Game Day JLT R1- Bulldogs vs Hawks @Mars

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Campbell, Honey, Jong etc are good players, but they are comparatively good depth (so much so that I think some should have been delisted for more kids).

A guy like Campbell is now 5th in line for the ruck duties (Roughy, Trengove, Toyd and English all ahead) and he has 5-6 preseasons behind him. All things equal he will be much better than most guys in a similar position at other clubs (likely to be raw 18yos). Same with guys like Roberts who are behind Morris/Adams/Cordy/Naughton, but are much better than throwing a 5th round speculative 18yo to the wolves.

My view is more that our list isn't the best because we've got a lot of guys like Hunter, Wallis, Libba, Dahl, Picken etc who ARE all good players, but on that level below great players. You could argue Bont and maybe Macrae are in the top 50 players in the league, how many others?

If fit I see Bont Libba and Jack as best 50

How many do Richmond have top 50 ? Martin Rance Cotchin and maybe Jack?

Depth has become very very important

I actually thought Naughton fell into our lap but good on Dal for still recruiting him though.
Is it the same recruiter who picked Lewis Young, Kieran Collins,
Zaine Cordy and Marcus Adams hedging the bets a little don't
you think. The way football is being played is making picking
up what was traditional talent very difficult. Jacob Townsend
kicked eleven goals in two weeks last year which is not a
great advert for the game.

If fit I see Bont Libba and Jack as best 50

How many do Richmond have top 50 ? Martin Rance Cotchin and maybe Jack?

Depth has become very very important

At the end of the day they weren't the best team of the year though, although like us still won.

Sydney: Hannerbery, Buddy, Kennedy, I see Heeney getting to that level quickly, Parker
Geelong: Ablett, Danger, Selwood, Hawkins in a good year, Duncan
Adelaide: Walker, Betts, Sloane, Brodie Smith, Crouch, maybe Gibbs now
GWS: Cameron, Ward, Kelly, Greene, Coniglio, etc etc

I think we've clearly got a lesser top end which puts so much more pressure in guys like Roughy, Picken, Wood, Wallis etc to perform.

A good train trip down to Ballarat to watch the game.

Firstly a political statement, i have a parent from Ballarat but for the life of me if we could not make the Western Oval a better AFL venue against interstate clubs and JLT games I am missing that the western suburbs of Melbourne have been in the top 3 growth regions of Australia for each of the last 15 years.

Back to Football. When we increased our defensive pressure we were clearly the better team

Libba loooks great, Mc Clean and Mc Crea 2 and 3 in our midfield Libba 4 now that is a real strength.

Wood up forward, get used to it has trained all pre season there.

Some great ball movement I just wish we had more separation in the forward line.

Adams.improved down back and Crozier amd Trengrove look good pick ups.

Have us 4th to 6th and still confident

Experimenting in the preseason! How awful!
Why would you experiment in the JLT? Sack the coaches immediately.
Further we have players who lacked intensity and fumbled! In the preseason!

Might as well burn the place down and start over. Bottom 4 definitely.
And looking at which other teams experimented and had players who lack intensity and fumbled, I looks like there will be 17 other teams in the bottom 4 with us.

You assume because I don’t think someone is a good AFL player I don’t like them? Our depth is over rated and how did it help us last year when it was needed? Roberts Campbell Honey couldn’t get games or keep spots and kids that are miles off had to play.

Sydney
GWS
Adelaide
Port

All have more senior ready players than us and possibly add

Melbourne
Essendon
Hawks
Tigers

To that list

If you think we have the 3rd best list on the league mate you seriously are blindly biased. All the statistical rating say we are 7-10 best list and thats even questionable for me

If we dumped all those players tomorrow the only one with a shot of getting redrafted is Jong and that’s to a very low team looking for mature help
Now you’re putting words in my mouth. I said our depth is maybe the 3rd best. Not our list. Our list is basically middle of the pack. For instance, Geelong has a supreme top end of their list. And then it falls away very sharply.

I disagree Port has better depth. Hawks don’t. Essendon don’t. Tigers maybe. GWS used to but now I’m not so sure.

Wasn't able to watch the game. Have a few questions though if someone can be kind enough to reply.

What was the rucking break down? As in, who played in there for what % of the game.
Where was Trengove playing?
Was Wood played back at all, or 100% up forward?
Where was Naughton playing?

Cheers :)
Trengove was our primary ruck, with Roughead spending time in there while on the ground and Schache contesting a couple of bounces. Trengove played mostly ruck and rested forward. Wood played 100% forward as far as I saw, with Naughton almost exclusively in the back half.

I think our midfield is going to be strong enough to roll us back into the 8.

I don't think we have enough goals in us to do much beyond that, but who the hell knows.

Beveridge is clearly structuring the forward line around not being beaten in the air (hence Roughead, Wood and Trengove) and then tackle mania on the deck (Dunkley, Dal, JJ etc). Clay Smith probably fits into those plans as well.

We still got outmarked down back against the Hawks and removing Wood from the back half isn't going to help that at all either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our midfield is going to be strong enough to roll us back into the 8.

I don't think we have enough goals in us to do much beyond that, but who the hell knows.

Beveridge is clearly structuring the forward line around not being beaten in the air (hence Roughead, Wood and Trengove) and then tackle mania on the deck (Dunkley, Dal, JJ etc). Clay Smith probably fits into those plans as well.

