Predict the bottom four at the end of 2018

Which teams will be in the bottom four at the end of 2018?

• Adelaide

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 531 60.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 603 68.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 144 16.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 208 23.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 698 79.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 702 79.9%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 105 11.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 13 1.5%
  • West Coast

Votes: 110 12.5%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 61 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me this, when was the last time a team played in a grand final then started the following year 0-6? Never but it happened. Tell me did u think the tigers would win the flag this year? I bet not but it happened! Gold coast will play a good contested style of foity next year & will be a lot better than Nth. Especially if all players are fit. Melbourne should play finals next year & beat Nth. Carlton will still beat Nth as will Brisbane.

Ok mate. I'll see you back here either at the end of the year or much much much more likely when north defy the last 65 odd years of history and win at least one game in 2018.

Then I'll educate you on football, life and answer any questions you have.

Ok mate. I'll see you back here either at the end of the year or much much much more likely when north defy the last 65 odd years of history and win at least one game in 2018.

Then I'll educate you on football, life and answer any questions you have.
Hey why are you getting so whiney.. Its just a prediction. If im wrong & nth win a game, i'll happily admit my mistake. But saying you will educate me on football & life makes you sound like a total utensil

Hey why are you getting so whiney.. Its just a prediction. If im wrong & nth win a game, i'll happily admit my mistake. But saying you will educate me on football & life makes you sound like a total utensil

I'm not whiny mate. You were pretty certain North couldn't win a game in 2018. That's an obvious troll or a terrible understanding of the game.

Assuming it's not a troll I just want to help you.

Ok, so here's what I think.
I don't see the Hawks improving. Brisbane and Carlton will be better. Maybe put them into definite bottom 6.

Gold Coast
North
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane
Hawks
Nearly no chance the Hawks will win the spoon, as plenty of far worse teams & Clarkson has too much pride & nouse.

I'm not whiny mate. You were pretty certain North couldn't win a game in 2018. That's an obvious troll or a terrible understanding of the game.

Assuming it's not a troll I just want to help you.
OMG you are *ed. Listen to what i am saying. MY prediction is your team will not win a game. Get over it. Who cares. Im probably wrong... Ive been watching & im guessing playing longer than you. So instead of being a smart ass, respect my opinion & move on. Reply with you prediction if u want but quit with the smart ass talk.

OMG you are ******ed. Listen to what i am saying. MY prediction is your team will not win a game. Get over it. Who cares. Im probably wrong... Ive been watching & im guessing playing longer than you. So instead of being a smart ass, respect my opinion & move on. Reply with you prediction if u want but quit with the smart ass talk.

I understand. Thanks.

Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide and North Melbourne

I'm probably the most cynical Crows fan out there and even I don't think we'll go bottom 4 in 2018. Is your opinion based on some type of rationale or is this just wishful thinking?

Geelong and Sydney aren't going bottom 4 either. North Melbourne are a lock though.

Oh no, somebody i’ve never met doesn’t rate my team!
Time to have a rant at them so I can convince them of my team’s talent. :huh:

I'm probably the most cynical Crows fan out there and even I don't think we'll go bottom 4 in 2018. Is your opinion based on some type of rationale or is this just wishful thinking?

Geelong and Sydney aren't going bottom 4 either. North Melbourne are a lock though.
Big money to be made for gambling types. Crows $4 to miss the 8 last time I looked. Not much value though.

Ok, so have a look at last years ladder. Bottom spot 5 wins
Brisbane win two close games and up to 15th.

Collingwood WILL do better, they weren't that bad last year.
Carlton and Brisbane will potentially be on par or above the Hawks
What sides are going to drop below the Hawks from last season???

My picks are
18 Gold Coast
17 North
16 Fremantle
15 one of Hawks, Carlton or Brisbane.
View attachment 440356
The overall ladder position is what lots of people look at when reviewing a year and that’s fair enough to a point, but with Hawthorn this was heavily effected by the first couple of months of football where they completely fell away in games once it got a bit tough.

