Unofficial Preview Rd 22 Geelong v Fremantle at KP.. does it even matter ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Taylor as a forward after being an AA Backman the year before, Guthrie anywhere but delisted, Thurlow as a back when he is best played on the wing.
Taylor has been named in the AA team twice - 2010 & 2013 - and he actually kicked 15 goals when playing predominately as a defender in 2013.

I didn't realise we moved Taylor forward in 2014, I thought last year was the first time we really seem him playing predominately forward. He didn't even make the 40 man squad in 2016 - last time he made the squad was 2014.

He’s unrestricted free agent so unfortunately no trade required. We could get a compensatory pick, depending on $$$, years on the deal, and if we gain any free agents, I would imagine a $300,000 3 year deal would be lucky to get us a 3rd round pick

There is absolutely no way he gets a 3 year deal, it will be 2 max and we will probably get a 4-5th rounder as compo as he isn't a big wage player.

Taylor has been named in the AA team twice - 2010 & 2013 - and he actually kicked 15 goals when playing predominately as a defender in 2013.

I didn't realise we moved Taylor forward in 2014, I thought last year was the first time we really seem him playing predominately forward. He didn't even make the 40 man squad in 2016 - last time he made the squad was 2014.

Fair enough was probably exaggerating a bit but my point was still the same :p

I hope GHS comes in for Parsons this week and gets forward defensive role.
Abbott and Smith back and start taking the ruck role seriously, Cunico in for Fogarty (if they go with 1 ruck) and Taylor back for OConnor

These are the obvious choices for men be

To trade in a player only for them to be traded out or desisted after 3 years Is a shocking indictment of our list management choices.
Not really, we got the guy for pick 49 and 53 and needed a ruck, 42 games in 3 years to date would be over what you'd expect as output from 2 late third rounders.

Danger as a forward is no good spoils is own team, runs into the space Hawkins leads into, it's all about him. Ablett is better as a forward. At least he is capable of making space for others.

Danger in the centre is a worry. We get cut up as his defensive running is atrocious.

If it was only him being weak defensively it wouldn't be so bad. The problem is Ablett is just as bad or worse, and Selwood isn't always strong at it either.

The harsh reality is, this season we've lost more games with those three playing than we've won. It should improve in the next fortnight (it better), but right now it's 7 wins, and 8 losses.

Our midfield has constantly failed without Danger in there, we dont have the 4 best mids in the comp at all your basing that on reputations from the past, maybe 3 years ago we could have classed it as that, Danger is a contested beast, Gaz is near the end and is one injury away from retirement, Selwood gets tagged out too easily by good taggers and Duncan has been woeful lately. If Danger isn't in there winning clearances then we don't win any, as has been stated he was bought in to fix a problem so let him do that otherwise we will continue to get smashed otherwise play him forward for most of the game and watch him kick 0 from 5 possessions like the Richmond game. And dont give me that garbage about him creating space for Hawkins, thats a load of BS, if anything Danger gets in the way, thats the midfielders mindset of see ball get ball.
I love the constant 'Selwood gets tagged out of games too easily' comments on here. Gets tagged every week but he'd be comfortably sitting in our top 3 in the B&F...again.

Abbott and Smith back and start taking the ruck role seriously, Cunico in for Fogarty (if they go with 1 ruck) and Taylor back for OConnor

I love the GHS idea but I still think the MC's hands are tied in regards to selecting certain forwards with Menzel in the team.

Have to be improvement over Fogarty who had 5 possessions.
As much as you may disapprove of GHS.

The problem is Scott likes to destroy players by making them into something they aren't.
It could be interpreted that way, but look at Blicavs. EVERYBODY NOW believes he is a real and good defender. Wanting and expecting versatility and adaptability is not uncommon.
Watched Isaac Heeney on Sunday- kicked 2 clutch goals early on, then was sent deep in defence and took MOTY, saved the game. Of course, he is a rare player, and close to the MVP in the AFL, but he is not just a mid/fwd.
And Cam Mooney- saw him be BOG in a final v Demons as a KB, and he has played ruck, and been an AA CHF.
There are numerous examples.
It's got to be good for a player if they can be useful in many positions on the ground.

It could be interpreted that way, but look at Blicavs. EVERYBODY NOW believes he is a real and good defender. Wanting and expecting versatility and adaptability is not uncommon.
Watched Isaac Heeney on Sunday- kicked 2 clutch goals early on, then was sent deep in defence and took MOTY, saved the game. Of course, he is a rare player, and close to the MVP in the AFL, but he is not just a mid/fwd.
And Cam Mooney- saw him be BOG in a final v Demons as a KB, and he has played ruck, and been an AA CHF.
It's got to be good for a player if they can be useful in many positions on the ground.
Heeney is every bit as good an overhead mark as jimmy was for a similar size. Possibly better as he also has a leap. Be close to the first picked if we were in the school yard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t disapprove of GHS at all. That’s why I put his name up......I know others here think he’s too slow, but I think hes very good in close, and is a good decision maker, which negates his lack of foot speed to a certain extent. He’s also a good reader of play, which our other small forwards aren’t, .......and he’s a strong mark.
He’s ahead of all the kids imo.

Last edited:
Smith or Abbott for Stanley.

