Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its very rare that players from the TAC that get state combine invites go in the top 50 but Harry Reynolds(Sandringham), Sam Sturt(Dandenong) and Josh Kemp(Calder) look to have the best chance.

Josh Kemp is personally my favourite of the 3, i feel he would flourish in a team like Dandenong who move the ball better than any team this year. He has a great leap, good hands and he is tough and will chase and tackle hard despite his very slight frame. Some high upside indeed.

If Sturt commits to footy he's going top 20, I'm calling it right now.

Unsure what his stats were for State games but in TAC cup has only gone above 22 disposals once this year from 12-13 games.

Bit of a concern

If there's one thing that we know for sure it's that we'll draft on potential not on current production so I don't think we'll be too worried about numbers.

Nah it's really not. His hands are great, his kick is great, he's better than "ok" at the stoppages and he can take marks. He has all the tools to be a great player and has played some very good games already. Teaching him how to get more involved in play is the easy part. RCD will be a top 20 pick guaranteed. He won't be on the board at our next pick.

Would rather take a punt on a smokey and risk a bust than draft another kid who's guaranteed to be a B grade player, no more and no less.
We can go back and forth over his skills all day. I'd say someone like Josh Kelly has a 'great' kick and Clayton Oliver has 'great' hands. RCD is average at best for both those things. At 193cm 88kg he should be dominating stoppages without even taking into account footy nous. Fact is he averages 3.5 clearances and 8 CP. If you want to see how a dominant clearance player goes about it then watch his teammate in James Rowbottom. He can take marks, great. Everyone playing in the TAC Cup can take a mark. He has the tools to be very player, yet is a very average one currently. No one would be taking him in the top 30/40 based purely on the quality of football he has produced this year. Selecting him over guys like Hately, Duursma and Stocker would be a bold move to say the least.

It would take everything to go right for RCD to make it as a B grader. I feel like some people just see he's 193cm, moves well and automatically think he's the next Bontempelli.

We can go back and forth over his skills all day. I'd say someone like Josh Kelly has a 'great' kick and Clayton Oliver has 'great' hands. RCD is average at best for both those things. At 193cm 88kg he should be dominating stoppages without even taking into account footy nous. Fact is he averages 3.5 clearances and 8 CP. If you want to see how a dominant clearance player goes about it then watch his teammate in James Rowbottom. He can take marks, great. Everyone playing in the TAC Cup can take a mark. He has the tools to be very player, yet is a very average one currently. No one would be taking him in the top 30/40 based purely on the quality of football he has produced this year. Selecting him over guys like Hately, Duursma and Stocker would be a bold move to say the least.

It would take everything to go right for RCD to make it as a B grader. I feel like some people just see he's 193cm, moves well and automatically think he's the next Bontempelli.
I’ll keep disagreeing on your opinion of his skill, he is damaging by hand and foot but he just doesn’t get it enough and is often found in the wrong spots in transition and his overhead marking isn’t great.

Marking can be improved but it will be harder to teach him how to get in the right spots I think, some players just have it like Walsh who just thinks ahead of the game and that’s what most of the best mids can do.

I’ll keep disagreeing on your opinion of his skill, he is damaging by hand and foot but he just doesn’t get it enough and is often found in the wrong spots in transition and his overhead marking isn’t great.

Marking can be improved but it will be harder to teach him how to get in the right spots I think, some players just have it like Walsh who just thinks ahead of the game and that’s what most of the best mids can do.
His hands are what you'd expect out of a big-bodied inside mid. It's like the equivalent to saying forward has good goal-sense. It's a skill that is expected of a player utilised in that role. His kicking reminds me a bit of Fyfe's of a couple years back. Can get distance on hit, hit the odd stab pass but is just overall inconsistent which can lead to some bad turnovers.

Richmond showed us how valuable players that don't get caught out in transition are. RCD would not help us in this regard and is not good enough on the inside to cover this deficiency.

His hands are what you'd expect out of a big-bodied inside mid. It's like the equivalent to saying forward has good goal-sense. It's a skill that is expected of a player utilised in that role. His kicking reminds me a bit of Fyfe's of a couple years back. Can get distance on hit, hit the odd stab pass but is just overall inconsistent which can lead to some bad turnovers.

Richmond showed us how valuable players that don't get caught out in transition are. RCD would not help us in this regard and is not good enough on the inside to cover this deficiency.
Yep it’s his main worry and why I dropped him outside my top 15. I think his range is in the 15-30 range and a club should take the punt in the 2nd round at the latest.

His outside running is something he is working on, his speed is only ok but he has that burst at stoppages which is usually enough to give him space, doesn’t mind a don’t argue either.

How about decision making and skills?

Reckon WA boy Jordan Clark could come into top 10 calculations for us.

We use to pick up half back/mids in the Heppell, Browne and a few others era now weve gone for Langford, Laverde, Redman, Begley, Parish, Kobe Mutch types more recently as forward/mids.

