Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the ground I was initially worried about how he would go,

We were stationed down our defensive end for the first quarter so got a really good look.

Firstly thought he would play loose, but they went with Thompson loose which was realistically the right decision and allowed turbo to just control the structure. This is a massive key to why we broke down last week. Don’t underestimate Tarrant and Thompson holding up their end and allowing us to play daw.

Majak was blowing within five minutes of chasing casboult. We will need to routinely monitor his matchups otherwise he will be blown out of the water.

He played his role well, peeled off when required, and hit straight lines also. Only problem is when there isn’t an immediate option he dishes a handball sideways and puts more pressure on our other defenders.

Overall - think the conditions and ground suited to us playing 7 defenders. When we get a clean Etihad style deck and no breeze and a better opposition look out for the opposition to isolate maj and play through him. Carlton just didn’t have the cattle to do it last night

Once he settles (he is basically a rookie back) His athletic ability will start to worry teams. Melb let him free in q1 last week and they had to change their set up and We didnt have tarrant. He gets to every high ball and has elite spring and speed and can tackle. Not worried about a few marks dropped. He normally takes them. Needs the other 2 ( tarrant and thompson) in and it frees up thompson. Will be great against adelaide gold coast and wce. Just dont want him isolated one on one too much. Thats the weak area but need to persist.

When we get a clean Etihad style deck and no breeze and a better opposition look out for the opposition to isolate maj and play through him. Carlton just didn’t have the cattle to do it last night

And watch us counteract that by having others zone off their opponent who is being ignored by team mates and offer support to Maj. Of course should we be able to pressure their ball carriers and their kicks aren't pinpoint watch out for Maj cracking skulls with the good ol knee to the back of the head, while clunking contested mark after contested mark.

It goes both ways :D

Once he settles (he is basically a rookie back) His athletic ability will start to worry teams. Melb let him free in q1 last week and they had to change their set up and We didnt have tarrant. He gets to every high ball and has elite spring and speed and can tackle. Not worried about a few marks dropped. He normally takes them. Needs the other 2 ( tarrant and thompson) in and it frees up thompson. Will be great against adelaide gold coast and wce. Just dont want him isolated one on one too much. Thats the weak area but need to persist.
That's the upside, his intercept marking and spoiling could become something special. That's a real momentum killer for the opposition and a big lift for the defence. He played on Casboult for a lot of the game and took the points. Casboult only had 2 marks. I thought our defense functioned well last night and will go up a notch when Wright comes back.

I didn't see most of the game as I had a gig last night. The patches I did watch Maj was shocking - two terrible clangers. Really heartened to read most think he had a good game. I will watch the replay later and get a better idea.

Snake, did you like this? but gokangas didn't go to the game, shouldn't he STFU?

Pot Kettle Black

That's the upside, his intercept marking and spoiling could become something special. That's a real momentum killer for the opposition and a big lift for the defence. He played on Casboult for a lot of the game and took the points. Casboult only had 2 marks. I thought our defense functioned well last night and will go up a notch when Wright comes back.

Just on the spoiling, last night Liam Jones had the chance to spoil a kick into the goal square and he punched the ball forwards to the hot spot, 15 metres out from goal directly in front. We scored an easy crumbing goal. Majak faced exactly the same situation and he punched the ball into the 5th row of the cheer squad. Liam Jones was the great revelation in defence last year. On this one example, Maj has gone past him.

Just on the spoiling, last night Liam Jones had the chance to spoil a kick into the goal square and he punched the ball forwards to the hot spot, 15 metres out from goal directly in front. We scored an easy crumbing goal. Majak faced exactly the same situation and he punched the ball into the 5th row of the cheer squad. Liam Jones was the great revelation in defence last year. On this one example, Maj has gone past him.

That passage of play summed up Carlton perfectly.

No Backman ever has any business spoiling a ball to where he did.

