News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm amazed that almost nobody in this thread has been out 9 hours before they are meant to be at work. I have been out at 11.30 plenty of times and still been fully functioning the next day at 8.30am.

First of all, I was supposed to start work on Monday but here I am day drinking Vodka on Tuesday arvo while the kids nap...

I'm amazed that almost nobody in this thread has been out 9 hours before they are meant to be at work. I have been out at 11.30 plenty of times and still been fully functioning the next day at 8.30am.

yeah loving the parasites that is the media raving about "Bennell in scuffle just hours before he was due at training."

Scumbags.

Have the club said he even missed training, yeah he wasnt there but maybe he wasnt meant to be there.

'AFL.com.au also understands Bennell, 25, was not at training on Monday as the Dockers returned from their Christmas break.' Thats the only info on missed training I can find.
Possible that he was at the club yesterday but hid from the media in the gym?

To be fair, if I had Harley's reprimands with my employer and footage emerged of me being in a scuffle and then I didn't show up for work, nor bother to contact my employer to let them know I wasn't coming in, I'd be shown the door.

What the heck was he even doing at a nightclub anyway? Had all off season to go, that's fine. But surely he would have common sense to think 'hey, training starts this week (tomorrow) and I should be prepared' it's obvious he has a negative social group around him. Influenced/peer pressured into going out. Made Lyon look like a dimwit today.

Harley Bennell has been hit with a significant fine and ordered to train away from the club for the next two months following his involvement in a disturbance at a licensed premises in Fremantle on Sunday night.

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said the club had fined Bennell $15,000 (with $5000 suspended), ordered the 25-year-old to train away from the club and also undertake ongoing counselling.

“Harley has not met our expected standards and also those of an elite AFL player,” Bond said.

“In this instance, he consumed an excessive amount of alcohol the day before a training session.

“In addition to a $15,000 fine, Harley will not train at the club for the next eight weeks and also continue ongoing counselling to assist him with making better decisions in off-field situations.

“Harley will train with Peel during that period and will also be required to undertake and complete a separate training program set by our strength and conditioning staff.

“Whilst we have set an eight-week time frame for when Harley can return to the club and train with his team mates, ultimately that will be determined by Harley’s future actions, how he responds to the measures we have put in place and whether he can consistently meet and display the standards expected by the club and the playing group.”

I don’t get why people are waiting for the club to investigate. At best, at the very best, what’s a satisfactory excuse?

As talented as he is, I don’t want anyone at my club even thinking it’s even remotely OK to be out on the piss the night before a mandatory training session and the first sessions after the Christmas break (he’s just had two weeks off and I did see him very ‘festive’ at the Ice Cream Factory bar, I’m sure he made the most of his time off the other 13 days, too) and to top it off getting into a scuffle.

IMO if the club/leadership group still want him around, at a minimum the $10k suspended fine is enforced plus another fine plus community service/charity/volunteer work of some type, seek medical and professional help (mandatory) and a total alcohol ban. He trains with Peel until he’s proved himself committed and has to earn the respect of every single one of the club staff (coaches, players, administrators) before he’s considered for senior selection.

If that’s too much for him, good riddance you selfish cretin.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-01-09/harley-bennell-club-statement-

Seems the club read my BF post.

Harley is off to the bar to celebrate another soft **** sentence, well done Freo, show them kids we tolerate a lot

Just keeping the media happy. Nothing to see here, still primed for a ripper 2018*

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley Bennell has been hit with a significant fine and ordered to train away from the club for the next two months following his involvement in a disturbance at a licensed premises in Fremantle on Sunday night.

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said the club had fined Bennell $15,000 (with $5000 suspended), ordered the 25-year-old to train away from the club and also undertake ongoing counselling.

“Harley has not met our expected standards and also those of an elite AFL player,” Bond said.

“In this instance, he consumed an excessive amount of alcohol the day before a training session.

“In addition to a $15,000 fine, Harley will not train at the club for the next eight weeks and also continue ongoing counselling to assist him with making better decisions in off-field situations.

“Harley will train with Peel during that period and will also be required to undertake and complete a separate training program set by our strength and conditioning staff.

“Whilst we have set an eight-week time frame for when Harley can return to the club and train with his team mates, ultimately that will be determined by Harley’s future actions, how he responds to the measures we have put in place and whether he can consistently meet and display the standards expected by the club and the playing group.”

"Football operations manager Chris Bond said the club will assist with Bennell's 'personal wellbeing' and assign him an counsellor to help with 'personal issues'.

"We have an agreed action plan as how to best assist Harley with his personal wellbeing and his return to playing football," Bond said.

"With respect to football, we have a rehabilitation and training program in place for Harley to return to playing, initially for Peel, in the next five to six weeks.

"Given Harley’s previous commitment to rehabilitation and training in accordance with his program, we are confident that he will give himself the best chance to get back to playing.

"The agreed off-field action plan includes Harley working with an external expert counsellor to assist in dealing with personal issues.

"With regard to his off-field conduct since his injury setback, it has been made clear to Harley what expectations the club and his team mates have and the standards and behaviours that need to be maintained."

That was his Peel sentence, didn't he already have a counsellor?

Seems a fair penalty. I think he is unlikely to play many games this year now . I suggest we all move on.

Walters got a similar type penalty and it worked. However I don't think Bennell has the discipline to turn it around. It is only a matter of time before he buggers up again. He was worth a punt when we recruited him but he will turn out to be a disaster recruiting decision costing lots and delivering at best only a few games.

Are you a professional athlete too?

This really pisses me off.

The one player who needs significant attention and monitoring due to his well documented soft tissue injuries has been banished to a WAFL club and to also undertake a set program. This has alarm bells written all over it. For the most part, he will not have access to elite trainers for strapping, rubs or intense monitoring.

He had to be punished but so that is what it is, but what pisses me off is that this idiot, who Freo have backed in endlessly, has flat out thrown it straight back in the faces of not only the club but us the fans. He is a selfish individual and has a long way to go to earn the respect of anyone.

The statement doesn't discuss any breach regarding not attending a training session - so perhaps there wasn't any.

Does it suggest that Harley is currently in rehab for an existing injury?

The TV crews will have to drive down to Mandurah to get their 10 seconds of footage in the carpark with Harley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back