Which club won the trade and free agency period?

Which club won the trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon bought in two forwards that they didn’t need

Ones a mental case the other has bad knees

Saad is a genuine player but if you actually look at the moves they don’t improve that much.

I will wager Smith misses a lot of footy next year and Jake will be Jake, great in patches but otherwise invisible. Anyone that thinks he is a midfielder hasn’t watched him he is lazy and takes the easiest option every time.

Ps he will rip us a new one round 3 no doubt :(

Good thing you got rid of Gibbs then

Got rid of is stretching it a bit. He wanted to go home. We essentially end up with 10, 30 and Kennedy for him on top of the #3 we already hold. Just helps the rebuild.

easy fixture helps you more. Can’t win a flagwith your current midfield it’s not hard or good enough. 6-12 and no finals wins.

I reckon they make the 8 next year, the koolaiders think they are bursting into the top 4, I highly doubt it.

They got spanked by 11 goals in the EF last year, Stringer and Smith can't reverse that

If the greatest area of need is the midfield - pushing out Gibbs and replacing him with pick 10, Lang and Kennedy isn’t going to improve that area unless you really nail that pick.

You need a key position player wherever weitering isn’t playing. You’re one quality tall away from getting it done and the fact they take longer to mature means the blues have to get onto it.

Well think of it as Gibbs out and Kennedy, pick 10 and pick 30 in. Could conceivably be worse next year, especially if we have any of Murphy, cripps or Curnow missing. I’m hoping guys like Kennedy will step in and do a good job as well as further development of SPS and Fisher. Charlie Curnow will hopefully continue his trajectory and McKay if injury free will play most of the year.

Defence is fine, marchbank and weitering look excellent prospects but aren’t big enough to play on the gorillas yet, but we have Jones and then Rowe and ASOS as backup. MacReadie is another one who looks good, so getting a KPD would just be stupid.

Lobbe is just ruck backup and we got Lang for practically nothing.

Can’t see what’s not to like with what we did

SOS and Carlton have won the last three trade periods if you look at it from a collective perspective. Kennedy, 10 and 30, Lang, mullett, lobbe either fill needs (midfield depth) or coverage for injury (mullett and lobbe) all for the loss of Gibbs and a late pick.

Essendon - saad (they already had enough def run), McGrath won't be their midfield saviour nor will smith (rumoured to have failed Carltons medical - degenerative knee problem) or stringer (picks and choose but he holds the most upside). But Essendon needed inside midfielder (Kennedy being an option but he chose Carlton). They also gave up this years draft after they've missed a lot of drafts over the previous years. They will fall quite rapidly when replying on their depth which isn't there.

Port - topped up with Rockliff who is probsbly past it. Brisbane clearly let him go for a reason. Excellent SuperCoach player (downhill skier) but his shoulders are about done and will probably spend the remainder of his career in the fwd 50. Losing lobbe (ruck depth - might be needed with Ryder being all they have) and trengrove (important to their structure) to gain the fringe of nearly every afl team going. Thomas FFS can't get a game at north that is so bad. This willbe Collingwood drafting bad. People are going to lose jobs over this. Can't beat a top 8 team so top up. There is a huge gap between port and a premiership and what they did isn't enough to bridge it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS and Carlton have won the last three trade periods if you look at it from a collective perspective. Kennedy, 10 and 30, Lang, mullett, lobbe either fill needs (midfield depth) or coverage for injury (mullett and lobbe) all for the loss of Gibbs and a late pick.

Essendon - saad (they already had enough def run), McGrath won't be their midfield saviour nor will smith (rumoured to have failed Carltons medical - degenerative knee problem) or stringer (picks and choose but he holds the most upside). But Essendon needed inside midfielder (Kennedy being an option but he chose Carlton). They also gave up this years draft after they've missed a lot of drafts over the previous years. They will fall quite rapidly when replying on their depth which isn't there.

