AFL Players Read What We Write Online

Remove this Banner Ad

For anytime I've been in the wrong, I need to learn to be more thoughtful too.

I'm still anti-PC in a broader sense, but I just think by imagining players are reading our comments, it helps bring out a more human side to our posting.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm pointing the finger at anyone, as I'm guilty myself of not really caring what I type.

Considering the high rate of suicide and other issues facing transgender people, perhaps it's something to take into account. Try looking at it from the other side (their perspective) and see how it sits with you.

Same deal in the mental health threads that pop up. Mental health is a massive issue with a crap load of stigma attached. It affects men the worst, with men killing themselves at 4 times the rate of women (we men tend to compartmentalise, and refuse to seek help and suffer in silence).

Its hard enough to admit you have a problem and seek help in the first place. Posting crap onling belittling or criticising people who are admitting to mental health issues just reinforces the stigma, contributes to people not seeking help when they should, and leads to more deaths.

There is a time to tell someone to drink a cup of concrete and harden the * up. There is also a time to be supportive as well.

Personally I am pretty happy with the way AFL footballers are being upfront about needing time off to deal with these issues, and clubs are coming to the table to support them when they do. It sets a good example for other young men out there when their footballing heroes show that these problems can and do affect everyone, regardless of job, wealth, success or otherwise.

If it leads to more men seeking help, and less men dying or suffering in silence, then it should be supported.

Don't look online for positive feedback and then crack the sads when it is negative because you are a ******* spud!

Last edited:
Anyone with a decent social media following know that the comments you receive online, often from anonymous sources, can be deeply concerning. Whether this be footballers or even women (many of whom cannot participate in debates on Twitter without receiving rape or death threats).

Online anonymity brings out a certain toxicity in people. And when someone is receiving death threats online from arseholes (as in the case of many women) or abuse (as in the case of many footballers) it really isn't sufficient to tell them to 'Grow the f up' as though that is a helpful sentiment.

Now I'd be the first person to admit that footballers should, under no circumstances, come on this forum. The discussions on the main board are often infantile and God help any footballer who stumbled into Bay 13. But the reality is that people will look and they will read and in the case of social media it can be very difficult to avoid those comments unless you excuse yourself from online activity entirely.

But the reality is that we shouldn't be asking footballers to change their behaviour. We shouldn't be asking women to change their behaviour. The improvement should start and end with those who abuse people online and do so for no reason than because they can do so anonymously.
Not sure you can equate '' jj is a spud '' with ' hope you get raped and die bitch''

I have no time for those who do such things , death or rape threats or anything in that vein, but to get upset because someone on the internet said you couldnt football is more to do with the player than the poster imo

Right so we have to moderate our language because some silly boys might do something wrong, or else that they will
take offence or even that they might not be 'old' enough to grasp the nettle.

I get that some nasty comments are beyond the pale and that some people are offensive because they can, under anonymity
However, surely those big boys of the AFL are made aware that they aren't going to be liked by everyone and that it is all
overtyped often with a sprinkling of inebriation and maybe sometimes that comments are juvenile without any great reason.

Try harder to not get lost in the mire of good comment and bad comment and shovel dirt because you can.

Here endeth the lesson for today. Good luck and good willing will keep you safe..

If you're walking down the steps after a game and an old man is slowing you down, you wouldn't abuse him, you'd smile and let him through. You do care about people. You do take some responsibility for other peoples' feelings, to a degree. Not as much as your own friends and family, but you care a little.

Online, it should be the same.
Of course.

But its more like if i talk to the old guy about what a gutless fwit player x is and that player happens to overhear from the fence.

Nothing on BigFooty is mentioned to specifically reach the players. They are sticking their nose where it doesnt belong, and crying foul because they dont like what they hear.

This isnt about common courtesy, its about players thinking they have special privlige to go or look anywhere and have their delicate sensibilities protected by whoever might be there.

Exactly how you might protect a child.

