MMA-UFC UFC 224 - NUNES VS PENNINGTON

Remove this Banner Ad

Not watching today, what happened?
Between the 4th and 5th Pennington told her coach that she was done. She had a broken nose, a beat up lower leg, and other things, but her coach basically said no. Then in the 5th she just took more punishment and copped another couple whacks to the nose which made it start gushing. She was on the ground covered up and the ref called it.

Don't know if I overreacted, but it was just bs imo.

I can see both sides of the argument. A coaches job is to keep their fighter motivated, I guarantee they go through stages during camp where they want to call it and quit, and they have to talk them out of it and get them going again.

Pennington didn’t say she was done she said ‘I want to be done’ like she was seeking a reason not to be, or whether her coach thought she should be done. The last thing she wants is to not go out there and have the what if argument, it was for the championship. Her coach was well within his rights there, imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see both sides of the argument. A coaches job is to keep their fighter motivated, I guarantee they go through stages during camp where they want to call it and quit, and they have to talk them out of it and get them going again.

Pennington didn’t say she was done she said ‘I want to be done’ like she was seeking a reason not to be, or whether her coach thought she should be done. The last thing she wants is to not go out there and have the what if argument, it was for the championship. Her coach was well within his rights there, imo.
Hmm, maybe I did get it a bit wrong. Didn't look good at the time, though.

Hmm, maybe I did get it a bit wrong. Didn't look good at the time, though.
You didn't. The vast majority of people fall into your category. There was a lot of venom on twitter directed at her coaches.

I think I fall in the middle. Title fights don't come around often and Rocky may not even have another one. She wasn't gassed and completely out of the fight, but she was pretty beaten up.

Imo, the ideal situation is try and fire her up. Send her out to give it everything for 30 seconds to a minute and empty the tank... But as soon as she was on her back, that towel should have come over the fence.

Fighters coaches know there fighter better than anyone else, they have to be given the benefit of the doubt in these situations imo.. but mistakes have been made in the past.

I think we need to encouraged towel throwing though.. but as far as I'm aware, it's illegal; has to be done in the breaks.

Surprise surprise, Dern wins. 6-0 for overweight fighters this year. Rubbish.

Happy for Kelvin, should be onto the title shot next you'd reckon.
It's a joke they even let a fight like this even take place after such a significant weight differential.

The 20% penalty is meaningless as the fact Cooper lost means her level of pay in her next fight may be compromised.

Plus the impacts of the defeat, physical and psychological can have repercussions on her career.

It's similar to Kevin Lee. He is celebrated for winning while over the weight limit. The hardest part of the weigh cut is the final couple of pounds.

Fighters might as well not even consider getting under the limit if all they are gonna cop is a minor financial sanction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back