Review Freo defeat the Crows at Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

To add in to the Cox love, not only was he awesome in front of goals and with his marking, but at ground level with the ball in hand he was incredibly classy. His work rates lifted tenfold compared to his other outings and it really showed today.

Sometimes it's a confidence thing

During Peels pre season games and early rounds he was devoid of it and soft at the contest

Today he was everything Freo needed in a forward.

What did we change at quarter time (or what did the Crows change) for us to get trounced in the 2nd?

Also - the auskickers during half time had me in stitches nearly wiping out the fox commentary team with wayward kicks. One ball bounced between the big lamps on sticks, and had the lighting guy laughing

What did we change at quarter time (or what did the Crows change) for us to get trounced in the 2nd?
my 2c from what I could see on the television, the 2nd term it felt as if when getting it out of the d50, the main options were just kicks down the line, meaning our ball movement slowed

my 2c from what I could see on the television, the 2nd term it felt as if when getting it out of the d50, the main options were just kicks down the line, meaning our ball movement slowed
Was that a directive or were Adelaide choking up our exits?

Also - the auskickers during half time had me in stitches nearly wiping out the fox commentary team with wayward kicks. One ball bounced between the big lamps on sticks, and had the lighting guy laughing

I don't know. not much has been spoken about that second quarter, but I was getting pretty pissed off by the time the siren went for half time. That second quarter was the same old we've seen for the last month - slow ball movement, player with the ball not looking to move it on quickly, plodding leads with no conviction, kicking long to a contest. Whatever Ross told them at 1/4 time and 1/2 time it was good enough to get them to take the game on on the second half - that mark by Neale with the quick play-on and kick to a target in the goal square was sheer joy.

As far as the 2nd quarter goes, it needs to be considered how hard it was to kick to one end of the ground, especially at goal.

Swirling wind, and at ground level it was almost opposite to the flags on top of the stands. And shots at goal to the left of screen were holding up late and swerving considerably.

We did really well to not be overrun in the last quarter, the ground was playing like a 3-4 goal breeze. We were outplayed in the 2nd, but I don’t think it was as bad as it seems on paper.

As far as the 2nd quarter goes, it needs to be considered how hard it was to kick to one end of the ground, especially at goal.

Swirling wind, and at ground level it was almost opposite to the flags on top of the stands. And shots at goal to the left of screen were holding up late and swerving considerably.

We did really well to not be overrun in the last quarter, the ground was playing like a 3-4 goal breeze. We were outplayed in the 2nd, but I don’t think it was as bad as it seems on paper.
Is the breeze a known quantity when it does pick up? As we continue to play at Optus, I'd like to think we can play the conditions better. That second quarter we couldnt hit targets. I'm going to re-watch to see if I can pick what changed tactically

Oh also - there are two guys that stand behind my seat regularly and know their stuff. They're a pleasure to talk to when watching the game, since we bounce ideas around regarding what is happening tactically during a game

To add in to the Cox love, not only was he awesome in front of goals and with his marking, but at ground level with the ball in hand he was incredibly classy. His work rates lifted tenfold compared to his other outings and it really showed today.

he was absolutely cooked by the end of the game. a couple of times he went for a tackle and he just laid on them for a couple of seconds catching his breath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah no papering over the cracks. It wasn’t great. Something to learn from.

Lukey and Coxy earned their beers tonight. Cheers fellas! :beercheers:

TJn7rlm.jpg

Made me laugh that the afl review said that the Crows were missing 7 first choice players, and we were missing fyfe, Sandi, and others. Let's do a quick headcount -

Fyfe, Sandilands, S Hill, B Hill, Taberner is 5. You could argue Sunshine and Logue are in our best 22 normally, or Darcy as second ruck. At the very least those first 5.

I think Cam is an Immature late bloomer type weirdo (I can relate). You get him in his niche, and it clicks and he'll do some special stuff.

At the risk of ' coaching ' all the flair out of him Cmac is one who should get the ' if you don't chase you don't play ' speech , if he can't compete in the air then he is a small fwd and that means pressure is a must because I can't think of too many comparisons in the AFL for a player of his size and speed that are making a living as a leading fwd

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Made me laugh that the afl review said that the Crows were missing 7 first choice players, and we were missing fyfe, Sandi, and others. Let's do a quick headcount -

Fyfe, Sandilands, S Hill, B Hill, Taberner is 5. You could argue Sunshine and Logue are in our best 22 normally, or Darcy as second ruck. At the very least those first 5.

On top of those 8, there is the enigma that is H Bennell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feels good watching the capabilities of our list when there's a collective effort across 4 quarters and we're switched on. You could find positives in everyone today.

Cox has been amazing, his hands are killer now and it's great seeing him get reward for his work with some goals, Giro a bloody clean ball user, Banfield probably played his best game of the season I would of thought, Jones did really well drawing in players and making a contest. He was huge in the last 5 minutes and you all the know the story of Cerra.
Good to see some love for the Jones boy. Stats don’t tell the full story.

It’s pretty evident that nearly every type of media coverage hates us :(

At the risk of ' coaching ' all the flair out of him Cmac is one who should get the ' if you don't chase you don't play ' speech , if he can't compete in the air then he is a small fwd and that means pressure is a must because I can't think of too many comparisons in the AFL for a player of his size and speed that are making a living as a leading fwd

I agree. You gotta work harder Dardy...get agrresive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back