lol .. Kirky as coach

B Krishna, Mohammed, Abraham
HB Jupiter, Aphrodite, Hermes
C Moses, Buddha, Diana
HF St Paul, Dalai Lamington, David
F Achilles, Zeus, Dreamtime
R Easter Island Statue, King Tutt, Athena
I/C Random Faerie, Harry Potter, Gandalf, Jesus
Quite ironic you mention Harry Potter, his two boys both played ressies with us (academy?). Nick & Jackson

This plan B stuff is a bit of a furphy to be honest. Good teams have strong structures, sure you can throw a couple of magnets around but it’s not really a plan B.

It’s the teams ability to get a game back on their terms, and back on the terms of their structures but no team has a second plan to be implemented imo.

"No Plan B" is an expression used by spectators with no idea what they're looking at to try to present themselves as having some idea about what they're looking at when all they're really doing is demonstrating to those who do know what they're looking at that indeed they have no idea what they're looking at.

In the Swans era the argument for our best coach is between Roos & Longmire. I can't see any other coach being up for debate but the way people are carrying on is as if he's the worst coach we've had.
Our three greatest coaches didn't win premierships with us.
1 Norm Smith
2. Laurie Nash
3.Tommy Hafey
4.Ron Barassi
5. Paul Roos
6. Rodney Eade

7. John Longmire
8. Jack Hale
9. Bobby Skilton
10. Herbie Mathews

Bobby Skilton as a coach- no one really knows how good he was because he usually addressed the players in a concussion fog at half time and three quarter time and Herbie Mathews gets in the top ten because he played tennis with my mum.
Longmire makes the top ten but at 7 in the post war era IMHO

Last edited:
This is short sighted. What many seem to not understand is that our backline is protected by a defensive midfield strategy. If we want to be more attacking, have our forwards in the forward line and transition the ball better, we need a defence who don’t require as much midfield support.
Longmire's great innovation in the history of the game was having the best forward in the game since Coleman playing as a wingman booming in 60 meter punts to two 18 year old kids, one of whom who cant kick over the backyard fence in a gale. Its unfair to say he isn't innovative

Out three greatest coaches didn't win premierships with us.
1 Norm Smith
2. Tommy Hafey
3.Ron Barassi
4. Paul Roos
5. Rodney Eade
6. Laurie Nash
7. John Longmire
8. Jack Hale
9. Bobby Skilton
10. Herbie Mathews

Bobby Skilton as a coach- no one really knows how good he was because he usually addressed the players in a concussion fog at half time and three quarter time and Herbie Mathews gets in the top ten because he played tennis with my mum.

That's an interesting list. Hafey's a difficult one. There's no question he was a great coach. He revolutionised fitness as a key to success (and by that I mean he took fitness to a new level).

One might argue though he took it beyond that level where his lack of September success post Richmond is put down by some to his insistence on full hard training in September.

Also the coaches of yesterday don't really compare to the "coaching managers" of today.

That's an interesting list. Hafey's a difficult one. There's no question he was a great coach. He revolutionised fitness as a key to success (and by that I mean he took fitness to a new level).

One might argue though he took it beyond that level where his lack of September success post Richmond is put down by some to his insistence on full hard training in September.

Also the coaches of yesterday don't really compare to the "coaching managers" of today.
Tommy believed that teams should dominate the central corridor and move the ball quickly to a big forward for a one out contest. He woud runn rings around Longmire as a strategist, motivator and manager. The cups of tea at his place with the missus kept the greatest rabble of louts, misfits and crims together at Richmond for an era of dominance. And he woudn't have needed any "sport scientist" to get the boys fit either. Give him a decent list and two tee shirts and he always had a team in September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tommy believed that teams should dominate the central corridor and move the ball quickly to a big forward for a one out contest. He woud runn rings around Longmire as a strategist, motivator and manager. The cups of tea at his place with the missus kept the greatest rabble of louts, misfits and crims together at Richmond for an era of dominance. And he woudn't have needed any "sport scientist" to get the boys fit either. Give him a decent list and two tee shirts and he always had a team in September

Not unlike Horse, really.

Our three greatest coaches didn't win premierships with us.
1 Norm Smith
2. Laurie Nash
3.Tommy Hafey
4.Ron Barassi
5. Paul Roos
6. Rodney Eade

7. John Longmire
8. Jack Hale
9. Bobby Skilton
10. Herbie Mathews

I was referring to when the Swans moved to Sydney (there was a comment about modern coaches, etc. and then I made a typo about Swans/Sydney).

Being our "best" coach really comes down to definition on what 'best' exactly is, but by judging it purely on success (wins & premierships, not setting the teams up or lifting them from the bottom), our best coaches in the Sydney era are Horse & Roos.

Bruce Horse had a great list. With Buddy Franklin in the Hafey Swans side he would have won two premierships. Longmire was blessed with a truly great big forward to bolt on to a premiership side and he basically blew it.

I'm of the view 2016 was a robbery. I will never change that view.

My point was that it is difficult to compare coaches from the eras because their jobs are so different.

Are you seriously saying Hafey had an inferior comparative list to Horse? At Sydney?

Because that is simply delusional. Hafey had the opposite of the trade ban Horse has had to contend with.

