Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Use to be a nice kick now his decision making and kicking skills are average what has happened?

I know with the surgery in the off season he wasn't able to get in as much kicking as he would liked and his kicking isn't where he would like it to be. I don't think anyone is as frustrated with it as Hurls himself is, after one of his miskicks that ended up as a North goal yesterday he swore at himself for at least a minute until his opponent arrived off the bench.

I know with the surgery in the off season he wasn't able to get in as much kicking as he would liked and his kicking isn't where he would like it to be. I don't think anyone is as frustrated with it as Hurls himself is, after one of his miskicks that ended up as a North goal yesterday he swore at himself for at least a minute until his opponent arrived off the bench.

That's fantastic. Unfortunately, he's had the opportunity to be down on himself after a turnover/poor kick a lot this year. That may have been the only one that directly resulted in a goal yesterday, but he had another shocker, a simple switch of play in the backline (3rd quarter I believe) to Heppell in the camera-side back pocket and he missed the target and went out of bounds.

I love Hurley the person. But he's gone from someone we want to give the ball to, to someone who I'm happy if he handballs it off to someone else to make a decision. Need to simplify the game for him and just get him to focus on defending first and foremost, and almost forget about being an attacking option for a while. It seems as though he has done this since the Brisbane game, and it's certainly been an improvement.

Again had a horrid day but his last quarter was very promising when he was finally able to take some contested marks which he hasnā€™t been able to stick for awhile

Everyone says he needs to move it quicker but thatā€™s no always the option, whatā€™s worse is when he just bangs it on the boot without any thought. When he takes that half second to asses his options his kicking looks much better.

Again had a horrid day but his last quarter was very promising when he was finally able to take some contested marks which he hasnā€™t been able to stick for awhile

Everyone says he needs to move it quicker but thatā€™s no always the option, whatā€™s worse is when he just bangs it on the boot without any thought. When he takes that half second to asses his options his kicking looks much better.
Was he horrid? Just watched the second and last quarters and he was pretty good in one, very good in the other.

Heā€™s stopped the zoning off crap and is playing more accountable footy which I like. Tidy the disposal up a little and heā€™s good go - hope to see beast mode deployed shortly.

He is MILES off the pace at the moment. I really don't know what's wrong with him..or maybe it's just that I am watching him more closely??

He is basically dead last in the AFL for average tackles this year (594th to be exact).

He hasn't had a tackle since Brisbane, and has 6 clean sheets this year. I mean...seriously - 10 tackles this year in 12 games?

Rance has had 5 clean sheets. Take out Cats game and heā€™s had 14 in 13 games.

Hurley and as helping Hooker with Brown. 2-3 poor short passes but other than that he was good.

Apart from his massive turnover I thought he was pretty good. If I have one minor knock it is he should be taking the first option more often. He has been slowing the game down a few times when he had options to make a quick play.

I feel he misses Gleeson.
the combo was awesome to watch last year.

wouldn't mind if we put another intercept player down there with him.
Trial Francis in place of Dea for the rest of the season.

Absolutely not.

Dea has been as steady as rock back there as gleesons replacement. If anyone gets dropped itā€™s Ambrose who was at sea the whole game & clearly needed another few games at VFL.

Francis should be brought in this week for him.

I'd say Hurley has still been a good player for us this year just not at his AA levels we know he's capable of. He's just a bit down on confidence and form. The club will keep backing him in and he will come good. Much like Fantasia who also hadn't reached the levels he was capable of until the game vs North.

Hurley's game vs North wasn't too bad. He did a good job helping out Hooker (along with Dea) to curtail Brown's influence. Got beaten a few times but to be honest both defenses had lots of issues with how well the ball was being moved early with equal numbers on both sides. That turnover was a shocker but other than that was pretty good. Did some nice work up the ground in the first half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely not.

Dea has been as steady as rock back there as gleesons replacement. If anyone gets dropped itā€™s Ambrose who was at sea the whole game & clearly needed another few games at VFL.

Francis should be brought in this week for him.
This.
Collingwood only play with one main tall (Cox) a smaller KPF type in Mihocek and a bunch of mid sized players in Hoskin-Elliot, Stephenson, De Goey etc.

Hurley - Mihocek
Hooker - Cox
Ridley/Francis - Stephenson
Goddard - WHE
Dea - De Goey

3 KPDs is overkill. Hurley and Hooker are locks, so Ambrose is the unlucky out although he looked underdone last week anyway.

Ridley or Francis a chance on match ups.

This.
Collingwood only play with one main tall (Cox) a smaller KPF type in Mihocek and a bunch of mid sized players in Hoskin-Elliot, Stephenson, De Goey etc.

Hurley - Mihocek
Hooker - Cox
Ridley/Francis - Stephenson
Goddard - WHE
Dea - De Goey

3 KPDs is overkill. Hurley and Hooker are locks, so Ambrose is the unlucky out although he looked underdone last week anyway.

Ridley or Francis a chance on match ups.
THhink Ridley serves us better.

The thing with Francis is who do you play him on? We know he can zone off and intercept but can he be accountable for somebody....this feels like an unknown to me.

From what Iā€™ve seen, heā€™s pretty much just playing on his terms at VFL level....and doing it really well...but how it will translate to AFL makes me a tad nervous.

Apart from his massive turnover I thought he was pretty good. If I have one minor knock it is he should be taking the first option more often. He has been slowing the game down a few times when he had options to make a quick play.

Out of interest went back through his stats for '15 & '17, his AA years, to compare to this year & his numbers are very much the same, averages in tackles slightly down & somewhat surprisingly, average clangers down from last year, 3.00 to 2.75, less than Rance just for example.

If anything Hurley's numbers this year support just what a consistent player he is, year in year out.

Is there a stat for most dropped marks, the guy seems to juggle everything. Works okay when you still have time to complete the chest mark, sucks if there is a lot of pressure though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back