How could Geelong possibly miss James Worpel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn board -------> that way.

How could they possibly draft Mitch Thorp over Joel Selwood??!

Sack them all. :drunk:

*silly people

Mainboard strikes again.

GO Catters

I'd love to hear the story behind this.

Local boy, captain of the Geelong Falcons, touted as a top-10 pick by some draft experts. Geelong have three chances to pick him up (although they did take the excellent Tim Kelly with one of those which is fair enough) and yet they still somehow miss out.

Not sure I would go so far as to say that their recruiting team should be sacked but I think there are plenty of questions to be asked.

Really? You're “not sure” whether they should be sacked? Over 1 player who has played 6 games? Geez you're kind, I`m calling for their heads personally!

I’d still take Mitch Thorp.
So as not to incur the wrath of the law keepers, I will simply bid you farewell and good day and leave the trolling to you.

Go Catters

I'd love to hear the story behind this.

Local boy, captain of the Geelong Falcons, touted as a top-10 pick by some draft experts. Geelong have three chances to pick him up (although they did take the excellent Tim Kelly with one of those which is fair enough) and yet they still somehow miss out.

Not sure I would go so far as to say that their recruiting team should be sacked but I think there are plenty of questions to be asked.
The story is pretty easy to digest. We had 3 picks before Worpel was taken. Kelly is a no brainer. We needed a pressure forward/mid and took one that was rated quite highly in Fogarty and used our other pick on a bit of class and poise which we also lacked, so took Constable who is tracking along nicely and looks a class above at VFL level.

Good luck to Worpel but you can't pick everyone. If we did the draft again I still wouldn't pick Worpel ahead of those 3. I think Constable will become a better player down the track and he was the inside mid we took instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch for the usual suspects to launch a campaign belittling Worpels career
I think this thread is quick to jump the gun.

He's played 6 games. Against 11th, (twice) 13th, 15th, 16th and 18th on the premiership ladder and his highest disposal tally has been 32 against the last placed side and worst midfield in the league. His other tallies have been 16,16,13,11 and 6. Maybe wait until he actually starts performing at a high level and against good midfields before you start criticising clubs for not taking him in the draft.

How could Hawthorn miss Ryan Abbott?

I think this thread is quick to jump the gun.

He's played 6 games. Against 11th, (twice) 13th, 15th, 16th and 18th on the premiership ladder and his highest disposal tally has been 32 against the last placed side and worst midfield in the league. His other tallies have been 16,16,13,11 and 6. Maybe wait until he actually starts performing at a high level and against good midfields before you start criticising clubs for not taking him in the draft.

How could Hawthorn miss Ryan Abbott?

Worpel will have a fine career

We drafted Fogarty, Kelly and Constable over him.

I'm more than happy with Fogarty and Kelly. Constable has looked good in the VFL too.

Hawks look like they snagged a good one with Worpel though. Hope he succeeds.

He looks petty ' finished product ' body wise sometimes those guys look great early but don't get much better , could be this years SPP. Still the Hawks probably needed someone like that to freshen them up a bit rather than a gangly 3-4 year project player

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back