News 2018 membership

Remove this Banner Ad

These numbers are outrageous. Have the standards for what passes the AFL audit dropped recently?
If attendances haven't risen proportionately then yes.

Wh
AFL introduced non access members in their 2011 count because when they released their 2012-16 Club equalisation funding document on 26 September 2011 - showing how they will spend TV dollars and other income for 2012-16 TV deal period, they set the aim of 1,000,000 members by 2016.

They have got there 2 years late, but have become more flexible about what's counted in their official totals compared to prior to 2011.

I'm surprised the crows have 64k. That means they are now selling more general admin and 3 game passess than the previous 4 seasons at AO. I've seen them pushing 3 gamers and bronze memberships.

Looks like WCE are still selling their in the Wings membership as they still have 20,000 more members than seats available at the new Perth Stadium just like at Subi. But maybe they have got a bit stricter because if you became an in the Wings member whilst they played Subi it allowed you to buy up to 4 memberships. Maybe now its only up to 1.

Essendon have also widen the packages they are offering compared to the past membership categories.
Crows up 8000 on last year and us only up 2000?
I get they are pushing Ga memberships but I am sure we are too.
Are they doing something shifty?
Is it their AFLW involvement?
Is it because they were in a GF?
Is it connected to esports?
Are they doing some shifty clerical stuff?

Need to lift our game surely in such a tight market.

Haha 84,385 Auskickers being counted is a new one. The AFL didnt put up a pie chart graphic for 2017 but did for 2016 but you can see the new categories between the 2 years clearly. I have put the numbers in a small spreadsheet. 2016 and 2018 categories for reduced access and country v reduced access and 3 game are like for like as totals but slightly different as categories so thats why I have put them in gray shading.

You can see the effect of the Auskickers has reduced the full Adult paying total from 70% in 2016 to 64.6% in 2018.

upload_2018-8-2_10-48-37.png

2016 Total was 875,197

upload_2018-8-2_10-27-8.png

upload_2018-8-2_10-28-42.png

Last edited:
There are just over 100,000 MCC members - are they counted?
Nope- the stadium is Adelaide Oval - carry over from Football Park days as I explained on the previous page.

Interestingly only just over 450,000, ie less than half are actual 11 game plus club members. Roughly just over half if you include Stadium/AFL members. Figures are incredibly rubbery.
Its so the AFL can say to government 1 in 24 Aussies are members of our clubs, so give us monies for sports development and community programs, and of course the big one - stadiums.

The country memberships, and split memberships say 4 games in Launceston and say 7 or 8 games at Docklands for Essendon and dont buy the 11 games that include 3 or 4 at the MCG or people who buy 8 games for Kardinia Park and dont want to buy 3 games for MCG/Docklands games are fair enough to count them IMO. Country members with 5 game memberships have been counted for decades. Splitting stadiums where you play home games at (other than AFL owned stadium) is a 21st century thing.

But yeah the 3 gamers, non access, 1 gamers, Auskickers are rubbery. As I posted on the previous page ,the AFL in 2011 started changing things by counting non access memberships for the first time and set the goal of 1mil club members by 2016.

Last edited:
I thought the clubs counted them in their figures? eg Melbourne have a lot a MCC members and I thought these were counted in their figures.
You thought wrong. MCC members have to buy some form of club membership to be counted by the AFL.

The AFL count the people who tick a Club Support box for their AFL memberships and Adelaide Oval/Football Park memberships because monies are transferred to the clubs for those memberships. That doesn't happen with MCC memberships. About 5,000 people who are AFL Members dont tick a club support box, no monies are transferred to any club for those memberships and those 5,000 members aren't included in any club total.

If in doubt - follow the money.

My suspicion is that the standards for AFL audited memberships have dropped to allow those at executive level within AFL House to claim their bonuses while not actually delivering any real growth. Happy to be convinced otherwise but I just can't see how these numbers are in any way comparable to previous years.

It's shenanigans to loosen the definition of 'AFL audited' member then claim it as growth based on the previous year(s) that used a stricter definition.

Is this really what the leadership of Gil is delivering? Comical new leagues (AFL-X), Disregard for competition integrity (In season new rule trials), artificially inflated growth numbers ('AFL Audited' memberships). Gil is the iceberg to the AFL's Titanic. Charlatan.

tumblr_inline_miwrkwFJvr1qz4rgp.gif

Is this really what the leadership of Gil is delivering? Comical new leagues (AFL-X), Disregard for competition integrity (In season new rule trials), artificially inflated growth numbers ('AFL Audited' memberships). Gil is the iceberg to the AFL's Titanic. Charlatan.

