Vickery retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to Vickery.

But you guys might need his salary to make the cap minimum as well as it was significant amount.
If it didn’t have to count against the cap the club would just renegotiate others contracts to either front load a bit or give them pay rises.

Does this give us an extra list spot for a draftee/DFA?
No for all intense purposes TV is a listed Hawthorn player still. His list spot and salary are still counted on our books this year.
We will have an extra rookie upgrade spot available for this year and will give more time in BH for a youngster but that is the only benefit to be had.
I would imagine the TV pay-out figure would be less than the total player payment of $500k (what is included in salary cap this year) would be less as well.

I understand the initial decision to recruit with Ceglar out and Roughy illness but really this was a bust. I'm trying to feel ok about this, he made the right decision for himself etc. etc., and good luck. But to tell the truth feel pissed off with him as he took $1Mill over 2 years to give nothing in return. Could have spent that salary and list spot on one deserving the opportunity, rather than for some-one lacking the aptitude/attitude required for AFL.

Ty never had a hope in hell of succeeding, no one ever really gave him the chance and we lambasted him from the first time he walked on to the field. I was hoping a positive atmosphere would have been enough to turn him around but he didn't really get it here either.

All the best to him, I hope he enjoys his privacy.

Really???

He had every chance in succeeding but didn't take his opportunity.

It is well documented that the Club was frustrated with both his off-field and on-field performances throughout 2017.

Good luck for the future Ty.

Whilst I am sure he is really nice guy like some of alluded to here, his recruitment will go down as one of, if not, the worst recruit in the history of the club.

Argue all you like, but it will honestly be hard to beat as the worst ever. And yes, I know he was recruited as a free agent and not traded for anyone. The $$$ he was paid and length of term was an utter embarrassment and the club should be ashamed.

Personally Im not fussed if the salary counts in our cap and given the Buddy deal I am actually hoping that it does to set the precedent when he hangs them up with 3yrs left on his contract. I don't however understand at all the claim that he remains on our list. Why on earth would he do that? The prospect of opening up another spot is what excites me.

edit: just watched Graeme Wright interview and confirmation that he does reman on the list. Why the hell is that. The player has retired and is getting paid out. I don't see why he is forced to stay on the list.

Last edited:
Fantastic news. Absolutely brilliant. Now to erase any memory that this poor excuse for a footballer & human being ever soiled the Hawthorn jumper.

No doubt Clarko told him he won't play again and he's cut and run.
Yep, absolutely in keeping with his character - zero fight in him. We're infinitely better off as a club without him and should never had signed the idiot in the first place.

Last edited:
There a few people on this forum that should be walking with there tail between there legs,
it was clear and obvious for a blind man to see he heart and mind was not in it.
good luck tv good riddance,

"he will be the next david hale" and "once he learns the hawthorn game plan..." were always a couple of quotes that made me giggle

There a few people on this forum that should be walking with there tail between there legs,
it was clear and obvious for a blind man to see he heart and mind was not in it.
good luck tv good riddance,
My thoughts exactly, the groupthink on this forum is absolutely sickening sometimes.

Another upside of today's announcement is we'll no longer scratch our heads when people ask the question "who's your most hated Hawthorn player?" :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally Im not fussed if the salary counts in our cap and given the Buddy deal I am actually hoping that it does to set the precedent when he hangs them up with 3yrs left on his contract. I don't however understand at all the claim that he remains on our list. Why on earth would he do that? The prospect of opening up another spot is what excites me.

edit: just watched Graeme Wright interview and confirmation that he does reman on the list. Why the hell is that. The player has retired and is getting paid out. I don't see why he is forced to stay on the list.
So when vickery makes his triumphant return to AFL in 2019 it is in brown and gold! ;)

Fantastic news. Absolutely brilliant. Now to erase any memory that this poor excuse for a footballer & human being ever soiled the Hawthorn jumper.

Yep, absolutely in keeping with his character - zero fight in him. We're infinitely better off as a club without him and should never had signed the idiot in the first place.

Didn't realise one of his close friends was on bigfooty. You seem to know him so well :rolleyes:

I can not believe the club got this one so wrong. 75k Richmond (minus 1 or 2) never rated the bloke. Surely a few of them have an idea about football?

I was willing to give TY a go but he showed absolutely zip this year.

On the flip size any complacency that may have crept into the recruiting department has been replaced by a good swift prompt kick up the ass.

If we cut him from the list then we may need to recruit another player to ensure we meet the minimum list size. That means either a DFA or an extra draftee in a weak draft - plus their salary on top.

Even if it’s not for the list size reason there’s no additional cost to keeping him on the list. In the event we suddenly require him to play (very unlikely) or he has a change of heart and some other club wants him (very unlikely) then we can then trade him.

But yeah, main point is there’s nothing lost by keeping on the list.

I can not believe the club got this one so wrong. 75k Richmond (minus 1 or 2) never rated the bloke. Surely a few of them have an idea about football?

I was willing to give TY a go but he showed absolutely zip this year.

On the flip size any complacency that may have crept into the recruiting department has been replaced by a good swift prompt kick up the ass.

Always gotta look on the flip size I guess

If we cut him from the list then we may need to recruit another player to ensure we meet the minimum list size. That means either a DFA or an extra draftee in a weak draft - plus their salary on top.

Even if it’s not for the list size reason there’s no additional cost to keeping him on the list. In the event we suddenly require him to play (very unlikely) or he has a change of heart and some other club wants him (very unlikely) then we can then trade him.

But yeah, main point is there’s nothing lost by keeping on the list.

Why wouldn't we just upgrade Cousins or Glass or Hanrahan for Vickery then pick up another rookie on minimum wage?

Could get a gem that we otherwise would not have got by keeping Vickery on the list.

So TV stays as a senior list player, and the rookies can play seniors anyway.
Not sure is if I read somewhere that the club would have bare minimum on senior list
Does that mean the club can get another on senior list and still keep total rookie spots.
I guess Nash remains as Cat B rookie for next year.
Just wondering how to have the best fit for 2018 and TV out is ok with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back