Bigeasy's Tour of Italy 13 March to 9 April 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

If I am going to miss the first three rounds of the season it better be a bloody good reason and as I have already stated in another thread, I'm off to Italy.

So while I'm there I thought of taking some strategic photos of moi in my North jumper and cap in front of some sights and post them on here as i go. Not sure if anyone would be particularly interested so we will see how we go.

Now I'm just under 2 weeks away from flying out so I am asking you good people for some suggestions? Now I'm not going to put the Pope in a head lock and right an asterix on his scone but I will consider more discerning ideas.

Anyway soon to be bon voyage, Bigeasy

I spent 7 weeks in Italy during the middle of last season, think I posted in a few game day threads was drowning my sorrows with a few 1 liter bottles.

I spent 7 weeks in Italy during the middle of last season, think I posted in a few game day threads was drowning my sorrows with a few 1 liter bottles.

Any good bars to watch the game?

Foxtel Go on a VPN is your best option.

Never tied it tbh.

Tbh, I think we lost every game while I was away, I wasn’t in a rush for the replay.

My friend went somewhere on the south east coast and said it was unreal. Do you want me to ask where it was?

Sure but I don't intend going down to far south. Naples on the west and Abruzzi on the east. Mainly central and North will be my hot spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're going at a pretty good time of year, Big. Rome is wonderful, as is Florence, Perugia, Siena, Bologna, Padua, Venice ... the latter is to be avoided during the northern summer, but March-April will be great. Take a bus through Umbria and Tuscany if you can, say from Perugia to Florence. Try to see Siena. Also maybe Assisi if you have time. Do Milan to Venice with stops in Verona and Padua.

Pisa and Cinque Terre are reachable too, if you're doing Florence (and you really should).

(Bought my first wife an eternity ring on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Next time I go there I'm going to tell them that it was false advertising - it was only a 3-and-a-bit year ring)

I'm envious now. Might try to get some time off to do it myself.

You're going at a pretty good time of year, Big. Rome is wonderful, as is Florence, Perugia, Siena, Bologna, Padua, Venice ... the latter is to be avoided during the northern summer, but March-April will be great. Take a bus through Umbria and Tuscany if you can, say from Perugia to Florence. Try to see Siena. Also maybe Assisi if you have time. Do Milan to Venice with stops in Verona and Padua.

Pisa and Cinque Terre are reachable too, if you're doing Florence (and you really should).

(Bought my first wife an eternity ring on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Next time I go there I'm going to tell them that it was false advertising - it was only a 3-and-a-bit year ring)

Beware of that Bridge in Florence.

18 carat there.

9 carat here.

Mate you just about stated my iteniry.

I am staying in Rome for 6 daus and then ive hired a car and driving to Venice, Bologna, Florence and the Tuscany region, Perugia, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and plenty of other towns and villas in between. And then when that's done I'm on the train to Cinque Terre for 5 days staying first night at Rommigierre and walking to the 5 towns. Staying two night in Vernazza in an apartment overlooking the sea. :thumbsu:

Pretend to be anything other than English speaking tourist anywhere in Europe to avoid Hawkers, pickpockets and Thieves.

Other than that...awesome

I will fit in ;)

I am staying in Rome for 6 daus and then ive hired a car and driving to Venice, Bologna, Florence and the Tuscany region, Perugia, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and plenty of other towns and villas in between. And then when that's done I'm on the train to Cinque Terre for 5 days staying first night at Rommigierre and walking to the 5 towns. Staying two night in Vernazza in an apartment overlooking the sea. :thumbsu:

Awesome. Got room in your suitcase?

Mate, that's a fantastic itinerary.

Yes to all that. Apart from Pisa (just too many tourists and touts) I think every tourist destination exceeded expectations - it's an easy train circle to see Florence, Siena and Cinque Terra and they are all beautiful. And Rome is wonderful - Trastevere is a nice part to stay in. We also really liked staying away from the crowds in Venice - as far away from San Marco as you could get without being back at the train station, it was still an easy walk to everywhere but more where locals live. See the Guggenheim art museum while you are there. And you can jump on a commuter gondola across the grand canal for the fun of it much cheaper than hiring one. Sorry this is a bit random but I wish was going too.

You are driving? All the best.

You are driving? All the best.
Agree on this. Why would you drive when Europe has the best rail in the world.
Quick, affordable, and can use sleepers for overnight travel and save on hotels. Additionally you get to see and experience more to as opposed to having your head stuck in a map or google maps etc.

Agree on this. Why would you drive when Europe has the best rail in the world.
Quick, affordable, and can use sleepers for overnight travel and save on hotels. Additionally you get to see and experience more to as opposed to having your head stuck in a map or google maps etc.
I was thinking more that Italian drivers are certifiable. But I agree, I've done both and would go rail again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back