Autopsy Rnd 10 2018 Swans vs Brisvegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney appreciation moment. And Ronke and Hayward are consistently giving us the edge. Still a lot of room for improvement.

We basically played with -3.5 players. Hannebery is half the player he was time to cash in. Stud and mccartin are too fresh, great to see their debuts but Reid, towers and Rohan must step back in if we are to mount challenge come finals. And confused as to why we didn’t bring in an emergency when marsh decided to pull out of the game?

I dont get the love for Marsh .He regularly turns it over..never seen him win a one out contest .His one kick for the game was nice though .
He’s like a drain plug, stops the water pouring out but doesn’t add any back in. He deludes us by playing his ‘role’ but his stock standard approach gives us absolutely nothing going forward.

Don’t get me wrong when we have no other options I’m happy with sticking him in, but he simply does not have enough strings to his bow to be a permanent part of the team

Bulldogs won the the inside 50 count against Adelaide two weeks ago. That stat means so much

When was the last time we won the hit out count?
Dunno
I was just illustrating a point in response to a question

The only reason I even posted that post was because you started playing the luck game. You brought up the luck argument - I just wanted to demonstrate how you could argue the other way. Yes the frees evened up but the lions had 10 plus at one stage early on. Had they not received them perhaps they would have been further behind. Who knows. Kind of like you argue if the lions kicked those goals early in the last we would have lost (however I am not even sure how you can argue that tbh - how do you know what would have happened - perhaps they kick that first one but we go back and kick three in a row). Re the frees there was even one play where Buddy was caught holding the ball in our forward 50 - looked to me like he got a fist to it (I think the commentators saw it that way too), lions went and kicked a goal (I believe there was a free given to the lions in their 50 to get the goal too) - if we are arguing luck that to me is lucky.

I just think you can't argue we were lucky when we were leading the whole game and our defence was sensational - no luck involved. And as you say yourself our system and defence got us through so perhaps that was the difference, not luck.
You can argue the definition of luck however u want but my sentiment remains the same

The frees did go against us and were just one of the stats I mentioned where it could easily have been a different result

It wasn't, but that's how I saw the game

You can argue the definition of luck however u want but my sentiment remains the same

The frees did go against us and were just one of the stats I mentioned where it could easily have been a different result

But it didn’t happen...let go, enjoy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The constant momentum to Brisbane gifted by umpires is frustrating as hell.

But that was a gutsy win. Swans are building.
With all due respect to the umps...they were pathetic! As were the ones down at Geelong tonight, I think it was ‘see who could blow the whistle the most night’ in the AFL.

I said this earlier in the year and I'll say it again that our grit and grind wins will help immensely comes finals time. The thrashing of last couple years had made us soft when the game was close and the pressure was high this will definitely help in regards to the 'no show' in big games.

I think umpiring is not being improved on purpose it creates drama and headlines, commentators arent even allowed to question bad decisions.
I wouldn’t say that, I’d say it’s been over umpired and it’s not the umpires’ fault, it’s the AFL for their ‘(Clarkson) rule of the week’.

It was wet weather footy. Did you expect it to be scintillating? We controlled the game very well I thought. Played the percentages.

No I wasn't expecting that. But it was just a slog. I think we are a much more talented side than that. Funnily enough I think they are too. There is an old saying 'Good sides play the wet like it was dry'. In other words if you have the all round skill you play good footy in all weather. I thought the coaches coached for a particular outcome today. They wanted to manage the damage. Funnily enough if they had played the game on it's merits it could have been an absolute ball buster. But they just used the old rugby union bottle up tactic. It was ugly. Yes we controlled the game. Yes we won. But quite frankly it isn't a game I will be frantic to watch again. If the horrific nature of the skills was not enough to turn me off then the lack of scoring was. It is exactly the sort of game the media is yelling about. Disgusting!!! I want to see the Swans score goals. We have the ability to score multiple goals but not playing that sort of game. In the second and third quarters it wasn't raining but we still played the game like it was. So did they. The surface was a little slippery but not too much. Our whole game tonight consisted on bombing the ball in long hoping for a crumb. That was it!!Not exactly the best game plan in the book.

Thought it was a tough win for the Swans tonight. The team which wins the flag doesn't always dominate others, however generally does enough to come away with 4 points. Tonight the Swans did what was required in wet weather footy and their defensive structures held up well.

There will be plenty of sore bodies tomorrow and I reckon Hannebery will be one of them after wearing the hit that he did. That was a bone crunching tackle and could have done some damage so perhaps not surprisingly his input was limited tonight.

The kids are really fitting in nicely (e.g. Hayward, Florent and Ronke). Hewett's consistency has been very impressive this year and he is really maturing as a midfielder. Not only is he neutralizing his opponent week in week out in the tagging role, however he is also winning plenty of clearances. Kennedy was immence in the centre tonight and is building into some nice form (beast mode is back).

I think the talent is certainly there for Swans to go deep into September in 2018 and I look forward to the roller coaster ride it will be!

No I wasn't expecting that. But it was just a slog. I think we are a much more talented side than that. Funnily enough I think they are too. There is an old saying 'Good sides play the wet like it was dry'. In other words if you have the all round skill you play good footy in all weather. I thought the coaches coached for a particular outcome today. They wanted to manage the damage. Funnily enough if they had played the game on it's merits it could have been an absolute ball buster. But they just used the old rugby union bottle up tactic. It was ugly. Yes we controlled the game. Yes we won. But quite frankly it isn't a game I will be frantic to watch again. If the horrific nature of the skills was not enough to turn me off then the lack of scoring was. It is exactly the sort of game the media is yelling about. Disgusting!!! I want to see the Swans score goals. We have the ability to score multiple goals but not playing that sort of game. In the second and third quarters it wasn't raining but we still played the game like it was. So did they. The surface was a little slippery but not too much. Our whole game tonight consisted on bombing the ball in long hoping for a crumb. That was it!!Not exactly the best game plan in the book.
I disagree. I've seen a lot more dour wet games than that. Both sides were still trying to generate run through the middle with some good chains but it seemed to break down for both sides going inside 50. The conditions were obviously still very slippery and that impacted handling.

lol
okay :p

Gee I just think the whole luck argument that you are suggesting could be applied to many games, a lot of lucky teams out there. If you are arguing Brisbane's misses means we were lucky surely us missing some earlier on means that they were lucky that we weren't further in front? Also they had 2 more scoring shots to us in the end (who knows how many were rushed behinds), it's not like they were 1 goal 20. They weren't good enough, we were better.

Btw for what it's worth I think luck is when say you get a whole bunch of dodgey frees or say you get a free in front of goal in the last couple of minutes that wasn't there that wins the game. If you are not capable of or not allowed to (due to your opposition's great defence) kick goals that is not a question of luck. Us having a great defence is not luck. Anyway agree to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back