Training 2018 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was pretty surprised to see that the Herald Sun had access to and published the specific 2km time for Begley. Usually these details are kept well under wraps once players enter the AFL system, with clubs opting to just list the top 5 with no times for the outside world to mull over and compare.

That being said it has been published and is very much discussion worthy.

Presuming the majority of our list registered a time, the article states that only 6 of our players recorded a 2km time quicker than 6:44. I'm definitely not a sports scientist by any stretch of the imagination but this seems to the uneducated, such as myself, quite a low total to reach a relatively modest time interval (for professional athletes).

Obviously measuring this result to your local clubs pre-season times is hardly a solid form guide to build all your opinions on... but I would say most local clubs that I have been involved in at Senior level would be disappointed if only 3 or 4 players were running quicker than 6:45 for a 2km trial in pre-season.

Another comparison: At around this time last year, the Geelong Falcons were in full-swing in pre-season testings for their Under 18's. 5 of their bottom-aged players (16 and 17 year olds) ran times less than 6:10 for the 2km trial (Oscar Brownless came in 5th at a time of 6:10).

Is it simply just that as players develop in the system and put on more weight/muscle to combat the rigors of AFL Football, that the by-product is a few seconds slower in a meaningless December time-trial?

I was pretty surprised to see that the Herald Sun had access to and published the specific 2km time for Begley. Usually these details are kept well under wraps once players enter the AFL system, with clubs opting to just list the top 5 with no times for the outside world to mull over and compare.

Presuming the majority of our list registered a time, the article states that only 6 of our players recorded a 2km time quicker than 6:44. I'm definitely not a sports scientist by any stretch of the imagination but this seems to the uneducated, such as myself, quite a low total to reach a relatively modest time interval (for professional athletes).

Obviously measuring this result to your local clubs pre-season times is hardly a solid form guide to build all your opinions on... but I would say most local clubs that I have been involved in at Senior level would be disappointed if only 3 or 4 players were running quicker than 6:45 for a 2km trial in pre-season.

Another comparison: At around this time last year, the Geelong Falcons were in full-swing in pre-season testings for their Under 18's. 5 of their bottom-aged players (16 and 17 year olds) ran times less than 6:10 for the 2km trial (Oscar Brownless came in 5th at a time of 6:10).

Is it simply just that as players develop in the system and put on more weight/muscle to combat the rigors of AFL Football, that the by-product is a few seconds slower in a meaningless December time-trial?

Without seeing the whole course it seems to be mostly flat and dirt (happy to be corrected on that) similar to the surface at the Tan, if that is right then maybe the rain was a factor because I know with the Tan that when it gets damp it isn't great for trying to go quickly.

If the article is correct it's very dissapointing only 6 players ran a faster time than 6:44.

I think I remember last year Zaka and Colyer both broke their mark of 6:30.

Last edited:
The 2km Time Trial
What should you run

5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete
6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player
6:16 - 6:30 min = Slightly Better than average AFL Standard
6:31 - 6:45 min = Average to Slow Standard (45% of AFL players are in this bracket)
6:46 - 7:10 min = Had a big festive season or is a Key Position player

Obviously allowances have to made for weather, state of the track.

The 2km Time Trial
What should you run

6:31 - 6:45 min = Average to Slow Standard (45% of AFL players are in this bracket)

In wet weather, on a gravel or dirt trail (not road or an actual athletics track) I’d have said anything under 7 minutes at this time of year is fine.

Blicavs would have gone around the 6 minute mark when he first crossed over but even he’s slowed down as he’s put on size he said.

Ambrose would be a good benchmark, my guess is his fitness level doesn’t change a whole lot since he’s a mature body and a developed runner, so base it on how the players go compared to him.

Seeing plenty of young blokes up there means they’ve kept their fitness going over the break and should be ready to really run out games.

Begley as a big bodied player that is reasonably explosive being up there definitely is a fantastic sign for his ability to push for a spot this year.

Similar for Mutch and Clark.

The 2km Time Trial
What should you run

Cam Rayner ran it in just under 8 mins!

The track around the ovals is not flat either: Where they start running outside the building it is level with the MCG oval, then it goes up a slight hill as it wraps past the far Etihad oval goals near the road entrance and then the track winds back around the other side of the MCG oval still at a higher elevation before eventually getting back level with the MCG oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When do they announce the leadership group for the 2018 season?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The 2km Time Trial
What should you run

That's incredibly inaccurate. Anything under 8 minutes is acceptable this time of year.

That's incredibly inaccurate. Anything under 8 minutes is acceptable this time of year.

Really? A few of the draftees were recording under these time. Rayner’s 8 mins stood out because it was surprisingly poor.

Really? A few of the draftees were recording under these time. Rayner’s 8 mins stood out because it was surprisingly poor.
4 minute km's are generally held to be a good pace at this point of pre-season. Draftees generally aren't carrying the same weight as seasoned pro's as well. You want to cut it to less than 7 minutes by late Jan/early Feb though

4 minute km's are generally held to be a good pace at this point of pre-season. Draftees generally aren't carrying the same weight as seasoned pro's as well. You want to cut it to less than 7 minutes by late Jan/early Feb though
4min a km is a good pace over longer distances, not over a 2km time trial. Even if it is the off-season.

VfgCWMs.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back