AFL changes rules on club runners - AFL players might have to think for themselves!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...w-runner-rules-this-year-20180211-p4yzyf.html

This is a very good move by AFL, needs to be introduced ASAP. No other sport in the world where a coach is allowed to enter the field of play to tell players what they should be doing. They are a blight on the game, trying to explain to someone new to the game (like my 5yo daughter) the purpose of a runner makes you realise how useless they are. They block up space and get in the way... Get rid of them please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah great idea love this, will promote on-field leadership by players even more.

trying to explain to someone new to the game (like my 5yo daughter) the purpose of a runner makes you realise how useless they are.
"They relay messages from the coach to the player." How hard was that?

Last edited:
Yep. I'm generally a 'leave the bloody game alone' type, but I've always wanted to get rid of the runners. Good move.

I am your opposite. I am usually happy to entertain the changes but this one doesn't enthuse me. I think runners are worth the incident or two per season they cause.

I don't want to see a game determined by a bit of role confusion between players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back