Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

People writing off Weitering need to relax.
He's 20YO, has played 20 games. He's allowed to have an off night.
Richmond forward line is all small's with pace, it didnt suit him. He's still learning and will get better.
Cant wait to next week when he's best on and all the haters will be saying he's the CHB of his generation.

I don't get why the criticism from last night is on Weitering and not Jones.

So many time Jones gambled, got caught out of position, and left his fellow defenders in a bad situation. Often that's where Weitering looks slow or out of position, but I thought he generally played a solid defensive game with 1-2 errors. Jones, by contrast, had basically identical stats to Weitering, and probably cost us 3-4 goals. Yet Weitering is aparently a bust, yet the 27 yo Jones gets a free pass?

Sure, a solid defensive game isn't what we want from a #1 pick, and Weitering over Clayton Oliver looks pretty bad atm, but that said it was a game that didn't suit him, with the team playing a new style that got picked apart at times, and he's only 20 years old, so the cards were stacked against him a bit.

Questionable contention.

Would we have gotten 2 first round picks for a 29 year old with injury problems? Would we have damaged the in club culture that's blooming under Bolts by trading away the club captain? Would it have improved our performance any?

Hard not to take such a comment as a troll.

Games like last night is when you need your Captain to step up ..not fumble and bumble sideways to nowhere. I am just over watching him flop over like a little puppet doll - begging for frees nowhere near the ball or a contest or watching him demand football only to see him offload a hospital pass to a team mate under extreme pressure, or watch him pretend to chase after a soft attempt at tackle or carefully orchestrated avoidance of contact...

No doubt in my mind Docherty would have been Captain this year if he was playing. Watching blokes like Cripps and Simpson step up and go to the next level when the pressure is on and the game in the balance is a privilege and makes you proud to follow Carlton - every Carlton player was held, blocked scragged pushed at every opportunity - that is what 'pressure football' is - make your opponent know you are there ..Murphy has no excuses for being irrelevant last night - none.

Sadly I think Murphy is done as a midfielder. He is not as quick as he once was and his tackling is woeful (always has been).

He should be moved to a half forward flank role with occasional stints on ball. Cripps, SPS, Kennedy and Kreuzer should be our opening bounce midfield

This made me laugh. I love it. Not sure of its context but have a 50m penalty.
Seriously mate. You've got to wonder about the smarts of your boys when they give away so many 50's... 1st might have been a surprise, 2nd should have confirmed for them that the umpires were going to pay it every time... 3rd you're a moron... 4th you're a moron... 5th you're a moron...

Sadly I think Murphy is done as a midfielder. He is not as quick as he once was and his tackling is woeful (always has been).

He should be moved to a half forward flank role with occasional stints on ball. Cripps, SPS, Kennedy and Kreuzer should be our opening bounce midfield
Agreed. He's too little too.

Lack of experience and poise, and lack of fit players probably cost us a victory last night. Kreuzer's injury was a cruel blow at such an important time. Kennedy's loss was a huge blow. Make no mistake that was equivalent to a final last night. Crowd, pressure it had it all.
Cripps and Curnow were brilliant. Simpson seems to have found the fountain of youth. Whatever it is i want 10 litres of it please. Wright continues to do his job and kick goals.
Casboult: I feel for him. Out in front, and the ball is kicked over his head. Why they cannot simply kick in front of him (like Dusty did late in the game) and let him run onto it beggars belief. Last night again highlighted that he is not a ruckman and his game is one dimensional.
Silvagni: Was all at sea last night and needs to develop another role or he could find himself in trouble in a few years.
Garlett: Moments of brilliance, but overall probably out of his depth on the night. Will be a good player if he continues to work hard and learn.

Marks inside 50: 8-Clearly an area where we have to improve. (Richmond 19)
Tackles: 49 (Richmond 70)-

The game against Gold Coast next week will be the big test. We should win, and frankly expect to win, and win well. Let's see how the lads back up.

Casboult rucked very well last night when he had go into the ruck wjhen Kreuzer went down. 19 hitouts, many to advantage, and got himself back into the game after an awful first half. Looked so much better when he went onto the ball. After watching the JLT games and last night it's the first time I felt he could take the mantle as first ruck if it was ever needed.

Those 50s were all there & caused by laziness on the part of some of the Tiggies players. They were taking shortcuts through the 10m exclusion zone to get to the next contest or to pick up a man. The fact that it happened 5 times showed a lack of discipline by the Tiggies, because you would normally get the message after 1 or 2 indiscretions.

