Academy v Father-Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

hahaha you're calling me stupid, right? That's what you're implying, yes?
You could aways get someone to explain it to you, given your admitted problems with multi-syllable words. I thought it was clear

You could aways get someone to explain it to you, given your admitted problems with multi-syllable words. I thought it was clear
No, I just wanted to make sure you were calling me stupid because you just stated you had a problem with personal attacks. Am I wrong?

Do you have anything at all in regards to the topic? Anything?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah I do. I believe father-son selection is one aspect of the AFL drafting system that separates us from every sport in the world. I think it creates a loyalty and bond to a club unlike any other in the world which should be the number one priority when it comes to how we hand out priority picks in regards to different forms of eligibility.

While I do respect and support academy development/priority selection, I truly believe father-son selection should trump it every time. Tarryn Thomas (touted as a top 5 pick next year) is eligible for North Melbourne academy selection but I would reluctantly give him up if there was a father-son connection to another club.

Yeah I do. I believe father-son selection is one aspect of the AFL drafting system that separates us from every sport in the world. I think it creates a loyalty and bond to a club unlike any other in the world which should be the number one priority when it comes to how we hand out priority picks in regards to different forms of eligibility.

While I do respect and support academy development/priority selection, I truly believe father-son selection should trump it every time. Tarryn Thomas (touted as a top 5 pick next year) is eligible for North Melbourne academy selection but I would reluctantly give him up if there was a father-son connection to another club.
Thank you.

I disagree, massively so, but at least its on topic.

One flaw in your argument though is that Blakey has a chance to be "loyal" to North Melbourne, as no one is taking that chance away. He can pick North Melbourne, and if he does then you will consider him loyal, but if he doesn't pick North Melbourne, then there is no need for the loyalty discussion since it will be obvious that Blakey's loyalties are not to North Melbourne.

One flaw in your argument though is that Blakey has a chance to be "loyal" to North Melbourne, as no one is taking that chance away. He can pick North Melbourne, and if he does then you will consider him loyal, but if he doesn't pick North Melbourne, then there is no need for the loyalty discussion since it will be obvious that Blakey's loyalties are not to North Melbourne.
Blakey is an 18 year old kid. I'm not going to judge him on loyalty. It gives the opportunity to build a special kind of loyalty.

Giants supporter doesn't support Father-Son. Someone call the press.
And there you go again. Pathetic.

At least it was one post.

By the way. You are very wrong in that statement. I do value F/S. Am all for it as its big for the traditions of the game.
But.
Northern states sports have traditions and romance of being developed and playing for the one club from juniors all the way up to 1sts.
Its a big thing.
So yes Academies should be on equal footing and as a kid can be living in a totally different state to a club his father once played for then he should be able to get a choice.

As i said previously why would Southern clubs fight this?

As it stands you have a 50 50 chance of getting a player that has been getting top notch development in an Academy setting near home.
If the rules changed the academy wouldnt train the kid and then he would either have to;
A- play in the state league development system (which is no good)
B- move to vic to go through whatever f/s system is down there. Which would probably piss the family off.

At least this way you have a shot at a talented well developed kid.

And i bet if (A) happened then your club and fans would be saying the poor kid is no good and to not pick him.

And there you go again. Pathetic.

At least it was one post.

By the way. You are very wrong in that statement. I do value F/S. Am all for it as its big for the traditions of the game.
But.
Northern states sports have traditions and romance of being developed and playing for the one club from juniors all the way up to 1sts.
Its a big thing.
So yes Academies should be on equal footing and as a kid can be living in a totally different state to a club his father once played for then he should be able to get a choice.

As i said previously why would Southern clubs fight this?

As it stands you have a 50 50 chance of getting a player that has been getting top notch development in an Academy setting near home.
If the rules changed the academy wouldnt train the kid and then he would either have to;
A- play in the state league development system (which is no good)
B- move to vic to go through whatever f/s system is down there. Which would probably piss the family off.

At least this way you have a shot at a talented well developed kid.

And i bet if (A) happened then your club and fans would be saying the poor kid is no good and to not pick him.

Yeah this is a bit much now. We'll agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fortunately Blakey has full, 100%, non-restricted ability to play for you under the father/son rule. He just doesn't want to be at your club.

I choose to respect his choices and you choose to blame everyone else for your club's failure to be attractive enough for him to have any interest in you :)

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked that a former North player thinks Blakey should play for North!

While the unbiased thinks it should be the kids choice. Wowee this throws all the arguments from this thread in the air!

The kid does have a choice. The problem is Sydney's right to a choice in Nick Blakeys instance.

I can't believe how you people seem to overlook this very simple fact. There's a Mastodon in the room and you are completely incapable of seeing it.

Fortunately Blakey has full, 100%, non-restricted ability to play for you under the father/son rule. He just doesn't want to be at your club.

If he doesn't want to play for us then fine, that doesn't mean he should get a free walk in to a club with which he has no connection bar attending a few footy clinics. He goes in to the draft, just like Marc Murphy. North, Brisbane or the draft.

It's a bullshit lopsided situation that needs to be addressed.

The kid does have a choice. The problem is Sydney's right to a choice in Nick Blakeys instance.

I can't believe how you people seem to overlook this very simple fact. There's a Mastodon in the room and you are completely incapable of seeing it.
So you're against academies all together, that's a very different argument to father-son vs academies

If he doesn't want to play for us then fine, that doesn't mean he should get a free walk in to a club with which he has no connection bar attending a few footy clinics. He goes in to the draft, just like Marc Murphy. North, Brisbane or the draft.

I'd argue he has a stronger connection to Sydney than North, his dad has been assistant at the Swans for 11 years - that's 2 years longer than when he was at North as a player!!!

So you're against academies all together, that's a very different argument to father-son vs academies

No.

This is an idiotic response.

I'd argue he has a stronger connection to Sydney than North, his dad has been assistant at the Swans for 11 years -

Wow, it's a huge surprise to see you take that view.

Get back to me when they invent a coach/son rule.

No.

This is an idiotic response.

Wow, it's a huge surprise to see you take that view.

Get back to me when they invent a coach/son rule.
Your claim is he has a strong connection to North and that the Swans shouldn't be able to draft him. You're whole argument is based off of the fact his dad played for the club for 9yrs but the same father has been at the Swans for 11 and counting! Not to mention having trained with the Swans at the academy, living in the same city. This is not including him growing up and meeting the Sydney players when seeing his dad coach. I would assume he have a very strong connection to the Swans - a much stronger one than to North

You are kidding right? His father has worked at the Swans for 11 years, and chances are Nick Blakey has been to Swans HQ more times than he can count all through his childhood and teen years.

You are kidding right? His father has worked at the Swans for 11 years, and chances are Nick Blakey has been to Swans HQ more times than he can count all through his childhood and teen years.
I'd love to see Teffy's justifications for how he can say someone has a greater connection to a club automatically on the count that they were born to a past player...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back