As I recall Andrew Swallow's Dad posted on BF during a period when Spitta was down on form and spoke about how reading all the comments hurt him (the Dad)

Twinkletoes may recall more

All you hard-arse I could care what anyone thinks much less the precious little overpaid prima donna players, you do realise that many of these players are just kids, some just 18-19-20 year olds. They most likely have never been subject to the sort of vitriol that is often served out on social media and boards like this, in fact most think they are pretty good footballers and have been praised about their football ability all their lives. Would you care if it is one of your sons, nephews, brothers.
I hate it when players are called useless, cowards and worse. They are all good footballers, some are just not cut out to make it. There is a lot of pressure on many of these young kids. I think the OP has made a good point. What if these young people are vulnerable to abuse, bad luck and suck it up. Some consideration and respect, after all this is the game we get so passionate about, if you hate aspects of it, don't watch it.
Most of us get to experience adversity at high school, leaving as more resilient 18 year olds.

I went to school with footy players and ill tell you they got everything. Excuses, exceptions, and most WERE the ones doling out the hardship.

So they find out that their s**t isnt gold plated when they enter the AFL system? Cry me a river.

They get linked to Big Footy threads from twitter.

And what about their kids googling their names? Big Footy threads are often the first thing that come up.
Hows about a parent taking responsibility for teaching their kids about hurtful comments, public profile and responsible use of the internet like where not to go?

People moderate themselves all the time in real life because everyone would think you're a tool if you didn't.

Most of us get to experience adversity at high school, leaving as more resilient 18 year olds.

I went to school with footy players and ill tell you they got everything. Excuses, exceptions, and most WERE the ones doling out the hardship.

So they find out that their s**t isnt gold plated when they enter the AFL system? Cry me a river.

Yes, football players are bullies and deserve all the criticism they get, that's some weird logic. Because you had issues in school doesn't mean they deserve thousands upon thousands of people abusing them because of a game.

people are always going to talk about other people, all people know this, you either let it plague you or learn and grow from it. no need to baby the fragile. do we have to stop talking about players if they're in the same pub as us too? where does this stop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that many of them get a golden ride, and have to face reality when they don't get drafted, which most don't, or don't cut the mustard. That is life and they by and large deal with it. I just don't get some of the vitriol and hate that get's hurled at them. People need to put footy in a bit of perspective...

Fair enough. Wait til Caro gets hold of it...
I don't mind Caro until it pretends to support religion by opposing Good Friday games and pretends to care about Tasmania getting a license (in any form).

Her agenda of North hate isn't the only areas she's corrupt.

She's only going to get older and more bitter. She really needs to go.

Dear good people on this website,

In growing numbers, AFL players are reading our comments. In several cases, this is unintentionally causing legitimate, serious long-term harm and emotional pain to real people.

If we all post with the expectation that AFL players are reading nearly every word we type, as is the reality, I believe it will bring out the more human side of social media. That's all.
Should we afford the same courtesy to every person? Or are players special?

Mate it's called the internet, everyone on it is a 100 metre hero.

Laugh it off at the sad campaigners who mock you on their laptops while you cash your checks, or don't read it.

No sympathy here.

Agreed can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen

Maybe these players should concentrate on kicking a football rather than reading opinions about themselves on the internet.

Yeah, that's why I have a fake username, ya dummy. That way, Majak won't know it's me calling him a big useless turd after every game if I ever bump into him.
Wait, this isn’t your real name?

I’ve done it wrong... :(

I'd be very surprised if clubs weren't telling the players to stay away from forums like this. So, if the player does read comments he has to accept what he reads. I'm not one for slagging players off but honest criticism is part of being a supporter. Like others have said, the abuse players receive from the fence by people within striking distance must be a lot worse. They are certainly trained to block that out and get on with the game.

I'd be very surprised if clubs weren't telling the players to stay away from forums like this. So, if the player does read comments he has to accept what he reads. I'm not one for slagging players off but honest criticism is part of being a supporter. Like others have said, the abuse players receive from the fence by people within striking distance must be a lot worse. They are certainly trained to block that out and get on with the game.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Collingwood were encouraging Chris Mayne to jump on the forums. :p

People moderate themselves all the time in real life because everyone would think you're a tool if you didn't.

Yes, football players are bullies and deserve all the criticism they get, that's some weird logic. Because you had issues in school doesn't mean they deserve thousands upon thousands of people abusing them because of a game.
Lol, you didnt understand it then.

I wonder how many of the current generation of footballers felt the need to vent and abuse and ridicule others on social media themselves when they weren't AFL footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back