Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's still this unsuccesful by round 3 the experiment has to end in the ones. Far too risky down there and we have options in Willo & O'shea who look like they know what they're doing waiting in the wings

Byrne isn't an experiment, any more than Williamson or Plowman.
Look, we've got the one game out of the way and unfortunately it's going to take several more games before fluency comes into play.

1. We played 4 new players last night.
2. We're mostly a very young team with many not having even played the 20 games.
On top of that we have a very new game plan that will take some time to work into.

Most importantly, we didn't drop our heads even when it may have been easy to do so.
Wouldn't want to lose Cripps though.

Agree with most points here....watching at home in Perth it seemed 10-15 minutes in the last.. mistake riddled and some pretty lame tackling attempts was the difference...if we are only 4 goals off last years premiers with two down with a drastically improved attacking style I'd take that in a heart beat compared to the last few years....was a few running on the spot in the last but same with the Tiges I'd guess you'd expect that in round one...defence held up well with the exception of those few coast to coast they got in the last.. Marchbank was awesome..Jonesy did some frustrating things ...didn't agree with bringing Kruze back on thought Levi did well in the ruck although one effort is forgetful..guess they thought we needed some one tall down forward....thought the mids did well Cripps unbelievable dare I say it.Judd like...Fisher brilliant and looks dangerous whenever he's near the ball...Ed was terrific...missed Kennedy when he went down..SPS and Murph good early on but not so much after half time

Agree with most points here....watching at home in Perth it seemed 10-15 minutes in the last.. mistake riddled and some pretty lame tackling attempts was the difference...if we are only 4 goals off last years premiers with two down with a drastically improved attacking style I'd take that in a heart beat compared to the last few years....was a few running on the spot in the last but same with the Tiges I'd guess you'd expect that in round one...defence held up well with the exception of those few coast to coast they got in the last.. Marchbank was awesome..Jonesy did some frustrating things ...didn't agree with bringing Kruze back on thought Levi did well in the ruck although one effort is forgetful..guess they thought we needed some one tall down forward....thought the mids did well Cripps unbelievable dare I say it.Judd like...Fisher brilliant and looks dangerous whenever he's near the ball...Ed was terrific...missed Kennedy when he went down..SPS and Murph good early on but not so much after half time

And there you have it. When all is said and down, that one statement summed up my feelings.

the morning after and the loss still stings...my lack of mongrel meter is flashing bright red warning alarm about too many players ...very happy top see Kennedy looking VERY dirty at game from sidelines - clearly totally pizzed at being unable to play on....

1. Even the post match journo questions picked up on the fact that Carlton was down 2 rotations for more than half the game. Interesting Bolton was emphatic that there are no excuses. I agree- side needs more mongrel smarts. In this context, Dow played like he was two meters too slow every time he was anywhere near the ball, - fumbled too often and looked like a first gamer...I was hoping he might have an awesome first game...

2. The third quarter saw a lot of very average handball attempts in our defensive 50 or around there - and a complete absence of spreading forwards for a long kick. The repeat entries from Richmond followed and so did the score - when in doubt and no easy options...kick the ball to space 60 meters down field FFS!!!

3. Tiredness is no excuse for lack of accountability - how many times were Richmond players allowed to sneak behind, into uncontested mark territory and score easy goals in 3rd and 4th quarters?

4. Hidden in the loss were 2 X 5 goal efforts from Charlie and Matty Wright (smile on dial face)

5. Disturbed to see Weitering on the bench with towel over his head, didn't like watching how many times he went the soft option of trying to punch when he was in position to go for a mark.... if Marchbank (who was pretty good) is going to play the defensive wing role - Weitering has to apply some hurt to opposition marking forwards, Byrne also has to learn to stick tackles when they matter and Jones has to learn that you don't have to jump ten feet over your opponent every time to apply a stop - I don't have great expectations of players like Lamb/Murphy/Mullett - but at least they should be able to play their roles without disadvantaging the side with basic skill errors and hospital passes.

I do have great expectations of Fisher/SPS/SOJ/Garlett- they all need to appear more often when the pressure is on - SOJ played a shocker last night totally ineffectual.

So all these 'criticisms' but the team did ok against 'The Premiers'...again..take Martin out for their side and we probably win with or without Kennedy/Kreuzer going off...

Proof of progress will be how the side plays against more ordinary opposition - next week will be telling and I suspect Bolton will be making sure every player understands that mongrel is not an option.

Fingers crossed Kennedy/Kreuzer/Lang and Williamson are good to go and Cuningham understands he has a huge opportunity right now - not next year. i expect to see some changes.