That all changed in the second half of 2017 though, and form later in the year is a much better guide of how a club is tracking into the next season than what they were doing in April/May.

As I posted previously, Hawthorn were the 6th best performed team in the second half of 2017. That’s got to carry some weight, considering the senior players who were missing and the talent they uncovered along the way.

Post bye only Sydney and Adelaide had better records against the top 8(also lost to Geelong by a kick and drew with GWS).
Only Adelaide scored more freely(even with Gunston/Sicily playing as defenders and Rioli nowhere to be found).

So I think Hawthorn’s form in the second half of 2017 provides pretty valid data to for a view that they won’t be a bottom 4 club in 2018, especially considering the players that they will get back, the lessons learnt from early in the year and the improvement to come in a few of the youngsters. Plus Clarkson.

They could push passed a number of clubs if their late 2017 form continues.

The “they won’t improve” viewpoint isn’t really backed up by any data, but I’m just providing a counter view.

83004B81-E39C-4D31-B2AB-C5FC02483AAA.jpeg

*ladder only completed for top 12 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three seem obvious enough in north, Gold Coast and Brisbane. Just where they are at for the moment, though the lions may surprise.

I reluctantly put Carlton in despite building a good young list. It's still young, have lost Gibbs and docherty, and I think the 2 WA teams (who I'm predicting low finishes for) will still have that home town edge to keep them out of the bottom 4.
Gold Coast will be the big improvers next year, won't be bottom 4, I'll put a carton on it!

The overall ladder position is what lots of people look at when reviewing a year and that’s fair enough to a point, but with Hawthorn this was heavily effected by the first couple of months of football where they completely fell away in games once it got a bit tough.

That all changed in the second half of 2017 though, and form later in the year is a much better guide of how a club is tracking into the next season than what they were doing in April/May.

As I posted previously, Hawthorn were the 6th best performed team in the second half of 2017. That’s got to carry some weight, considering the senior players who were missing and the talent they uncovered along the way.

Post bye only Sydney and Adelaide had better records against the top 8(also lost to Geelong by a kick and drew with GWS).
Only Adelaide scored more freely(even with Gunston/Sicily playing as defenders and Rioli nowhere to be found).

So I think Hawthorn’s form in the second half of 2017 provides pretty valid data to for a view that they won’t be a bottom 4 club in 2018, especially considering the players that they will get back, the lessons learnt from early in the year and the improvement to come in a few of the youngsters. Plus Clarkson.

They could push passed a number of clubs if their late 2017 form continues.

The “they won’t improve” viewpoint isn’t really backed up by any data, but I’m just providing a counter view.

View attachment 440392

*ladder only completed for top 12 teams.
Adelaide - Good
Sydney and Geelong, always good games

Lost to Carlton,
Beat some low ranking teams.

Still don't rate the Hawks

Adelaide - Good
Sydney and Geelong, always good games

Lost to Carlton,
Beat some low ranking teams.

Still don't rate the Hawks
It makes sense as a Port supporter that you wouldn’t after the effort this year.

I voted for Nth, GC, BNE and WCE as my slider. Not very brave.
I also think the bottom 4 will win more games on aggregate than any bottom 4 in history. Happy to schooled on what number of games that target might be.

Sorry bro, read through my history of comments. I have never trolled anyone & do not like trolls. I just do not rate Nths list at all & honestly believe Nth will be the AFL's whipping boys next year.
Dude, not many people rate North's list anyway so your not alone there.

Bbh with most clubs on the rise and the evenness of the competition, North could easily win the spoon. People on this thread will rave about Carlton and Fremantle's rebuilds saying it will be a while before either of those clubs seriously challenge, but at leased they know their heading in the right direction and the we all know that they are being well run/coached and a return to finals for both is only a matter of time. When you are a small club like North and the Gold Coast the time at the bottom will be twice as painful as other clubs due to the fact they aren't a destination club for quality players to come to. Like the Swans were in the 90's and the Lions in recent years...

Both North and Gold Coast will be trenched at the bottom in the foreseeable future.

Back