Then we really need to take a stand on Parsons and Fogarty. We simply can’t carry them any more if fair dinkum. They should be shelved for 2018.

It’s time to play the hardened bodies. Murdoch, GHS, Thurlow. The only exception to this should be Constable who has built his case with VFL form (unlike so many others).

I put Blicavs down to the AFL abolishing the 3rd man up rule for him going back :p i cant give Scott credit for that

Smith or Abbott for Stanley.

Then we really need to take a stand on Parsons and Fogarty. We simply can’t carry them any more if fair dinkum. They should be shelved for 2018.

It’s time to play the hardened bodies. Murdoch, GHS, Thurlow. The only exception to this should be Constable who has built his case with VFL form (unlike so many others).

Im really pissed that Constable hasn't been given the game his form deserves yet the MC consistently gives plebs like Parsons, Zuthrie and O'Connor games without earning it, this club has become a joke at picking its best side.

I put Blicavs down to the AFL abolishing the 3rd man up rule for him going back :p i cant give Scott credit for that

He had played back before the introduction of that rule with the odd game when we had lost a tall defender to injury. He showed glimpses earlier in his career of being able to play in defence, but it took that rule change, plus Taylor & Henderson being injured earlier this year for it to become a more permanent move

Some good news ahead of our match on Saturday:

Tuohy, though, is set to play.
“I’m still pretty optimistic I’m a good chance this week,” he told Channel 7.
Tuohy has not missed a match since the final round of the 2012 season while playing for Carlton.

Channel 7 did ask him if he can hold a ball and Tuohy being typical Tuohy replied with, "depends what ball you're talking about" - but good to see that he should be playing on Saturday

I don’t disapprove of GHS at all. That’s why I put his name up......I know others here think he’s too slow, but I think hrs Very good in close, and is a good d vision maker, which negates his lack of foot speed to a certain extent. He’s also a good reader of play, which our other small forwards aren’t, and he’s a strong mark.
He’s ahead of all the kids imo.

Yeah ahead of the kids, wouldn't be hard.
They're so overrated.
GHS far better proposition if he got half a chance.

Collingwood beat the Power on Saturday and the ball is back in our court. Not out of this by a long shot.

Plenty of options as to the final make up of the 8. We just need to hold up our end of the deal and win the last 2 games. Perfect scenario is finishing 6th and playing the Power week 1 of the finals at K Park. Anything can happen from that point on.

Obviously Abbott or Smith come in for Stanley. Harry could come in for Parsons and play CHF. Will allow Henry to go back, which is his preferred and best position right now IMO. O'Connor dropped as well. If Bews gets up, straight back in or I would look at playing Constable. Played back in the VFL and was ok. Couldn't be any worse than O'Connor. I would be tempted to give him games now anyway. Rest Selwood and the following week rest Gaz or Danger. I said in the autopsy that we can only win the premiership off the pointy end of our list and we will need them up and firing for 4 weeks. Can't rely on the bottom 6-8 to give 4 consistent weeks of football.

Focus this week is on 4 solid quarters of football. Nothing more.

Collingwood beat the Power on Saturday and the ball is back in our court. Not out of this by a long shot.

Plenty of options as to the final make up of the 8. We just need to hold up our end of the deal and win the last 2 games. Perfect scenario is finishing 6th and playing the Power week 1 of the finals at K Park. Anything can happen from that point on.

Obviously Abbott or Smith come in for Stanley. Harry could come in for Parsons and play CHF. Will allow Henry to go back, which is his preferred and best position right now IMO. O'Connor dropped as well. If Bews gets up, straight back in or I would look at playing Constable. Played back in the VFL and was ok. Couldn't be any worse than O'Connor. I would be tempted to give him games now anyway. Rest Selwood and the following week rest Gaz or Danger. I said in the autopsy that we can only win the premiership off the pointy end of our list and we will need them up and firing for 4 weeks. Can't rely on the bottom 6-8 to give 4 consistent weeks of football.

Focus this week is on 4 solid quarters of football. Nothing more.
Nobody is getting rested.
There’s a bye before week 1 of the finals. They can rest then.
Imagine the outrage if we dropped one of the last 2 games and missed the finals because we were ‘resting’ stars with the season on the line!!!!
Not going to happen.....it’s full steam ahead.

Last edited:
Yep, Taylor as a forward after being an AA Backman, Guthrie anywhere but delisted, Thurlow as a back when he is best played on the wing.
Agree with this, so Thurlow was a AA u18 back, a rising star nominee in 2015 as a back, Chris Scott quoted as saying in 2015 "i can see Jackson kicking out for us for 10 years" as a back in 2015. He does a knee and since 6 games back in in 2017 without fully recovering he is a winger. Makes heaps of sense. No doubt there is other cases as well.

Nobody is getting rested.
There’s a bye before week 1 of the finals. They can rest then.
Imagine the outrage if we dropped one of the last 2 games and missed the finals because we were ‘resting’ stars with the season on the line!!!!
Not going to happen.....it’s full steam ahead.
Agree.
We are not in Richmond's position this year.
Interesting they've just sent 1 or 2 off for ankle "scopes" at this time. They can afford to and have factored the bye into calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back