RatherHaveABeer

Senior List
Sep 3, 2007
The Shire (Bag End)
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Donga Doggies
THE MELBOURNE Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Gary Pert as the Club’s next Chief Executive Officer.

Pert has a strong leadership background most recently as the CEO of the Collingwood Football Club, where he oversaw a significant period of growth, both on and off the field, in his 11 years at the helm.

Prior to the Collingwood, Pert was the General Manager at Austero Melbourne, as well as the Manager Director role at Channel 9 and a long-term board position at SEN Radio. Pert also played 233 games for Fitzroy and Collingwood across his 13 seasons in the AFL.

Melbourne Chairman Glen Bartlett welcomes Gary to Club and said that he looks forward to his contribution to its future success.

“On behalf of the Board I would like to thank all candidates who expressed an interest in becoming the CEO of this great Club. It is coveted role and we had an outstanding field of candidates. Gary Pert presented as an outstanding candidate with excellent credentials and a strong track record of producing commercial outcomes.

“Gary also oversaw the development of new facilities at Olympic Park and the Holden Centre, a period of strong commercial growth and was CEO when they won their last premiership. The Board were unanimous in their decision that Gary was the best candidate to lead Melbourne through its next phase.

“I would like to thank the Board for their professional approach and the team at Russell Reynolds led by Stephen Langton who were outstanding with their professional support of each candidate, the board and for their independence counsel.

Bartlett also praised the leadership of current CEO Peter Jackson.

“Peter commenced his role as CEO in April 2013 and has worked tirelessly with the board and his executive team to successfully transform the Club to a position where there is a significant opportunity for sustained success on and off the field. We expect a smooth transition which will continue the momentum towards the Club becoming Respected and Great in all facets.

Pert said he was looking forward to starting in the role and continuing the growth that’s been established under the current board and management group.

“I’m really excited to be working with the Board and staff of the Melbourne Football Club to continue the momentum building both on and off the field. The Melbourne Football Club is one of the great Clubs of the AFL and I welcome the opportunity to be part of its journey and the growth of the Club into the future.

Pert will commence in the role in October of 2018.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-14/melbourne-announce-gary-pert-as-next-ceo

Personally I feel this is a great get. Have heard him speak numerous times and he comes across as a bloke who really knows what he's doing. Pies succession plan aside, his CV speaks to exactly what we need right now. Keep increasing membership, develop a new training facility etc.

Hmmm

Did some good things at Collingwood early on no doubt, but was (rightly I think) a target of a lot of criticism by the time he left. That said it can't have been easy being a CEO under Eddie.

Can someone remind me why he left Collingwood?
He was seemingly the first casualty of the review resigning as that was getting underway. There are a lot of negative rumours around about his last few years at Collingwood including:
- He was the source of the leaks that were coming out of Collingwood in the last few years (they certainly stopped after he left
- He’s rumoured to be the reason that Geoff Walsh left the club that led to the Footy Manager merry-go-round that the Pies had for a few years which finished with Geoff Walsh coming back to oversee the footy department part of the review
- He wasn’t overly popular with the players or the footy department
- He seemed to be a Micro-manager i.e. he sat at the recruiters desk as part of the recruitment team, rather than letting the recruitment staff do their jobs
- He was a big part of the reason that Gubby Allen was brought back to the club despite the cloud hanging over him and the fact that it pushed Balme out

For the record it’s sincerely possible he got stale in that role. He was in the Pies CEO role for about a decade and it was only in the last few years that the negative feelings about him seemed to surface. So a fresh challenge may be all he needs to leave that stuff behind him if it’s true. He also did fairly well at managing Eddie for a while there too which is no mean feet. Though it is worth noting that part of the infamous review was a review into the administration (i.e. Pert’s department) side of the organisation.

I hope it's a short/medium term appointment to build us a training base on Gosch's. No one is better qualified to do that. Once that's done he can hand over. He's 53 and been a high level executive for a long time, I doubt he needs the job forever, so set him the challenge of a training base and see where he's at after that.

Surprising move and apparently they best candidate?

This could go either way spectacularly. He may get us a lot of $$ and a nice training base or we will fall apart from the inside.

Seems Jackson has set a lot up and it’s probably a good thing to have an experienced guy come in to see these things through. Seems a big job with the cutting of pokies and possibly a new training base. Hopefully Mahoney stays on as surely he’d be just about next in line and is not that long into his career.

I don't like the rumours that he's a Footy Department control freak, reminds me too much of Cameron Schwab. Will back PJ, but don't like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to remember when we hired Jackson all the bombers fans bagged him out.

The thing is he was at Collingwood for a decade. Probably became stale and the pies were on the way down at the time. He was there for a Premiership though so I imagine he played some role there. Also the Dees have made some good decisions lately. I’ll be letting the dust settle on this prior to making any rash judgments.

If he enters the footy department, Mahoney is the kind of guy who won't let that s**t slide.

If he enters the footy department, Mahoney is the kind of guy who won't let that s**t slide.
If he's anything like the Pies Footy Managers, he'll sooner quit

From what i know from his time at Collingwood..

He was extremely hands on, almost too hands on. Would sit in on selection meetings and have his say which is absurd for a CEO imo. Very controlling of player behaviour, if you have any players that march to the beat of their own drum or are a little left of centre, Pert will clash with them.

He is extremely professional but somewhat inflexible, will be interesting for those with inside connections how he is with staff, but i wouldn't be surprised if a few moved on at the end of the year with Pert's appointment, but i think he could be very good for the right club, maybe Melbourne is that club. He may not clash with anyone internally at the Dees like he did at Collingwood.

Best of Luck and hope it works out for you.

He was an obvious success early days at Collingwood. The issues toward the end were no doubt caused by the succession plan with mick and bucks. I personally thought Malthouse was treated poorly and Eddie and Pert obviously had one thing on their mind and that was Buckley was going to be coach. Melbourne will be a different place and there’s no plan to move on the coach as far as I know. I’ll give him time and we’ll see.

AFL got their man.

My mail is Mahoney was the man, but the AFL were reluctant to tick off an inexperienced guy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If it doesn't work out AFL should give us a priority pick.

AFL got their man.

My mail is Mahoney was the man, but the AFL were reluctant to tick off an inexperienced guy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That's not good. If PJ implemented a succession plan that included Mahoney, they should have respected that.

Gill just annoys me.

Sorry to intrude folks. I reckon you did well with Perty. Hugely experienced and was a the president during our premiership year. Plus he was at Channel 9 and Austerio. I sincerely wish him well.

And so continues...
...a long held Collingwood to Melbourne relationship of dumping Excess rubbish on MFC..
(Circa Heretier..Dawes..Kennedy. .Neeld)

Good luck guys.
Another narcissist with the character traits of Schwab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back