Strongest Player in the AFL - Pound for Pound

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hawkins is our best bench presser. You can tell his pushing power by looking at all his upper torso pushes where he accidentally and innocently punches players in the face every round.

Stanley currently and Kent Kingsley previously which just goes to show how completely useless judging footballers strength based on gym work is.

Functional strength through the core >>> bench press in the AFL game.

Give me the strength of Ablett Jr, Fyfe or Martin before a guy who can bench a lot.
But they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Viney has excellent core strength too, as evidenced by numerous things, such as speed out of a contest, more than holding his own after Rance tried to get him to ground in the "Rance elbow to the back of the head Watts incident", and his squatting exploits.

Here's Viney at 22 box squatting 180kg (400 pounds). I wonder what he squats now.

Pound for pound I doubt anyone is stronger in the AFL. We just need him injury free.

EDIT: he now does 220KG plus box squats.

Last edited:
Most people don’t know what core strength is or what it does, your confusing leg strength and balance. Core strength only has a small benefit for performance but is very important for injury prevention.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you're 178cm tall, the strongest player at your club by the age of 21, can bench press 155 kgs, and squat more than anyone else, then I suggest your core strength, i.e. abdominal strength, back and pelvic muscles, are likely to be very strong too.

I find it hard to know how anyone could argue otherwise.

But go ahead. Give it a shot.

Breaking and making tackles and outbodying players is all about balance, doesn't matter how strong you are if you cant get that strength to the ground.

Its why that scene where Captian America holds the chopper down by pure strength is such BS. No matter how strong he is unless he weighs a couple of tonnes he would just lift off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking and making tackles and outbodying players is all about balance, doesn't matter how strong you are if you cant get that strength to the ground.

Its why that scene where Captian America holds the chopper down by pure strength is such BS. No matter how strong he is unless he weighs a couple of tonnes he would just lift off.
You're watching a movie about a super powered man with a magic shield born in 1918 who spent 50 years sitting inside an iceberg.

And you're worried about some minor physics issues?

But they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Viney has excellent core strength too, as evidenced by numerous things, such as speed out of a contest, more than holding his own after Rance tried to get him to ground in the "Rance elbow to the back of the head Watts incident", and his squatting exploits.

Here's Viney at 22 box squatting 180kg (400 pounds). I wonder what he squats now.

Pound for pound I doubt anyone is stronger in the AFL. We just need him injury free.

EDIT: he now does 220KG plus box squats.

Viney is an absolute beast but no way anyone who knows anything about lifting is counting that as a legitimate rep. He doesn't get near going below 90 degrees

From Essendon I have no idea on lifting stats but Tippa is a freak in the sense he's up there in the comp for tackles broken, hits blokes like a cannonball and is only 76kg.

If you're 178cm tall, the strongest player at your club by the age of 21, can bench press 155 kgs, and squat more than anyone else, then I suggest your core strength, i.e. abdominal strength, back and pelvic muscles, are likely to be very strong too.

I find it hard to know how anyone could argue otherwise.

But go ahead. Give it a shot.

His core strength probably is strong but that doesn’t change the fact that most people don’t know what core does. You aren’t breaking or standing up in tackles because of your core strength, it’s other muscles doing most of the work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Viney is an absolute beast but no way anyone who knows anything about lifting is counting that as a legitimate rep. He doesn't get near going below 90 degrees

From Essendon I have no idea on lifting stats but Tippa is a freak in the sense he's up there in the comp for tackles broken, hits blokes like a cannonball and is only 76kg.

Hard to believe he's only 76kg, built like a keg on legs - very solid bloke.

Never thought I’d see reference to captain America on bf but there you go...

You don't need to be going that low. In a game situation you're not squatting that low. You squat to box height and that's it. You don't see players pushing off tackles or tackling players by squatting that low down, thats why the box squat is so useful.

You don't need to be going that low. In a game situation you're not squatting that low. You squat to box height and that's it. You don't see players pushing off tackles or tackling players by squatting that low down, thats why the box squat is so useful.

I'm not knocking the use of the exercise I'm sure the sports science guys know what they are doing that being said I'm fairly sure AFL players box squat because it reduces the chance of injury and nothing to do with them not needing to squat low.

I'm just saying that quoting lifting numbers for partial reps means nothing especially in this case where Viney is squatting onto an already high box with a plate thrown on for good measure.

Apparently 20 year old, 181 cm and 78 kg Blake Hardwick from Hawthorn bench presses over 150 kgs.

cf0ec7d6b20cb93cc998e041fdf7c4d1

Small guys can have an advantage at lifting weights because they don't have as far to lift them as others have pointed out. I remember being able to leg press much more than any of my mates in high school when I was by far the smallest. The reason being that I didn't need to extend my legs nearly as much. It was a much shorter push for my legs. Also won back to back interschool gold medals in weightlifting in Year 7 and 8 of High school. I was tiny, 35 kgs, but had a good technique which meant that again my legs did most of the lifting and I could drop under the bar easily, so the bar never had to travel far to get over my head. If you looked at me now as a middle aged man just over 65 kgs you would never believe it.

I'm not knocking the use of the exercise I'm sure the sports science guys know what they are doing that being said I'm fairly sure AFL players box squat because it reduces the chance of injury and nothing to do with them not needing to squat low.

I'm just saying that quoting lifting numbers for partial reps means nothing especially in this case where Viney is squatting onto an already high box with a plate thrown on for good measure.
Yeah that's a fair point re lifting numbers I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back