The frustration with the umpires is Kennedy pinged twice without prior opportunities to dispose but to rub salt in to the would Rance is sitting on his back, then Rance drops the ball when Silvagni tackles him play on, then Rance got a cheap in the back which infuriated sosos. Then you have vlaustin 10m out from our goal had prior then kicks it through for a “rushed” behind although he had plenty of prior and it’s play on. All we ask for is consistency

I guarantee Sosos will be 1st picked behind Cripps, he had a job on Rance and I thought he played it to perfection. Rance had not a lot of influence on the game

Byrne isn't an experiment, any more than Williamson or Plowman.
Yes he is. Those kids have 5-10 years in elite AFL development systems through underage TAC cup and then on AFL lists. It only takes 10 seconds watching the 3 of them to pick out which one looks lost out there. Byrne is a speculative pick that works far less often than a kid from a TAC cup background. I don't think the speculative tattslotto ticket type player should just be given games for the sake of it

Weitering means our defence is top heavy. With the trend to smaller forward lines i think we would be far better with an extra runner in defence.

He needs to find more run, his lack of leg speed is a major concern. His ideal role would be similar to Marchbank but Marchbank is a far better player at this stage.

People writing off Weitering need to relax.
He's 20YO, has played 20 games. He's allowed to have an off night.
Richmond forward line is all small's with pace, it didnt suit him. He's still learning and will get better.
Cant wait to next week when he's best on and all the haters will be saying he's the CHB of his generation.

Yes he is. Those kids have 5-10 years in elite AFL development systems through underage TAC cup and then on AFL lists. It only takes 10 seconds watching the 3 of them to pick out which one looks lost out there. Byrne is a speculative pick that works far less often than a kid from a TAC cup background. I don't think the speculative tattslotto ticket type player should just be given games for the sake of it

He's playing AFL football at the premium level, as are several other Irish players____Tuohy included.
They weren't concocted in a laboratory, but have been 'hand-picked' and given time to develop in the AFL environment, given their skill-sets.

Every pick is somewhat speculative if you want to put it that way and Mullett may have had the better game last night, but he's not the better player___Not in my eyes, anyway.

I
Richmond forward line is all small's with pace, it didnt suit him. He's still learning and will get better.
Cant wait to next week when he's best on and all the haters will be saying he's the CHB of his generation.
I think he just needs to show a bit more heart he looks like he just goes through the motions, he needs to get some hardness drilled in to him he is a beast of a kid

Having an off night is one thing. Displaying a lack of intensity is somewhat forgivable. But sulking when things don't go his way... not okay. He should play in the 1's, but a stint in the 2's as punishment for his attitude is warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getting Charlie Curnow at pick 12 is becoming more and more like the biggest steal of that draft
I'll go back to some of my earlier posts. I was at the draft combine. I also had Curnow as the clear no.1 pick. Unbelievable we got him where we did. Last night showed a little of his potential. O. M. G. He's just awesome. He'll have his ups and downs. But his ceiling is enormous.

He's played 43 games, not 20.

His lack of aggression and leadership is what frustrates us. We all know he has the talent, and the smarts to be a great player, imagine if he had Jones' desperation.

Let's face reality weitering and silvagni won't make it. Yes they may have good games against average sides but are not the future against the best.
Casboult is the worst key forward to play more than 50 games at carlton. Play youth upforward, nothing to lose.
The 2015 draft year is not looking as good as it once did. Question marks over weitering, silvagni and Mckay cunningham are not being selected
Wat?

From one game, where we played against the premier from 2017, where we suffered in game injuries and took it right up to them and only lost due to running out of legs late because of, as previously mentioned, injuries, you have written off the entire 2015 draft class?

I'm not sure rolling my eyes is adequate here.

Weitering was bottom age when drafted, as was Williamson, as was McKay. If Jack kicks a bag of 4 next match, he's gone at a goal a match since for his first 30 matches, despite playing in the worst forward line in the AFL for the first two years of his career. And, FINALLY, if you weren't aware of it, talls take longer. McKay has had a mixture of turf toe and back injuries - due to still bloody growing, as is wont to happen when you draft someone who's 17 - and is playing his first season in full this year, injury permitting.

We all know there's a chance that some of them may not make it. How about waiting for them to actually fail before bemoaning it first, hmm?

Weitering suffered a bit with the speed, numberof I50 entries and better delivery by Richmond as the game progressed due to our midfield tiring after losing Kennedy and Kreuzer.

Byrne needs a few more games, but I suspect he did not have many options to give it off and so was hesitant and ran into trouble. Would like to see both Willa and Byrne in the backline, and see if Byrne’s ball use / decision making improves.

Murphy I understand from some posters in the match day thread / post-mortem thread was restrained behind play and the umpires missed it.

Jack SOS I understand was playing defensive forward on Rance but again suffered from the worse output from our tiring midfield.

Dow will be better for the run and certainly was harder with Kennedy and Kreuzer down.

Would have loved Pickett out there to get out the back for the one over the top or to run it down the wing to the flank. Look forward to see Garlett, Fisher, Pickett and Wright bamboozle opposition defenders.

