Preview Changes for R10 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think Shuey would be given another week, but then the bye is after the St Kilda game so I don't think he plays until Sydney game.

Unless of course he could have played today and they were being conservative then he probably will play next week.

Has to be Hutchings out. Ah Chee provides some x factor, Hutchings is too vanilla

He did not look happy and wasn’t confident in the post match interview. He was heavily iced and limping as soon as the game finished.

If it’s PCL strain like I reckon it is, they jab him up to get through the game. It’s not something that immediately wipes you out.

Fingers crossed I’m wrong but I still think he’ll take a week off at the least.

Looked like a medial or lateral ligament strain 2-4 week recovery , the way he came back in the second quarter suggests otherwise .

Was Hutchings playing a negating role?? Him or Ah Chee out for me.. Ah Chee is a bloody talented player but didn't do enough today to keep Shuey out IMO

I don't know if Hutchings was tagging Cotchin? If so he did a pretty good job. He might stay in solely for that role
Agree, hard to tell. I thought when Yeo was off he went to Martin and Dusty was destroying him. But if he was on Cotch he did a great job.

I really liked Ah Chee bursting through a few packs and his relieving marking at half back when we were in trouble.

Is anyone else excited by the fact that when it comes to changes you have to think of players to go out rather than having a list of names with multiple exclamation marks against them half way through the second quarter?

Was impressed with Ah Chee's marking today. Could be useful as a HF/mid rotation. Waterman was quieter today but still played a role. I'd expect him to go out at some stage.

Hutchings won't go out, he's a perfect match up for Tom Mitchell. Doesn't have the power or pace to go with Martin but Mitchell is a plodder so Hutch can stick with him physically. Just needs to play him smart and keep him to 15-20 touches instead of 985.

Is anyone else excited by the fact that when it comes to changes you have to think of players to go out rather than having a list of names with multiple exclamation marks against them half way through the second quarter?

Was impressed with Ah Chee's marking today. Could be useful as a HF/mid rotation. Waterman was quieter today but still played a role. I'd expect him to go out at some stage.

Hutchings won't go out, he's a perfect match up for Tom Mitchell. Doesn't have the power or pace to go with Martin but Mitchell is a plodder so Hutch can stick with him physically. Just needs to play him smart and keep him to 15-20 touches instead of 985.
I'm not sure if it's worth tagging Mitchell or trying to clamp down on his release targets. It can be difficult to tag a player like Mitchell, it's like trying to tag Priddis, they're just better at getting the ball first via strength/positioning. Hard to stop without giving frees away but it will be interesting to see what the coaches run with.

No way, you guys play the short pass game out through half back against us and break our defensive set up. Usually cut us up.
Only difference is we now have Sam Mitchell who knows what you do. Starting to think he's been huge difference for us.
The short pass game only works if you have skillful players executing it and we don't right now. We also had Fagan and Hodge today who also knew how we would play. We are predictable ATM so I can't see us winning, the only advantage is that it's in Melbourne.

He did not look happy and wasn’t confident in the post match interview. He was heavily iced and limping as soon as the game finished.

If it’s PCL strain like I reckon it is, they jab him up to get through the game. It’s not something that immediately wipes you out.

Fingers crossed I’m wrong but I still think he’ll take a week off at the least.

Simmo said in the presser that is was a knock. It would be sore but he can get up from that, if not then Shuey comes in.

I'm not sure if it's worth tagging Mitchell or trying to clamp down on his release targets. It can be difficult to tag a player like Mitchell, it's like trying to tag Priddis, they're just better at getting the ball first via strength/positioning. Hard to stop without giving frees away but it will be interesting to see what the coaches run with.
If you tag Mitchell and he has no impact you win comfortably, we don't have the depth to pick up the slack, need Jaeger to find some form.

Waterman stays until Darling drops off. The three tall forward set up is working well at the moment and Waterman is playing high up the ground like Hansen used to

He’s got a long way to go but I think Waterman has been super impressive. Very rarely does he not take a mark when out on a lead and his decision making around goals is really good.

So many clubs would be dying for a 19 year old like that

If you tag Mitchell and he has no impact you win comfortably, we don't have the depth to pick up the slack, need Jaeger to find some form.

Yep, a bit of a one man band inside at the moment. A few weeks ago Mitchell was untaggable and racking up 50 touches and the Hawks were flying. Then all of a sudden he was tagged and has come right back to the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo said Shuey has already ticked the boxes right at the very end of conference. Yeo is fine and only a knock. His ankle looked like it copped the brunt. It was a small twist to knee. Id say minor meniscus or very low grade medial. Injection for next week and may rest him for Saints and also gets bye off. Petruccelle is also due in next week.

He had a ton of it today and they lost, so I think there's those teams out there that are willing to bet on Mitchell doing Mitchell things and trying to curb the influence in other ways. It will be good to see, Hutchings will be able to go with him strength wise I'd imagine.

I wonder if we will consider managing any players either side of the bye to give them an extended rest.

Could steamroll St Kilda with half our best 22, I reckon.

How bad can Yeo's injury be if he played out the game? I don't get it.
Looking at the mechanism of injury I'd put money on it being a strain to his lateral ligament.

Might give him time off to recover depending upon how he pulls up.

Would rather we keep Shuey out until after the bye but it depends on, you know, those in the know at the club.

Would hate to drop one to Hawthorn while we have this momentum but I dare say the MC will have faith in our "system" and err on the side of caution.

The AFL season is a marathon, not a sprint.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Masten out for Shuey if he's available.

He hasn't been playing poorly (and was outstanding v Gold Coast), but hasn't really excelled against the good teams. Played his role and nothing more. He's the lowest hanging fruit of the midfielders, so a direct swap for Shuey. We need Hutch for his tackling pressure (10 v Port, 9 v GWS). No prejudice against Masto but he just isn't best 22 at the moment ... I'm sure he can slot back in when there's injuries.

Last edited:
Waterman has incredibly strong hands, and takes marks dukes out in front. Something that took Lynchy years to figure out lol.
He used to close his eyes and have it bounce off his chest.

The short pass game only works if you have skillful players executing it and we don't right now. We also had Fagan and Hodge today who also knew how we would play. We are predictable ATM so I can't see us winning, the only advantage is that it's in Melbourne.
I'm still not keen to go to etihad. Haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back