I had a Richmond supporter come up to me this morning saying those free kicks were a joke, and even went as far as to say the umpires were favouring us throughout the night. FMD!

Can't be too unhappy with that - the result didn't go our way, but we fought it out and showed plenty along the way.

Cripps, Simpson, Charlie all sensational.
Fisher, Garlett, Marchbank, Thomas, Wright all very good.

Disappointing to lose Kennedy early and then Kreuzer - hope both are good to go next weekend vs the Suns. Both will be very important players for us this year.

Backline thoughts:
Marchbank looked fantastic.
Weiters had a lousy night.
Jones struggled for a match up - I think the Tiges are his worst match-up side, he'll do better in a simpler role against bigger opponents.
Byrne not up to the pace last night, looked slow and indecisive. Worth persisting for a while.
Liked Mullet as rebounder.
Simmo is a club great.

Midfield thoughts:
Cripps was massive. Could not ask for more.
Fisher looked GREAT! Genuine speed, precision.
SPS started well, went missing for 40 mins, but second year, no worries.
Kennedy had nightmare first game. Hope injury isn't serious.
Dow had rough first game, but better for the experience.
Ed was Ed (good)
Murphy subdued, but no drama.

Forward thoughts:
Curnow. Get on.
Silvagni was poor. To my eyes he lacks weapons - he's not overly quick, overly strong, overly skillful. A few performances like that in a row and he'll be int he magoos.
Wright is just so clever. Having a tremendous second half of his career.
Ball spring-boarded out of our forward line, lack of speed, pressure, numbers around ball.
I don't understand what Jed Lamb's role is, or why he's playing.

Overall, probably went somewhat to script. Glad we weren't embarrassed. Losing felt inevitable all night, but we were still in it 8 minutes into the last so that's progress.

Games like last night is when you need your Captain to step up ..not fumble and bumble sideways to nowhere. I am just over watching him flop over like a little puppet doll - begging for frees nowhere near the ball or a contest or watching him demand football only to see him offload a hospital pass to a team mate under extreme pressure, or watch him pretend to chase after a soft attempt at tackle or carefully orchestrated avoidance of contact...

No doubt in my mind Docherty would have been Captain this year if he was playing. Watching blokes like Cripps and Simpson step up and go to the next level when the pressure is on and the game in the balance is a privilege and makes you proud to follow Carlton - every Carlton player was held, blocked scragged pushed at every opportunity - that is what 'pressure football' is - make your opponent know you are there ..Murphy has no excuses for being irrelevant last night - none.
Didn't say that. Responded to the absurdity that we should've traded Murphy instead of Gibbs, as though they're the same player and have the same value.

Murphy will be at his most value to us onfield when he is surplus to requirements rather than blatantly necessary. If he's the cream, the opposition is in trouble; that he's spent a career with us being absolutely required is a blight on our recruiting and the rest of the midfields he's served with.

Was far from the worst afield last night.

I understand Weitering had a stinker but putting a line through a 20 year old key defender is ridiculous.
I remember Harry Taylor and Alex Rance dominating as 20 year olds........ahhhh that's right Rance was a battler early and Taylor wasn't even drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casboult rucked very well last night when he had go into the ruck wjhen Kreuzer went down. 19 hitouts, many to advantage, and got himself back into the game after an awful first half. Looked so much better when he went onto the ball. After watching the JLT games and last night it's the first time I felt he could take the mantle as first ruck if it was ever needed.
He's definately improved his ruckwork cas . Will be interesting if Kruez doesnt get up for the next match . Do we go with Cas in the ruck and bring in Harry or bring Lobbe (which he was recruited for as backup) or Phillips in ? .

Troll ? Its an opinion mate which is what Bigfooty is all about. It was never going to happen for lots of reasons but in my opinion in a perfect world i'd rather have kept Gibbs and traded Murphy.
My first reaction was wondering if your post was a legitimate post and not a byproduct of frustration or just a troll. If it wasn't, then I apologise.

As for your contention, sure. Was never going to happen, so I don't see the point in pondering it overmuch, and there's too much water to go under the bridge before we can say unequivocally that Gibbs' next few years will be of more value to Adelaide than Murph's will be to us, or that in a hypothetical trade to any other club Murph's last few years would be better/worse than Gibb's would be if we retained him instead.