He performed very well against a 2nd eagles afl side in the finals on the weekend and his league games have been as good as his colts meaning the step up in levels arent affecting his game. Along with this the upward trend of improvement. We are due a WA boy.

Another strong WAFL performance will see him jump up again.

Hard to see where he fits in early with Mckenna, Saad but one can always play deeper back or he might be able to early in his career or on a wing to replace a Zacka down the track. Hes a kicker and marker very much what Goddard was.

Reckon WA boy Jordan Clark could come into top 10 calculations for us.

We use to pick up half back/mids in the Heppell, Browne and a few others era now weve gone for Langford, Laverde, Redman, Begley, Parish, Kobe Mutch types more recently as forward/mids.

He performed very well against a 2nd eagles afl side in the finals on the weekend and his league games have been as good as his colts meaning the step up in levels arent affecting his game. Along with this the upward trend of improvement. We are due a WA boy.

Another strong WAFL performance will see him jump up again.

Hard to see where he fits in early with Mckenna, Saad but one can always play deeper back or he might be able to early in his career or on a wing to replace a Zacka down the track. Hes a kicker and marker very much what Goddard was.
I’m not keen on that idea at all, until he can show he can be accountable I wouldn’t touch him in the top 20

I’m not keen on that idea at all, until he can show he can be accountable I wouldn’t touch him in the top 20

True, Ill watch him today and see what his defensive skills are like.

Alot of these u18s lack in that regard there all ball hunters and quite selfish in the u18 system as they want to show their ability to recruiters by getting a kick not defending a kick. Defensive attributes are now seen to be coached into them or a product of the teams culture ie what the tigers are doing. Its something that is coached into them at the AFL/VFL system and if they dont do it then they wont play.

Last edited:
Merrett, Fantasia, Langford, Laverde, Gleeson, McKenna, Begley....

Langford and Laverde were in everyones top 20s. Laverde had huge production in his draft year and Langford pretty good aswell he was just never a huge ball winner and played a different role across half fwd impacting his numbers.

Gleeson and Fantasia went late which i guess is where you can start to pick for potential more.

Begley had very good production avg the most goals per game in tac cup that year or very close to it.

Zach Merretts probably the only one.

I think when you have a pick 8 you dont go with someone based purely on potential. RCD has probably enough production behind him for a pick pretty close to that. Obviousily its a mix of the Dodo potential and production scale as to who we pick.

I think we purely go best available if it isnt used in a trade. I dont mind going for potential later in the draft. Id say the bolters seem to fail more often than not and the ones that succeed are usually defenders. Guys that came from no where ir L.Cook, C.Howard, A.Steinberg all in that top 30 mix didnt do much. Doedee looks a player but took him 3 years to play a game. Unsure who else succeedee/failed. We back Dodo with confidence regardless.

Hopefully hawks out in straight sets and Shiel thinks the dons are every bit as good if not better.

True, Ill watch him today and see what his defensive skills are like.

Alot of these u18s lack in that regard there all ball hunters and quite selfish in the u18 system as they want to show their ability to recruiters by getting a kick not defending a kick. Defensive attributes are now seen to be coached into them or a product of the teams culture ie what the tigers are doing. Its something that is coached into them at the AFL/VFL system and if they dont do it then they wont play.
I have Quaynor and McLennan as defenders ahead of him mostly because they have shown a keenness to defend but also do damage on the flip side.

If Clark continues to give forwards no respect is rather he try and make it as a wingman because he would get cut up having to play the dangerous small forwards with the room he gives them.

We love Saad and McKenna because they will also defend effectively so if Clark starts doing that more often then he should become just as good if not better than our boys

Langford and Laverde were in everyones top 20s. Laverde had huge production in his draft year and Langford pretty good aswell he was just never a huge ball winner and played a different role across half fwd impacting his numbers.

Gleeson and Fantasia went late which i guess is where you can start to pick for potential more.

Begley had very good production avg the most goals per game in tac cup that year or very close to it.

Zach Merretts probably the only one.

I think when you have a pick 8 you dont go with someone based purely on potential. RCD has probably enough production behind him for a pick pretty close to that. Obviousily its a mix of the Dodo potential and production scale as to who we pick.

I think we purely go best available if it isnt used in a trade. I dont mind going for potential later in the draft. Id say the bolters seem to fail more often than not and the ones that succeed are usually defenders. Guys that came from no where ir L.Cook, C.Howard, A.Steinberg all in that top 30 mix didnt do much. Doedee looks a player but took him 3 years to play a game. Unsure who else succeedee/failed. We back Dodo with confidence regardless.

Hopefully hawks out in straight sets and Shiel thinks the dons are every bit as good if not better.

Langford and Laverde were top 20 but as 'could potentially develop into midfielders' with no real production to back it up in that aspect. Begley was a 100 kilo full forward on draft night.

Merrett probably had the most runs on the board out of all of them but there were still genuine questions around whether he would be a full time midfielder.

There's a little bit of swing the other way with McGrath, Clarke and Mutch but I don't think stats will enter our thinking one iota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back