Gil_is_onfire

(as was the Titanic before it set out on its maiden voyage according to a doco I saw recently)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 Average Attendance (35207) 2017 Membership - 907,561
2018 Average attendance (thus far) - (34544) 2018 Membership 1008,494

Nothing to see here folks!

Does anyone have the before and after the Audit? I just cant see how Richmond recently broke the 100000 and after the audit they're still over. I honestly don't care how much members they have its more of the vic love wankfest from the AFL.

Does anyone have the before and after the Audit? I just cant see how Richmond recently broke the 100000 and after the audit they're still over. I honestly don't care how much members they have its more of the vic love wankfest from the AFL.

I’m sure someone in the Membership thread on the Footy Industry board will put up a table of claimed memberships vs post audit before too long. But without the detail of how the AFL actually sets standards for the audit that can only tell you so much.

My suspicion is that the standards for AFL audited memberships have dropped to allow those at executive level within AFL House to claim their bonuses while not actually delivering any real growth. Happy to be convinced otherwise but I just can't see how these numbers are in any way comparable to previous years.

It's shenanigans to loosen the definition of 'AFL audited' member then claim it as growth based on the previous year(s) that used a stricter definition.

This is the consistent bit since 2011, otherwise the crows would have around 90,000 as their audited number.

upload_2018-8-2_11-52-44.png

What isn't consistent is what they count with the $50+. Eddie Dingle said he bought a family Giants AFLW membership package and got the Giants membership thrown in as well which he threw away. So lets say he paid $250-$300 range for it then they would count all 4 members of his family, but do they double count them as Giants members as well?? I don't know, but given AFLW figures are in there, he is at least counted once. And his 2 daughters and himself are double counted in the 1.008m figure because all 3 are Club 1870 members.

How many other people are counted more than once? Sheedy used to buy a membership to every Vic club when he was coaching? Does he still do that and get counted 10 times?

Some people buy 5 memberships and only give 1 or 2 names because they want to use that with family and friends rather than specific people. It gets counted as 5 memberships, just like the generic corporate memberships attached when it buys a corporate 10 seat hospitality box. The club gets the money, but does that really mean 10 people are passion paid up fans of the club?

My nephew who is 30, buys an extra child seat, likes to have a bit of extra room and if a mate comes along, he use the seat and sits with him. My nephew uses the name of my 11 year old niece from another one of my siblings. The club gets the money, but is that a real fan who has paid up.? There would be plenty of example of these 3 I have listed above across the league.

Anyone got Auskick kids? How much does it cost for the 6 week program or however long it is these days. If it was $150 last year and say gone up to $160 this year, and the AFL is giving away junior memberships with them, then they meet the $50 criteria to count even though there hasn't been a $50 increase in fees.

Why do they do it?? Yeah KPI's for bonuses no doubt but there is a bigger game going on. And as I have said before - follow the money and you will understand. That's for the next post.

Last edited:
The slight uptick in our figures papers over things IMO. We’ve slid behind Fremantle (ok new oval, but still) and Carlton! Behind a team that would struggle to win a game with loaded dice. Worse if you go back to 14/15. IMO we should (if we didn’t play a game style to sap hope from supporters, whilst boring them) be ahead of Carlton, Freo, Sydney and Geelong.

Not having an AFLW team doesn’t help, but that’s not enough to excuse all of it. I’m sure we’ll get ‘sunshine’s and lollipops’ from KT about the figures, instead of a clear path to get to where we should be (outside try harderer for the players and isn’t Ken wonderful).

yeah we should be aiming to be in the top third, that isn't achievable without an AFLW side imo

Have a look at the cost of West Coasts memberships. I conservatively estimate they are pulling $35-$40 million in membership revenue alone. Nobody would be within a bulls roar of that.

Been taking advantage of the supply/demand differential for years, ripping millions out of their supporter base a year, literally shoving it into a bloated bank account with no apparent purpose. And then they have the audacity to ask for government funding for their new facility. Vile, contemptuous organisation.

Been taking advantage of the supply/demand differential for years, ripping millions out of their supporter base a year, literally shoving it into a bloated bank account with no apparent purpose. And then they have the audacity to ask for government funding for their new facility. Vile, contemptuous organisation.

Lol. I wish we had their problems.

yeah we should be aiming to be in the top third, that isn't achievable without an AFLW side imo

Aflw memberships will get artificially inflated like the auskick ones do. The afl will do all sorts of dodgy things to hide slow or no interest ala gws 25k. Then they can send all sorts of media releases about how successful it is much like they do for all other aflw stuff already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back