AFL Players Read What We Write Online

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Dear good people on this website,

In growing numbers, AFL players are reading our comments. In several cases, this is unintentionally causing legitimate, serious long-term harm and emotional pain to real people.

If we all post with the expectation that AFL players are reading nearly every word we type, as is the reality, I believe it will bring out the more human side of social media. That's all.

People describe social media as "addictive as smoking". And like smoking, it's not enough to say "don't smoke", or on the other side of the coin, "don't be a horrible person online even if you're half-joking".

To the players reading this - while this hardly comes close to justifying the obscene behaviour you're needlessly, constantly exposed to - please know that large social media platforms, by nature, entice all people to post more extreme views than they normally would (I know you already know this, but it's true). Nobody will get a subtle point across in a sea of shouting. Anonymity removes the human element of communication, so you never see the cheeky, playful grin on the person who hits send, like a child pretending it didn't steal the cookie.

To the other posters reading this - I invite you to draw your own little line in the sand. It's quite simple and straightforward too. All we have to do is imagine that an AFL player *is* going to read what you post. His wife *is* going to read your comments. His kids *are* going to click on his thread on here, then show Dad (even if it's 5-10 years from now when they Google his name and read an old thread).

Suicide, anxiety, depression - let's all take responsibility for the small roles we play in the current social media environment... because as we need to remind ourselves: AFL players read what we write online.

Mate it's called the internet, everyone on it is a 100 metre hero.

Laugh it off at the sad campaigners who mock you on their laptops while you cash your checks, or don't read it.

No sympathy here.

Yeah, that's why I have a fake username, ya dummy. That way, Majak won't know it's me calling him a big useless turd after every game if I ever bump into him.

Stuff written about players on BigFooty >>>>> Stuff written about players on Facebook.

I agree some of the comments on here are not great but at the end of the day players are professional athletes who know that they are subject to criticism (and praise). I would guess that BF posters are among the most invested supporters (both financially and emotionally) in their clubs and certainly have the right to express opinions about individuals/their team's performance(s).

Good OP.

Of course it's completely up to the player to check Bigfooty, Facebook, Tweet etc, and if they don't want to be exposed to it (which many don't) the simple option is to keep away from it.

Good OP.

Of course it's completely up to the player to check Bigfooty, Facebook, Tweet etc, and if they don't want to be exposed to it (which many don't) the simple option is to keep away from it.

That simple option is not happening though.

Social media is addictive.

Stuff written about players on BigFooty >>>>> Stuff written about players on Facebook.

I agree some of the comments on here are not great but at the end of the day players are professional athletes who know that they are subject to criticism (and praise). I would guess that BF posters are among the most invested supporters (both financially and emotionally) in their clubs and certainly have the right to express opinions about individuals/their team's performance(s).

Absolutely we have the right to express opinions.

Just be cognisant of the fact players could be reading it, so we should express our opinions as if we were talking face-to-face.

OP cannot be serious, who gives a crap what they think. Don't like the heat then get out of the kitchen.
In all seriousness AFL players would know that 90% of people commenting on these boards would not know a thing about footy and should just laugh it off as the rest of us do.

You say "they should laugh it off" or "get out of the kitchen" if they can't.

The reality is even the best of them can't.

A Brownlow Medalist has said comments on twitter affect him. He's reached the peak of individual performance in this sport and even he's not able to simply "laugh it off".

We need to take this issue more seriously.

We should just imagine they're reading our comments and adjust our tone accordingly - I think that's a great start already.

If you dont have the mental fortitude to deal with anonymous opinions that the players has to seek out to read, then they will crumble under the performance anxiety of AFL.

If they have their social media smashed constantly finding them iys SLIGHTLY different.... but come on!

If Bernie Vince is reading... i like you party boy, but youre cooked!

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a load of crap. Feral fans sitting on the fence hurl more abuse at players while they are performing. The players have no choice but to try and ignore it.

At least on the internet they simply can choose not to search online for what fans think.

I am sick to death of being told i am responsible for the feelings of people i dont know and have never met. And that none of the responsibility is on them to maybe not be fawning divas looking for praise on the internet and getting sore because people make hurtful comments (mostly untrue).

Grow the f up. These idiots get 6 figures, more support than a war vet, and get all the benefits of being an adult for none of the sacrifice.

Back