Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Weitering considered slow in his draft year? Or was this pointed out as a specific weakness? All I can remember was him being fawned over, with hardly a weakness mentioned.

Can we turn him into peak Jarryd Roughead? A giant inside mid/KPP that roams all over the ground and gets 20+ as well as kicking bags.
Dont know how he was assessed speedwise coming out of junior footy but id think not unless we are a dominant team where he can link in seamlessly . Roughead is again quite agile and i would say much quicker than Weitering . And considering the makeup of our current midfield id think not again . JMO .

Dont know how he was assessed speedwise coming out of junior footy but id think not unless we are a dominant team where he can link in seamlessly . Roughead is again quite agile and i would say much quicker than Weitering . And considering the makeup of our current midfield id think not again . JMO .

And that's the beauty of this place, all opinions are welcome :thumbsu:

Extremely skilled footballer, clean below his knees, doesn't fumble, set shots were dead straight.

Lacked intensity as the game wore on, as expected for 1st game in ages.

Looks like bargain, head is in the right place and has all the tools.

Weiters need to be better, needs to display greater desperation and keep his posture upright despite what happens in the contest.

Issue needs to be ironed out now.

No issues with players having bad games every so often, not when intensity is severely lacking though.

He looked like the franchise player the previous game against the Hawks. Maybe Jroo unsettled him, something to work on.

3.04s in the 20m sprint apparently.

Seems decent for a key defender.

I could write an essay on this. Firstly not an umpire and never have been. To blame the umpires for making some incorrect calls is ludicrous. The vagaries of the rules makes it impossible to have consistency.

As it stands, it is the most difficult game to adjudicate, as most rules are not black and white.
We are arguing the same point, mostly. Some rules are subjective and should be changed to make the game more easily adjudicated. I agree that it would be very difficult to umpire. But can't we expect better standards?

The original poster was willing to blame a player (Daisy) for being penalised for legally handballing (because they thought it looked like a throw) but if I blame the umpire for making a mistake, its ludicrous? One would also need to level that criticism at the AFL who released a memo to the Clubs conceding they had made umpiring errors that resulted us in getting 3 goals. There were obviously other mistakes that weren't addressed but I'm not out to discuss every error, or to point fingers and/or blame. I just don't understand why its so taboo to expect high standards from umpiring officials, as I do from all members of our club, and the AFL at large. By talking about it more openly, we create that discussion that leads to a better system for all teams, and umpires?

Last edited:
I think Parkin said you need six bonafide AA players in your starting 22. Are we getting there?we have to be close now

- Cripps
- Docherty
- Curnow
- Marchbank
- SPS?
- Dow?
- Kreuzer? Yes I think so
- Weitering?

My grave concern is still the forward line - happy to see Charlie bursting out but he needs support

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with the dot-painting on the boots, I want more of an output from him, that's all.

Lamb is the same, he wears those fluoro orange boots which glow in the dark, if you don't want to be in the spotlight, then don't wear them.
funny pisstake, Effendi.....

This is exactly it. They make mistakes and it effects the game. I yell at the t.v., the missus yells at me. I'm left wondering how the game may have panned out if Reiwoldt didn't get that free kick, and we kicked 7 in a row....etc etc., or if we would really have lost by 50 points if they didn't pay the dodgy 50 metre penalties. This game was error ridden and both sides were effected. Free kicks that result in goals, that break a teams momentum, are even more damning. When the AFL is striving to make the teams as equal as possible, it takes even less to effect the outcome of a game. The more open we are about umpiring errors, the more willing we will be to explore and implement solutions that will lead to a more precise and legitimate game.
Give it a rest you raised some good points but now you are banging on. The umpires try their best, they are not professionals although they should be. You should try an umpire this great game that comes at you from 360 degrees. Sometimes they go against you and have done for 150 years! Remember we all make mistakes.