May as well debate the Yellowstone supervolcano if we're into pie in the sky hypotheticals.

Didn't say that. Responded to the absurdity that we should've traded Murphy instead of Gibbs, as though they're the same player and have the same value.

Murphy will be at his most value to us onfield when he is surplus to requirements rather than blatantly necessary. If he's the cream, the opposition is in trouble; that he's spent a career with us being absolutely required is a blight on our recruiting and the rest of the midfields he's served with.

Was far from the worst afield last night.

Agree the question Gibbs V Murphy is a red herring...but

meh , I am over him...My commentary sounds harsh I know - but Captains have to have mongrel - when the pressure is on kids need to be told what to do - firmly.

I thought we could have won it last night with just a bit more hard nosed leadership - especially when the side was faffing around with silly hand passes in the 3rd quarter allowing Richmond to structure up...someone has to be able to see the bigger picture on field - and remind the young ones what to do and by pulling players with them...

blah blah blah

I was going to make a call last week and decided to delete my post, but now I think it may sound a little less ridiculous..

I think Casboult should be our first ruck, McKay up forward and would prefer no Kruezer.

We look a more mobile, flexible team with Casboult rucking and no Kruezer on the field. What we lose in Kruezers link up play around the middle we gain in Casboult's contested marking around the ground. Aerially we don't lose much at all by not having Kruezer on the ground.

McKay is far more mobile on the deck than Kruezer also and should be capable as a second ruck

If we play multiple talls, I have no problem with this, but all talls must either be agile, flexible or a constant marking threat. Kruezer is none of these things.

No, we can play Cunners or Lang. Or both. And I’d play Polson and LOB before those two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm as guilty as anyone who keeps forgetting about Polson. Think he could be a serious steal if he can get his body right.

Agree the question Gibbs V Murphy is a red herring...but

meh , I am over him...My commentary sounds harsh I know - but Captains have to have mongrel - when the pressure is on kids need to be told what to do - firmly.

I thought we could have won it last night with just a bit more hard nosed leadership - especially when the side was faffing around with silly hand passes in the 3rd quarter allowing Richmond to structure up...someone has to be able to see the bigger picture on field - and remind the young ones what to do and by pulling players with them...

blah blah blah
I'm a bit over this particular chat too, JAB. It seems that, every time Murph isn't the best afield, a whole host of people jump online to have a crack, as though they could do a better job. On one hand, I'm sick of responding to it, but if I see nothing combating a point of view I disagree with, then I've got to respond.

Just a bit sick of people wishing Murphy was Joel Selwood. We've got our next captain - who could very well have been captain this year, but for his ACL - learning the coaching caper on the sidelines while he recovers; he'll go alright when it's his turn.

Bet you, though, that there'll be plenty happy to criticise him if he has a s**t game or two as captain.

Firstly, I wanted you guys to win last night. (I have a soft spot for the Blues)
At 1/2 time I was thinking Weitering to forward line (he was stinking up my fantasy team) & Casboult out next week,
but I suppose I was being selfish.
Then after 1/2 time, I liked Casboult's work, so I suppose I was a bit premature (not the 1st time)

Finally, Cripps for Brownlow!!!! I have a serious man crush on him

All the best for the rest of season (except against us of course) :thumbsu:

I'm a bit over this particular chat too, JAB. It seems that, every time Murph isn't the best afield, a whole host of people jump online to have a crack, as though they could do a better job. On one hand, I'm sick of responding to it, but if I see nothing combating a point of view I disagree with, then I've got to respond.

Just a bit sick of people wishing Murphy was Joel Selwood. We've got our next captain - who could very well have been captain this year, but for his ACL - learning the coaching caper on the sidelines while he recovers; he'll go alright when it's his turn.

Bet you, though, that there'll be plenty happy to criticise him if he has a s**t game or two as captain.

Agreed.

Will be the last time I mention him this year in the negative - because as I said i am over him and his performances can't be lower than my expectations going forward.

He's definately improved his ruckwork cas . Will be interesting if Kruez doesnt get up for the next match . Do we go with Cas in the ruck and bring in Harry or bring Lobbe (which he was recruited for as backup) or Phillips in ? .

If Kreuzer doesn't get up go with Casboult and bring in McKay. Levi will do alot more around the ground than our other ruckmen. Without putting down the opposition too much the Gold Coast would be a good game to bring Harry in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back