Australia V England 2nd test of the 2017/18 Ashes @Adelaide Oval

The second match in the five match ashes series starts on the 2nd of December 2017 and will be played at the Adelaide oval.
Session times (Not taking into account delays) (All times are subject to change)
Session 1: 2:30pm - 4:30pm (AEDT)
Session 2: 4:50pm - 6:50pm (AEDT)
Session 3: 7:30pm - 9:30pm (AEDT)
Teams:
Australia: Cameron Bancroft, David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon and Josh Hazlewood
England: Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root (c), Dawid Malan, Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, Craig Overton and James Anderson,
Leading wicket taker First innings
Australia: The GOAT himself Nathan Lyon 4 wickets
England: Craig Overton 3 Wickets
Leading run scorer First innings
Australia: Shaun Marsh 126 DEC (230) #InMarshWeTrust
England: Craig Overton 41* (71)
Leading wicket taker second innings
Australia: Mitchell Starc 5
England: James Anderson 6
Leading run scorer second innings
Australia: Mitchell Starc 20 (25)
England: Joe Root 67 (123)

Last edited:
Don’t know much about Overton but surely he has to come in for ball. Strengthens the batting lower in the order for starters.

Get rid of Woakes as well. The words "C to D grade plodder" come to mind. He's rubbish.

You can’t really drop anyone after a 10 wicket win but I feel Adelaide is best played with an all rounder in the team. If we don’t get a fifth bowler for some of the tests then one of our quicks will break down at some stage as well. Idk who is best suited though. If Maxwell was a swing bowler it would be perfect. Maybe swap the Marsh brothers around and then swap back for the WACA?

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
You've waited a long time to see a guy who is 24.

Cricket is a funny game.
Yeh ,Cummins owes us, has been on full AC contract all the time he was not playing ( thanks Pat ) we have invested millions on him , so he better be the greatest fast bowler to cum from NSW

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
In the 289.3 overs Australia has bowled in Adelaide since the Adelaide test became day/night, the four frontline bowlers have not bowled a grand total of 8 of them. I'm sure we can manage to cover the 2.7% of overs that won't be bowled by our 4 front-liners without having to resort to picking an all-rounder.

As much as I don't rate him a chance of doing it consistently, I'd take Shaun Marsh's 51 in the first test over someone coming in who can bowl 10 overs. We don't have 2005 Freddie Flintoff and I'm glad the selectors went for an in form batsman at 6.

In the first D/N test against NZ Mitch Marsh took 3/59 in the second innings after Starc got injured. That's great and if he could consistently get 40-50 with the bat he'd never have been dropped - but he can't. We shouldn't be picking teams in case a bowler gets injured. If Cummins or Starc get injured again then that's bad luck, we'll replace them for the following test.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
As much as I don't rate him a chance of doing it consistently, I'd take Shaun Marsh's 51 in the first test over someone coming in who can bowl 10 overs. We don't have 2005 Freddie Flintoff and I'm glad the selectors went for an in form batsman at 6.

In the first D/N test against NZ Mitch Marsh took 3/59 in the second innings after Starc got injured. That's great and if he could consistently get 40-50 with the bat he'd never have been dropped - but he can't. We shouldn't be picking teams in case a bowler gets injured. If Cummins or Starc get injured again then that's bad luck, we'll replace them for the following test.
I was really hoping this post wouldn't get quoted as I realised Mitch Marsh bowled in the 2nd innings of the first D/N soon after I pressed post reply haha. My bad.

But what you're saying is essentially what my point was. We need the batting more than we need the extra bowling.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Best way to give our bowlers rest is not constantly be that 4-5 out all out team that we were when we had people like mitch marsh at 6, we don't pick a 5th bowler to win games with the ball anyway they are purely insurance so why not just strive for bigger totals and that way you can bowl part timers for 2-3 overs and not worry if they leak a few.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't see the bowling line-up changing after such a good performance, and the way Smith talked about the top six in the post-match makes it sound like none of them are for the high-jump.

My money would be on Maxwell or Marsh to be added to the squad, with a view to playing them if it looks like the pitch will be hard on the bowlers.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I was really hoping this post wouldn't get quoted as I realised Mitch Marsh bowled in the 2nd innings of the first D/N soon after I pressed post reply haha. My bad.

But what you're saying is essentially what my point was. We need the batting more than we need the extra bowling.

He only bowled 5 overs in the first innings, though. Over his 21 tests he's bowled on average 8.5 overs per innings. That + 40 with the bat = spot at 6. That + 20 with the bat = playing for WA.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't see the bowling line-up changing after such a good performance, and the way Smith talked about the top six in the post-match makes it sound like none of them are for the high-jump.

My money would be on Maxwell or Marsh to be added to the squad, with a view to playing them if it looks like the pitch will be hard on the bowlers.
Pretty sure Mitch Marsh not bowling at present due to injury. He didn't bowl at all during current shield match against QLD. As for Maxwell, I don't reckon he's a test standard bowler. Might be worth playing and bowl for 12-14 overs just to spell the pacemen. Unfortunately doubt if he'd be a wicket taker, and he's not economical.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Maxwell any chance of coming in after his 278 ? Personally I think it will be an unchanged side.
Can't see any change to the batting unless Marsh's back flares up. Maxwell definitely putting some pressure on three of them. Marsh hasn't cemented himself, Khawaja's struggles against spin mean he is not a definite selection long term and even Handscomb's poor form has got him creeping into the red zone.

But there will be no unforced changes to the batting for this test, and no more than 1 (if any) for the third test should we go ahead 2-0.

Bowling as ever comes down to the fitness of the quick bowlers. I suspect they will all be fine for Adelaide.

England - hard to see how they can pick Ball again. His confidence must be totally shot. Overton has a great FC record and a few wickets on this tour. Surely has to come in. They may consider Crane, given Woakes has been average at test level and Ali may not be able to bowl too many overs in Adelaide with his finger. I can't see them changing their batting line-up.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The second match in the five match ashes series starts on the 2nd of December 2017 and will be played at the Adelaide oval.
Session times (Not taking into account delays) (All times are subject to change)
Session 1: 2:30pm - 4:30pm (AEST)
Session 2: 4:50pm - 6:50pm (AEST)
Session 3: 7:30pm - 9:30pm (AEST)
Teams:
Australia: Yet to be announced (Thread will be updated as soon as teams are announced)
England: Yet to be announced (Thread will be updated as soon as teams are announced)
Leading wicket taker (This will be updated at the end of each day)
Australia: N/A
England: N/A
Leading run scorer (This will be updated at the end of each day)
Australia: N/A
England: N/A

That's AEDT not AEST.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Can't see any changes although Maxwell is unlucky. The double century came a week too late and the win was just too comprehensive to consider dropping someone. Marsh and Bancroft justified their callup. Smith and Warner pick themselves. Khawaja and Handscomb may come under pressure for Perth if they miss out in both innings.

Cummins and Lyon were both super impressive. Starc and Hazlewood weren't at their best but ended up with decent figures. The pleasing thing about the bowling in the first innings was that when they weren't taking wickets they were at least keeping it tight, something we've been pretty bad at in recent years.

As for England, Ball bowled utter tripe. Doesn't have the pace to worry our batsman. He was probably made to look worse by Root asking him to bowl constant bouncers, those 125km/h tennis balls were laughable. Anderson and Broad are always dangerous and had their moments in Brisbane. Both will love bowling under lights. If we win the toss and bat I reckon we need to go hard those first two sessions. I don't know much about the squad so don't know if there is an upgrade on Ball. They so badly need Stokes...

Back