I think Parkin said you need six bonafide AA players in your starting 22. Are we getting there?we have to be close now

- Cripps
- Docherty
- Curnow
- Marchbank
- SPS?
- Dow?
- Kreuzer? Yes I think so
- Weitering?

My grave concern is still the forward line - happy to see Charlie bursting out but he needs support

Did you miss the Weitering is rubbish posts ;)

Fancy that, bagging a 20yr old with only 43 games under his belt.

Give it a rest you raised some good points but now you are banging on. The umpires try their best, they are not professionals although they should be. You should try an umpire this great game that comes at you from 360 degrees. Sometimes they go against you and have done for 150 years! Remember we all make mistakes.
I was just having fun responding to a post on our forum, not banging on.

I thought Jones was OK. Did a lot of good things that didn't go noticed and in regards to going to ground?
One may argue he attacks the player too hard and fast, but what's the alternative? More corralling?

The JLT showed up quite a few things and in particular from our back-men.
It was clear that Marchbank and Byrne had been given licence to run and carry the ball.
Did you notice how many time Jones kicked on his left when maybe he didn't have to, including a kick that led to a turn-over and goal?

Several players are now re-inventing themselves and then there's the group learning the more attacking game-play.
No doubt we'll all wait a little longer before making any hard calls, although there were a couple of worrying carry-over moments.

I am not for one second complaining about our boys taking the game on and making mistakes.

My criticism of Jones is a small one but one I have noticed now a few times. Keeping your feet is a very early football lesson and for Liam hopefully he just gets better at sticking the tackles or impacting the contest before going to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Kruezer, I'm only knocking him because of the situation our team is in. We have too many talls right now, I felt in the JLT that the balance was right when Kruezer went off, I felt the same way again last night. The hit-out stats for Casboult merely quantifies why it's not the worst idea.

Levi has shown himself to relish the opportunity to shoulder the ruck duties and if that form holds our team balance looks better.

I felt more confident when Casboult was rucking against nank and then I read that Casboult is taller and heavier than Kruezer, so it makes sense.
Kreuzer 200cm, 101kg
Casboult 201cm, 103kg

Huge difference there mate... absolutely massive.

Just FYI... Nankervis 199cm, 102kg

Yeah/nah, you sound a little one eyed on this, like you are/were an umpire?
Umpire blaming for this game doesn't, objectively, give us the win. The 50's weren't just soft. Some of them were incorrect and the AFL released a memo confirming this. We got 7 goals from free kicks, and Dimma mentioned Free Kicks in his presser. They felt obliged to respond. So, you are right, we didn't lose because of the umpires.

But, since I don't get fined for speaking adversely about umpires, I'm gonna call you out. Why is it inappropriate to expect the same high standards from our umpires, as we expect from our players, coaches and staff? They (umpires) make mistakes and they need to get better. The AFL memo acknowledged that. Sweeping it under the carpet isn't going to improve AFL games which is why they feel more comfortable discussing errors than they used to.

Telling anyone that an umpiring error is a players fault is unusual at best. How can it be Daisy's fault because a legal disposal looked like a throw? It's either a throw, or not. It doesn't matter what it looks like. The umpire got the decision wrong. It doesn't matter if Daisy was under pressure, or had a bad 5 minutes. I just don't think it should be so shameful for any of us to acknowledge they make mistakes, as long as its with a view to the standards improving. Game outcomes have, and will continue to be affected by errors in umpiring. And while clubs will continue to improve and push the boundaries of the rules of the game, so must the umpires improve to ensure our game is adjudicated within those rules as consistently and as fairly as is humanely possible.

I whole heartedly agree with the rest of your post though. The ins and outs negate each other and overall, we are progressing well.
You've missed the mark by an incredibly wide margin here. Never been an umpire and never will be. Played sport at a high level however, and blaming the umpire is not part of a performance mindset.

