• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I expect people like Nick (Riewoldt) who love the footy club, and people who are not as well informed as we are, to be asking a lot of questions and be very frustrated. I understand that.”

If Nick goes public and lambasts Richo and the club. They are done. Supporters have Rooey in airspace that very few are in at the saints. The greatest current gen player. If he goes smack there isn't any option and he would know very well what's been happening .

IF we are sounding out Roos that would mean we would also be asking the same question too Clarko, who is a big chance to leave Hawks imo

nailed it

because we have sought out roos does not mean its necessarily to be coach. it could be seeking an outside opinion on what he has observed

the fact its happening is a sure sign the board knows richo is done like i said weeks back. the moment the players started dictating to richo the game plan because they had no confidence in the one he was implementing was the last nail in the coffin. it was obvious at that point.

Also rumours that Summers orchestrated a very modest 3 month salary payout if Richo is sacked before his contract is up. Perhaps Summers is a more shrewd operator than we give him credit for?

this!

if people think he is an idiot they have no idea on who he is and what he has achieved. he is not a ******* idiot.

I know the club sticking by their "plan" is them trying to show some solidarity in a tough situation but every time they come out and say we should be this and we should be that it just makes them look even more stupid.

People WILL understand if they came out and just said that we are way off it but are working our backsides off to turn it around. Constantly talking up a playing list for a top four finish when you're sitting 1-7-1 seems stupid to me.

not if you are looking at the long game here.

sure its stupid we aren't going to make the top 4 from here, but that's not what is at play here.

its not about what we think will happen. its about HOLDING the football dept to account for the EXPECTATION they SET. if you wane on that, then you have larger issues at play and it also mean it makes rectifying the poor performance harder to do.

Seems incredibly unprofessional to think we are a top four side too. They need to can those grandiose statements it does nothing for anyone and when they don't deliver (like this year) supporters turn away.

on the contrary i think its very professional

“I expect people like Nick (Riewoldt) who love the footy club, and people who are not as well informed as we are, to be asking a lot of questions and be very frustrated. I understand that.”

If Nick goes public and lambasts Richo and the club. They are done. Supporters have Rooey in airspace that very few are in at the saints. The greatest current gen player. If he goes smack there isn't any option and he would know very well what's been happening .

is it time to put him on the board as the football director?

not if you are looking at the long game here.

sure its stupid we aren't going to make the top 4 from here, but that's not what is at play here.

its not about what we think will happen. its about HOLDING the football dept to account for the EXPECTATION they SET. if you wane on that, then you have larger issues at play and it also mean it makes rectifying the poor performance harder to do.
You don't have to do any of it publicly is my point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nailed it

because we have sought out roos does not mean its necessarily to be coach. it could be seeking an outside opinion on what he has observed

the fact its happening is a sure sign the board knows richo is done like i said weeks back. the moment the players started dictating to richo the game plan because they had no confidence in the one he was implementing was the last nail in the coffin. it was obvious at that point.

Freo did that to RTB two seasons back after their 0-10 start and he is still there. So its not that simple.

Can you link where it was said players were dictating to the coaches? Or do you think players never have any imput and it is just all the coaches way?

That was a remarkably stupid thing for Richo to say. Astonishing. If he seriously frames the discussion with fans around "It's Roo or me!", it's just, embarrassing, really. And AS IF the most respected Saint of the last decade, who only retired last year, isn't informed! Ugh, to even suggest that is professionally suicidal. Look, I get that he was seriously under fire when he said those things, and we all say stupid things under the blowtorch. But woh... just, woh...

No issues with it being done in public so long as your aren't afraid to make change and be strong with your leadership. Don't think he has done or is doing either of those 2 points
Yeah I can agree with that. Things change. I'd laugh at anyone who thought because the club said top four by 2018 four years ago that that plan wouldn't deviate. You'd have to be stupid to think that.

I think we all just want some transparency, if there's issues or if the plan is taking a little longer just come out and say it. Club keeps running with this silly notion that we are a good side if we can play to our capabilities. Well we aren't. Who are they trying to fool?

Freo did that to RTB two seasons back after their 0-10 start and he is still there. So its not that simple.

Can you link where it was said players were dictating to the coaches? Or do you think players never have any imput and it is just all the coaches way?
The direct words coming out of Richo's own mouth after the Giants game, was that the players sat him down and insisted they play man-on-man, because the zoning structure Richo had devised simply wasn't working.

That was a remarkably stupid thing for Richo to say. Astonishing. If he seriously frames the discussion with fans around "It's Roo or me!", it's just, embarrassing, really. And AS IF the most respected Saint of the last decade, who only retired last year, isn't informed! Ugh, to even suggest that is professionally suicidal. Look, I get that he was seriously under fire when he said those things, and we all say stupid things under the blowtorch. But woh... just, woh...

Think you completely mis read that quote. To me he was saying someone as well informed as Roo AND others (not as well informed like us) have every right to ask questions.

The direct words coming out of Richo's own mouth after the Giants game, was that the players sat him down and insisted they play man-on-man, because the zoning structure Richo had devised simply wasn't working.
Yes there was a board meeting in April where this had been flushed out too - coaches were coaching too much and not letting the players just simply play footy. Too much focus on structure.

I remember Richo saying at the end of last year that over the pre-season he was learning to ease up on how he was coaching the players - not micromanaging so much and letting them take control a bit. From the outside it looks as though he hasn't learnt.

So that is dictating to the coaches? Or is that cnsultation on the way forward.

I suppose people will spin it for their own agenda.

You don't have to do any of it publicly is my point.
I think we all just want some transparency, if there's issues or if the plan is taking a little longer just come out and say it. Club keeps running with this silly notion that we are a good side if we can play to our capabilities. Well we aren't. Who are they trying to fool?
I think you just answered your own question, man. They honestly believe that, notwithstanding the injuries, yep, we have a good list. As Richo himself said, these players had already got darn close to finals in previous years, and most were tipping over games-played milestones which suggested significant improvement (50 games, 100 games, etc). Top 4 might be ambitious, but not THAT ambitious - top 6 would have been reasonable. I still insist that the Club has made reasonable assumptions about the talent they've brought in via the draft and trade. It's just they have all regressed this year - not just stagnated, regressed. Regression can be for only two reasons: injury, or poor development. You can't blame recruiters for either. You can only blame fitness staff, and or the coaching staff.

Think you completely mis read that quote. To me he was saying someone as well informed as Roo AND others (not as well informed like us) have every right to ask questions.
If that's what he meant, phew. But it was very poorly articulated, and I doubt I'm the only one who heard it that way.

nailed it

If that's the reason, then Roos is more likely to lay the blame on the list and our rebuild strategy because it's what he's been saying so far.

I remember Richo saying at the end of last year that over the pre-season he was learning to ease up on how he was coaching the players - not micromanaging so much and letting them take control a bit. From the outside it looks as though he hasn't learnt.
That in itself may be a major contributor to the problem. If you've always taught a kid to swim with floaties on, then just take the floaties off and chuck them in the pool, that doesn't usually end well! That very narrative is itself concerning, because it suggests he's created a co-dependency with the players, that should have been steadily broken over the last 2-3 years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back