Port - topped up with Rockliff who is probsbly past it. Brisbane clearly let him go for a reason. Excellent SuperCoach player (downhill skier) but his shoulders are about done and will probably spend the remainder of his career in the fwd 50. Losing lobbe (ruck depth - might be needed with Ryder being all they have) and trengrove (important to their structure) to gain the fringe of nearly every afl team going. Thomas FFS can't get a game at north that is so bad. This willbe Collingwood drafting bad. People are going to lose jobs over this. Can't beat a top 8 team so top up. There is a huge gap between port and a premiership and what they did isn't enough to bridge it.

How does the world look like with those navy blue goggles?

The only holes mullett and lobbe are filling ain’t gonna be Carlton’s list (which trust me has a fair few)

Not convinced Lang and Kennedy are gonna be saviours either

Love to have that Smith rumour verified, but sos would never turn down a gws player surely, also with our only old players really being Goddard and baguley I️ can’t see us falling off a cliff anytime soon

Won’t even entertain your summary of port but your team would be wetting themselves if Motlop and Rockliff and err maybe watts wanted to come to the blues

There’s so many incredible logic fails in this post that I don’t even know where to start. If I had to pick one though, I think my favourite is ‘FFS Lindsay Thomas can’t even get a game for Norf! But what a great pickup Aaron Mullett is for the mighty Blues.’

Your club traded out its best midfielder and traded in four spuds. Bottom 4 again for the Blues next year.
There's so much lack of research in your post I don't know where to start lol. Mullett played 18 games in 2017 averaging 20 disposals and led north for def50 rebounds. Anything else. This is an opinion based industry and I gave mine. But I back up my thoughts (ormost of my thoughts with some research) yours is just wrong.

How does the world look like with those navy blue goggles?

The only holes mullett and lobbe are filling ain’t gonna be Carlton’s list (which trust me has a fair few)

Not convinced Lang and Kennedy are gonna be saviours either

Love to have that Smith rumour verified, but sos would never turn down a gws player surely, also with our only old players really being Goddard and baguley I️ can’t see us falling off a cliff anytime soon

Won’t even entertain your summary of port but your team would be wetting themselves if Motlop and Rockliff and err maybe watts wanted to come to the blues
Rockliff yes but apparently his salary was way too high for a player of his age and injury issues. Motlop no. Geelong didn't want him and watts I wouldn't take if Melbourne paid his salary. 2/3 of these players pick and choose when to play I don't want fluff players at Carlton we've had enough of these types over the years. Port will have Avery quick down fall if this doesn't pay off I don't see those three top ups bridging the gap between not beating any finalists in 2017 and all of a sudden beating them all in 2018.

Rockliff yes but apparently his salary was way too high for a player of his age and injury issues. Motlop no. Geelong didn't want him and watts I wouldn't take if Melbourne paid his salary. 2/3 of these players pick and choose when to play I don't want fluff players at Carlton we've had enough of these types over the years. Port will have Avery quick down fall if this doesn't pay off I don't see those three top ups bridging the gap between not beating any finalists in 2017 and all of a sudden beating them all in 2018.

You are good at seeing from your angle and trying to put down other peoples trades.

Let’s look at your 2 player trades shall we!

Kennedy apparently didn’t even get offered a contract at GWS and Geelong let you have Lang who they used pick 16 on for a pick in the 60’s or something didn’t they?

I know I would rather smith and saad over Kennedy and Lang

You are good at seeing from your angle and trying to put down other peoples trades.

Let’s look at your 2 player trades shall we!

Kennedy apparently didn’t even get offered a contract at GWS and Geelong let you have Lang who they used pick 16 on for a pick in the 60’s or something didn’t they?

I know I would rather smith and saad over Kennedy and Lang
We need midfield depth that's cheap and wouldn't affect our early picks. Lang and Kennedy suited that. Combined and with the natural improvement from SPS cuningham fisher and the return of Cripps should cover Gibbs but we definitely need 2-3 more wins in the draft. We also now have 2 seconds in 2018 so called superdraft and 3 father sons that should fall between late 1sts and 3rd round. Topping up with older players was not what Carlton wanted. Yes I wear blue glasses but the debate was who won the draft period. I suppose only time will tell in 2018, in Carlton beat one of (heaven forbid) both port and Essendon then the answer is simple.

Back