone saying Naughton will go at pick 5 so dont worry about that. Jyst wondering why you have WB bidding on Naish when they've got quite an abundance of Outside mids

The Bulldogs were desperate to get a late first so they must have a player in mind. I doubt that they traded for 16 to bid on Naish with the risk that we would not match.
We're very into him from all reports. Could be the player we traded up for, the higher the pick the more likely you don't match. In the absence of someone we love (hopefully Murphy) I'd say it's a good chance we bid on Naish at 16. Personally I hope you guys match but if there's even one player left you like better than him you won't, unless you think they'll last to 20.

Good phantom draft mate, every freo supporter has cracked it with everyone saying Naughton will go at pick 5 so dont worry about that. Jyst wondering why you have WB bidding on Naish when they've got quite an abundance of Outside mids
We've got a few but I wouldn't say we've got an abundance. Is Naish quick? That's what we need, desperately.

Good phantom draft mate, every freo supporter has cracked it with everyone saying Naughton will go at pick 5 so dont worry about that.
I really appreciate all of the effort anyone who puts up a phantom gos to, and like Elliots one. But part of the point is to debate them isn't it?

Naughton is going to be a fine player. My comments are more about the rationale that getting pick 2 somehow makes it more likely we take him; I can see that later in the draft, but we have been crying out for high end talent. What we need is skill and attack through the midfield and up forward, and I hope they drive our selections. In this draft our list needs seem to align with the players available.

The other comment is that he would combine with Logue, yet most people who know our list expect Hamling and Pearce to be our two key defenders, but they aren't mentioned. We also drafted Cox. None of them really project as third tall/flankers. They are all young and I struggle to see how we line up with them all unless one of them becomes a forward. In that situation, why wouldn't we take Fogarty?

I think there is a bit of romance at play in the phantom drafts regarding Naughton and Fogarty.

I really appreciate all of the effort anyone who puts up a phantom gos to, and like Elliots one. But part of the point is to debate them isn't it?

Naughton is going to be a fine player. My comments are more about the rationale that getting pick 2 somehow makes it more likely we take him; I can see that later in the draft, but we have been crying out for high end talent. What we need is skill and attack through the midfield and up forward, and I hope they drive our selections. In this draft our list needs seem to align with the players available.

The other comment is that he would combine with Logue, yet most people who know our list expect Hamling and Pearce to be our two key defenders, but they aren't mentioned. We also drafted Cox. None of them really project as third tall/flankers. They are all young and I struggle to see how we line up with them all unless one of them becomes a forward. In that situation, why wouldn't we take Fogarty?

I think there is a bit of romance at play in the phantom drafts regarding Naughton and Fogarty.

Agree.

I REALLY like Naughton.

He's just not what we need right now.
If we were take a back I'd take Coffield who maybe able to run through the midfield and has elite disposal.
Personally if Rayner is gone would take LDU then go Fogarty or Coffield

We're very into him from all reports. Could be the player we traded up for, the higher the pick the more likely you don't match. In the absence of someone we love (hopefully Murphy) I'd say it's a good chance we bid on Naish at 16. Personally I hope you guys match but if there's even one player left you like better than him you won't, unless you think they'll last to 20.
Thats pretty silly to bid on Naish now that Richmond have #17,#20,#25 and Guaranteed to match, All Doggies will be doing is making the tigers match early and clubs have long memories with few doggie pups coming up the ledger will get evened out.

Thats pretty silly to bid on Naish now that Richmond have #17,#20,#25 and Guaranteed to match, All Doggies will be doing is making the tigers match early and clubs have long memories with few doggie pups coming up the ledger will get evened out.
Clubs aren't petty like that. If we think he's the best player at 16 when the pick comes around we'll bid on him there. Same goes for out father/sons next year and you guys. It'd be pretty stupid for you guys to "revenge bid" on Rhylee West if you don't actually want him. Come on, is that really what you think?

And it's not making you "match early" if we rate him there, which by all accounts we might.

And no certainty you'll match either (although I hope you do) especially, as I said, if there's someone you'd prefer still on the board and you can take them with pick 17.

Clubs aren't petty like that. If we think he's the best player at 16 when the pick comes around we'll bid on him there. Same goes for out father/sons next year and you guys. It'd be pretty stupid for you guys to "revenge bid" on Rhylee West if you don't actually want him. Come on, is that really what you think?

And it's not making you "match early" if we rate him there, which by all accounts we might.

And no certainty you'll match either (although I hope you do) especially, as I said, if there's someone you'd prefer still on the board and you can take them with pick 17.
The thing is Doggies will know that they will have no chance to get Naish at #16Richmond have #17,#20,#25 ffs and for Doggies to match that would be just making the team use their 1st pick to be a ***** of a club and for no other reason. And West will be looked at very very seriously if that were to happen with the circumstances i mentioned above - But hey if you rate Naish that highly no issue with Doggies bidding #9 to get him and they can have him at that selection.

#16 will be for Richards imo

The thing is Doggies will know that they will have no chance to get Naish at #16Richmond have #17,#20,#25 ffs and for Doggies to match that would be just making the team use their 1st pick to be a ***** of a club and for no other reason. And West will be looked at very very seriously if that were to happen with the circumstances i mentioned above - But hey if you rate Naish that highly no issue with Doggies bidding #9 to get him and they can have him at that selection.

#16 will be for Richards imo
They would bid there because they want him there and no other reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back