So, I am interested when we bring in Cuningham, Williamson, Lang, O’Brien, Polson and McKay, and who we bring them in for, and then again for Pickett some time after the bye ... Kerr might be later in the Season, I gather he was injured for most of the off-season.

Very disappointed in the lack of long sleeves.. I know it was a warm night... but the best advice I ever got was ‘look good, feel good, play good’..... Jacky boy get that longy back on. Long sleeve long career.
Richmond are no good, That was a 10th vs 14th game..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

CarlTonLongSleeve finally somebody who speaks my language. Having been at the game myself I can tell you that he (among others really struggled) was disappointing to see my man daddy pow struggle to keep up with the speed of the game, btw your name sounds familiar did you play for the saints?

Shame Murphy wasn't traded out and Gibbs retained....not a perfect world unfortunately.
Questionable contention.

Would we have gotten 2 first round picks for a 29 year old with injury problems? Would we have damaged the in club culture that's blooming under Bolts by trading away the club captain? Would it have improved our performance any?

Hard not to take such a comment as a troll.

Let's face reality weitering and silvagni won't make it. Yes they may have good games against average sides but are not the future against the best.
Casboult is the worst key forward to play more than 50 games at carlton. Play youth upforward, nothing to lose.
The 2015 draft year is not looking as good as it once did. Question marks over weitering, silvagni and Mckay cunningham are not being selected
I think this is a post I may have written straight after the game, if I crashed my car on the way home, found my wife had left me, my house had been burgled, my bank account hacked and that there was a message on voicemail to say I had been sacked from my job.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, because I appreciate your view. It just might be a little tainted with the glass half empty thingy. Its important we isolate this performance and acknowledge that while we aren't big fans of Bichmond, they won last years flag on the back of superior work rate and forward half pressure. They showed up everyone last year with a different approach. They don't use the same template.

Weitering struggled because our back line was too tall for the opposition, and Marchbank, with Jones, were zoning off their man. This game didn't play to his strengths but our defence held up admirably when you look at how many i50's they had compared to us. First game of the season. Weitering isn't our problem. If there is a problem, its our wealth of tall defensive stocks. Our match committee will have some tough calls to make week by week and we have more depth than I can really ever remember.

Silvagni may not make it but he was a late pick. Do you think he's holding someone else out? because I'm not sure if there is someone right now who has convinced me that they'd be better in that role. If you played McKay instead, we'd be too tall. You could maybe play DC but I'm not sure he's the right fit. It could be a spot for a resting midfielder to give us some more run and midfield rotation? What are your thoughts on that?

I still have faith in McKay and even more in DC. I really like that burst he has developed, in traffic. His disposal is reliable but he does need to find the pill more often. He has time.

I was only disappointed after the game because I realised just how close we were and how, if things turned a little different, the result could have gone our way. What stands out to me, is the number of opposition posters who have taken the time to pay their respect. Everyone is taking notice and I couldn't be more excited to see how the next 4 weeks go.

CarlTonLongSleeve finally somebody who speaks my language. Having been at the game myself I can tell you that he (among others really struggled) was disappointing to see my man daddy pow struggle to keep up with the speed of the game, btw your name sounds familiar did you play for the saints?

Goody Saints? No. No.
Don’t worry about Dappy Pow! He’s a good ole Pioneer boy, get a few more games under his belt and he’ll be taking Prisoners Of War (Pow) in no time!! Every game he plays in AFL he’ll learn something new. Keep him in.
How was the atmosphere DaddyPow?

Matthew Wright-meat and potatoes, nothing flash but just delivers, football brain, use of the body, beautiful kick, really impressed me last night.
Would gladly recruit another couple of meat and potato players like Wrighty. 5 goals. Leading goalkicker 2016, 2nd in 2017? - not enough love. Gets the job done. Impressed me too. Smart player who gets the best out of himself.

He's playing AFL football at the premium level, as are several other Irish players____Tuohy included.
They weren't concocted in a laboratory, but have been 'hand-picked' and given time to develop in the AFL environment, given their skill-sets.

Every pick is somewhat speculative if you want to put it that way and Mullett may have had the better game last night, but he's not the better player___Not in my eyes, anyway.
I'm all for the experiment with them being a free pick up. But they shouldn't be handed games for the sake of it to the detriment of the team, well at least not anymore since we aren't a bottom 2 side. He is going to have more bad games than good games which isn't the case for Plowman, Mullett, Willo & obviously Simpson. We could afford to probably even go in with just 3 of those 4 and play an extra midfielder in Cunningham who is probably just as advanced as Byrne and in a much more needed position for us

Questionable contention.

Would we have gotten 2 first round picks for a 29 year old with injury problems? Would we have damaged the in club culture that's blooming under Bolts by trading away the club captain? Would it have improved our performance any?

Hard not to take such a comment as a troll.
Troll ? Its an opinion mate which is what Bigfooty is all about. It was never going to happen for lots of reasons but in my opinion in a perfect world i'd rather have kept Gibbs and traded Murphy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back