Good, bad and ugly all in one match. But I don't think I'd like Maj playing in defence in finals. Still seems to lack footy smarts, and makes costly mistakes.
I think those who are enjoying him playing down back feel the same but we wasted so many years teaching a kid who started playing footy at 16 yrs of age the art of playing as a key forward at AFL level.
He was an experiement.........see player, beat player and help out down back isnt so difficult ie it? He could of played / learned this for years at VFL level. I know its too late but freak me it has me questioning what the freak goes on in these type of pow wow meetings in relation to players development.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Clarkson is smart enough to try and isolate O'Brien deep if Maj gets him

Don't think they'll allow him to just wander around the backline this week. Carlton's forwards were genuine piss

He is starting to remind me of Ross Glendinning, but a little better with his ability to also play in the ruck. He's to football what the Swiss army knife is to utensils. Very ****en handy:D

Lol careful, you might blow Tef's head clean off

Lol careful, you might blow Tef's head clean off

MacMillan registers 2 fumbles 60 metres from goal = He's s**t, get him out of the team.
Daw drops 4 marks and has 5 turnovers on the last line of defence = Majak is starting to influence a lot of contests.

Goldy can take McEvoy one out, with the occasional chop out from Waite. McEvoy = 84% TOG, Goldy = 82% TOG. McEvoy is a fair palm ruckman but his stats were blown out in the game vs Geelong and he only averages 53 metres gained per match. His primary role will be in putting the ball down Mitchell's throat. If Goldstein can negate that then he will do him around the ground.

Hawthorn are probably the LEAST "bomb it forward" side in the competition, so I just don't see how Majak's supposed defensive strength gets a look in at the selection table, and there will only be two Hawthorn marking targets to watch, Roughead & Gunston, who Tarrant & Thommo will cover. We are also going to need composure coming out of defence against Hawthorn and that points to bringing in Wright for Daw.

Ahern possibly for LDU.

MacMillan registers 2 fumbles 60 metres from goal = He's s**t, get him out of the team.
Daw drops 4 marks and has 5 turnovers on the last line of defence = Majak is starting to influence a lot of contests.

Goldy can take McEvoy one out, with the occasional chop out from Waite. McEvoy = 84% TOG, Goldy = 82% TOG. McEvoy is a fair palm ruckman but his stats were blown out in the game vs Geelong and he only averages 53 metres gained per match. His primary role will be in putting the ball down Mitchell's throat. If Goldstein can negate that then he will do him around the ground.

Hawthorn are probably the LEAST "bomb it forward" side in the competition, so I just don't see how Majak's supposed defensive strength gets a look in at the selection table, and there will only be two Hawthorn marking targets to watch, Roughead & Gunston, who Tarrant & Thommo will cover. We are also going to need composure coming out of defence against Hawthorn and that points to bringing in Wright for Daw.

Ahern possibly for LDU.

Genuine question - do you think Majak has brought anything positive to the table in his games vs Melbourne and Carlton?

Genuine question - do you think Majak has brought anything positive to the table in his games vs Melbourne and Carlton?

Yes, in switching up in the ruck.

Defensively, the negatives easily outweigh the positives. A side like Hawthorn will absolutely feast on this.

He is significantly more worthy to the side as a forward/ruckman switch hitter, but can we afford this given the current limitations of our midfield? See, the thing is this, put Majak in the GWS side and he becomes a very dangerous switch hitter, because they have the strength to absorb his deficiencies.

Yes, in switching up in the ruck.

Defensively, the negatives easily outweigh the positives. A side like Hawthorn will absolutely feast on this.

He is significantly more worthy to the side as a forward/ruckman switch hitter, but can we afford this given the current limitations of our midfield? See, the thing is this, put Majak in the GWS side and he becomes a very dangerous switch hitter, because they have the strength to absorb his deficiencies.

I think his contribution to the defence (physicality, interception, reasonable ball use) has been solid especially vs Carlton where it granted Thompson license to freewheel more but can see how you reach your pov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back