I think you're a bit confused here as well, as you say I'm one eyed, yet I clearly state the 50's were poor, as well as the holding the ball calls. My post is clearly about blaming umpires/saying they're favouring one team over the other, not ignoring their mistakes. Richmond fan next to me yelled out that the umps were sleeping with our players' mums when every decision went against them, sometimes on here it's not that far away from that.

I cannot watch a neutral game without witnessing a run of umpiring decisions changing the flow and the result of the game, they without doubt influence every game and in many cases decide games.

They need to get better and stop having so much of an effect on results, scrap half the double rules that mean a free can be paid both ways and piss off this genuine attempt rubbish and just go back to prior opportunity.

We are arguing the same point, mostly. Some rules are subjective and should be changed to make the game more easily adjudicated. I agree that it would be very difficult to umpire. But can't we expect better standards?

You are willing to blame a player (Daisy) for being penalised for legally handballing (because you thought it looked like a throw) but if I blame the umpire for making a mistake, its ludicrous? You would also need to level that criticism at the AFL who released a memo to the Clubs conceding they had made umpiring errors that resulted us in getting 3 goals. There were obviously other mistakes that weren't addressed but I'm not out to discuss every error, or to point fingers and/or blame. I just don't understand why its so taboo to expect high standards from umpiring officials, as I do from all members of our club, and the AFL at large. By talking about it more openly, we create that discussion that leads to a better system for all teams, and umpires?

Okay a simple example, these are the rules on prior opportunity

• 15.2.3 (a): Prior opportunity – where the field umpire is satisfied that a player in possession of the football has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football [between taking possession of the ball and being correctly tackled], the field umpire shall award a free kick against that player if the player does not kick or handball the football immediately when they are correctly tackled
  • 15.2.3 (b): No prior opportunity – where the field umpire is satisfied that a player in possession of the football has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football [between taking possession of the ball and being correctly tackled], the field umpire shall award a free kick against that player if, upon being correctly tackled, the player does not correctly dispose or genuinely attempt to correctly dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.
So consider this, nowhere does it mention/state:

• Amount of time, 1 2 3 4 or 5 seconds?
  • Amount of steps 1 2 3 4 or 5 steps?
  • Tackle that holds no, 1 or 2 arms?
  • Tackle that does or doesn't knock the ball out?
  • Tackled player swung, 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees?

How will there ever be consistency in the decision making of any 2 umpires, let alone asking them to lift their standard to a higher level.

Unless these laws are amended, not changed, to become crystal clear, you will always have huge discrepancies in interpretations.

Nothing to do with the umpire

Okay a simple example, these are the rules on prior opportunity

• 15.2.3 (a): Prior opportunity – where the field umpire is satisfied that a player in possession of the football has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football [between taking possession of the ball and being correctly tackled], the field umpire shall award a free kick against that player if the player does not kick or handball the football immediately when they are correctly tackled
  • 15.2.3 (b): No prior opportunity – where the field umpire is satisfied that a player in possession of the football has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football [between taking possession of the ball and being correctly tackled], the field umpire shall award a free kick against that player if, upon being correctly tackled, the player does not correctly dispose or genuinely attempt to correctly dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.
So consider this, nowhere does it mention/state:

• Amount of time, 1 2 3 4 or 5 seconds?
  • Amount of steps 1 2 3 4 or 5 steps?
  • Tackle that holds no, 1 or 2 arms?
  • Tackle that does or doesn't knock the ball out?
  • Tackled player swung, 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees?

How will there ever be consistency in the decision making of any 2 umpires, let alone asking them to lift their standard to a higher level.

Unless these laws are amended, not changed, to become crystal clear, you will always have huge discrepancies in interpretations.

Nothing to do with the umpire
Marry me.

Have to say....

The Richmond flag being carried around the ground before the game and the Carlton end puts up a massive banner " Not as sweet as 16."

Clever and funny. A lot of the Richmond crowd around me had a good laugh at that. Back to the old days when cheer squads were funny.
These days we're relieved just to have the club name spelt correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back