We still got outmarked down back against the Hawks and removing Wood from the back half isn't going to help that at all either.
Our new game is definitely being built on forward-half retention. We've completely cleaned out the back half and pumped it into the forward line, likely filling those defensive positions with a 70 gamer (Crozier), 20 gamer (Adams) and a 0 gamer (Naughton).

I love how much faith Beveridge has in this team, but if our midfielders/small forwards play like they did last year we are going to get absolutely curb stomped consistently with this setup. If it works, though...

Hawks Vs Bulldogs

Disposals: + 67
Kicks: + 28
Handballs: + 39
Free Kicks: + 11
Clearances: - 5
Centre: - 2
Stoppages: - 3
Inside 50's: - 6
Marks Inside 50: + 6
Contested Possession: - 1
Tackles: - 2
Hit Outs: - 23

Roughead and Schoenmakers kicked 5 goals, 4 behinds
from 23 Possessions, 8 of which were handballs.

JLT "Clanger King"
Dunkley x 4
Adams x 4
Honeychurch x 4
Biggs x 3
Williams x 3
Dahlhaus x 3

Trengove was our primary ruck, with Roughead spending time in there while on the ground and Schache contesting a couple of bounces. Trengove played mostly ruck and rested forward. Wood played 100% forward as far as I saw, with Naughton almost exclusively in the back half.
Cool, thanks mate. Not sure many would have predicted such a setup. As humans most of us have some fear of change and this is pretty scary to me haha.

I wonder how much the immediate impact of Naughton has had on the swinging of Wood forward?

With Trengove rucking it doesn't bode well for Boyd at all. Can't wait for the Herald Sun headlines if he spends most of the year in the 2s :sick::sick:

Cool, thanks mate. Not sure many would have predicted such a setup. As humans most of us have some fear of change and this is pretty scary to me haha.

I wonder how much the immediate impact of Naughton has had on the swinging of Wood forward?

With Trengove rucking it doesn't bode well for Boyd at all. Can't wait for the Herald Sun headlines if he spends most of the year in the 2s :sick::sick:

Barrett will wet his pants with excitement if Boyd plays twos all year.

He'll giggle like a school girl. I said it before, but he's the type that yells 'fight, fight, fight' then when confronted, he runs the other way.

Hawks Vs Bulldogs

Disposals: + 67
Kicks: + 28
Handballs: + 39
Free Kicks: + 11
Clearances: - 5
Centre: - 2
Stoppages: - 3
Inside 50's: - 6
Marks Inside 50: + 6
Contested Possession: - 1
Tackles: - 2
Hit Outs: - 23

Roughead and Schoenmakers kicked 5 goals, 4 behinds
from 23 Possessions, 8 of which were handballs.

JLT "Clanger King"
Dunkley x 4
Adams x 4
Honeychurch x 4
Biggs x 3
Williams x 3
Dahlhaus x 3

Good stats for once. Nice work. Keep it up. Proud of you.

Barrett will wet his pants with excitement if Boyd plays twos all year.

He'll giggle like a school girl. I said it before, but he's the type that yells 'fight, fight, fight' then when confronted, he runs the other way.

Yeah Barrett is the kind of guy who will love laying the boots into a kid with a documented history of clinical depression. Absolute scum.

Pretty happy with that outing. Liked what I saw. I do however categorically disagree with our coaches on the positioning of some of our players but we'll see how it goes.
Yeah I'm not convinced by Wood forward but the other positional changes could work.
If we want a defensive forward I'm not sure robbing the backline of Wood's intercept capability is the best way to do it.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. I said our depth is maybe the 3rd best. Not our list. Our list is basically middle of the pack. For instance, Geelong has a supreme top end of their list. And then it falls away very sharply.

I disagree Port has better depth. Hawks don’t. Essendon don’t. Tigers maybe. GWS used to but now I’m not so sure.

I’d count our depth closer to bottom 3 than top 3

I think they were always going to do it in fact Wood played forward last year against the Gold Coast in Cairns and looked promising but needs more time to adjust. If Naughton wasnt there then Lewis Young probably would have done the same role.

Just watched the replay again and was a pretty good game to watch between two teams I now believe will struggle to make the 8. 8-13 bracket for mine

Positives-

Bont
Naughton
Crozier
Dunkley
Work rate from mids better
Some 2016 style link up
Intensity was up at times

Negatives

Experimenting positions again
Forward line looks unconvincing and unstable
Depth is a real issue

Didn't think Libba or Adams were positives MD? Trengove and his versatility?

Garry Lyon immediately hosed any idea of us making the eight when asked. All for differing opinions but he has had it in for us for years, ever since he was given the keys at Melbourne and drove them into the ground.
yeah its pretty funny as he was pumping up the Hawks last week

I’d count our depth closer to bottom 3 than top 3

The word depth can be looked at different ways - You are looking at raw quality - other seems to be looking and judging depth purely on how close the players out of the side are to come into the side. People like to think that because there isn't much between players 15-40 on list means we have depth. That is one way to look at it. But because there isn't much between the 23-40 and the 15-22 in the side they consider it depth

I would say our list bats deep in the way of players who can contribute, but I dont necessarily think those players are that high in quality.
Id say we would be top 5 most even lists in the comp. That is why we have coped pretty well when losing key personal.

But I think there is are big talent holes in our list - We dont have a top 8 side list on talent IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back