Further, Horse didn't effectively have Franklin in 2016. He didn't have him at all in 2015. And he had a Franklin on one leg in 2018. When we lost that is.

Bruce Horse had a great list. With Buddy Franklin in the Hafey Swans side he would have won two premierships. Longmire was blessed with a truly great big forward to bolt on to a premiership side and he basically blew it.

Yep coached Buddy

has also coached 6 of our top 10 players for games played had a good list thats for sure, has also coached while a team that won 3 flags was around too, so strong competition

I was referring to when the Swans moved to Sydney (there was a comment about modern coaches, etc. and then I made a typo about Swans/Sydney).

Being our "best" coach really comes down to definition on what 'best' exactly is, but by judging it purely on success (wins & premierships, not setting the teams up or lifting them from the bottom), our best coaches in the Sydney era are Horse & Roos.
The distinction is between premiership coaches and good coaches. Premierships have been won by some ordinary coaches who had great lists .Some great coaches e.g Laurie Nash missed premierships with ordinary lists. Len Smith is another. Chris Scott is an ordinary coach who won a premiership with a great list. Longmire is another. Interesting that both Geelong and Sydney are both in decline at around about the same time. Wonder why?

I think we are a little harsh on Horse for 2016. Buddy does his ankle in the first 5 minutes.
Cheating aside, if Buddy stays fit for the game, we win by 5 goals at least. We were really stiff in 2016 connolly.
Hafey no doubt was a terrific coach but my opinion on him has been tempered over the years, when hearing many accounts of how brutal he was with training in the back end of the season. Not so much with us but at the Tigers & Magpies. We know now it just doesn't work for every player.

I'm of the view 2016 was a robbery. I will never change that view.

My point was that it is difficult to compare coaches from the eras because their jobs are so different.

Are you seriously saying Hafey had an inferior comparative list to Horse? At Sydney?

Because that is simply delusional. Hafey had the opposite of the trade ban Horse has had to contend with.

Further, Horse didn't effectively have Franklin in 2016. He didn't have him at all in 2015. And he had a Franklin on one leg in 2018. When we lost that is.
Yes I am. Hafey had a brilliant top 6 players and about 10 spuds. He also developed a truly great centreman from a good player. Longmires list overall in terms of the bottom 10 players and balance was much better than Hafey's. Tom welded together a very artificial list, generated a will to win with the mercenaries and was genuinely unlucky not to win two flags. As for Longmire the point is that when Longmire has had Buddy he hasn't used him as effectively as he could have due to the lateral movement, hold and short kick style of play he has doggedly persisted with which is just out of date and easy pickings for fast ball movement teams. The players know it and he has lost them. Hafey never lost h is players. Its a lovely story about the Swans culture but its now just a myth.

I think we are a little harsh on Horse for 2016. Buddy does his ankle in the first 5 minutes.
Cheating aside, if Buddy stays fit for the game, we win by 5 goals at least. We were really stiff in 2016 connolly.
Hafey no doubt was a terrific coach but my opinion on him has been tempered over the years, when hearing many accounts of how brutal he was with training in the back end of the season. Not so much with us but at the Tigers & Magpies. We know now it just doesn't work for every player.
He was ahead of his time. He was a dedicated professional. A lot of his players weren't. They hit the grog, played up the night before games and Hafey was uncompromising.
As for our finals campaigns we have been physically dominated in two Grand Finals which is unforgivable. Yes we were robbed in 2016 but the Scraggers had an ordinary list with momentum and luck. The way Longmire's teams have been rag dolled in Grand Finals is just unforgivable. Then we have Toby Greene going around kicking blokes. Does anyone go and physically give it to him? I don't mean jumper pulling. The maggots put a tough kid on him last week and the one man crime wave went missing. Yes I do blame Longmire.

He was ahead of his time. He was a dedicated professional. A lot of his players weren't. They hit the grog, played up the night before games and Hafey was uncompromising.
As for our finals campaigns we have been physically dominated in two Grand Finals which is unforgivable. Yes we were robbed in 2016 but the Scraggers had an ordinary list with momentum and luck. The way Longmire's teams have been rag dolled in Grand Finals is just unforgivable. Then we have Toby Greene going around kicking blokes. Does anyone go and physically give it to him? I don't mean jumper pulling. The maggots put a tough kid on him last week and the one man crime wave went missing. Yes I do blame Longmire.

Yes I agree we have needed a player that places fear around the contest. Even Adam Goodes ran through a contest & had people second guessing when he came through. I'm not sure how that is Horse's fault though as that is a recruitment issue but then that player has to want to come our way. We do lack that nut job player though. Problem is though that you can't do that 'tough' stuff any more & Toby Greene just got away with, yet again against us, illegal tactics.

I think the next time we play in a GF, we should be the team that becomes responsible for the rules committee bringing in the send off rule during a game because once one of our players takes out 2 or 3 opposition players illegally, he can stay on the ground & do more damage.
It worked for Clarko in 2014 when they took out Hanners & Jetta.

Yes I agree we have needed a player that places fear around the contest. Even Adam Goodes ran through a contest & had people second guessing when he came through. I'm not sure how that is Horse's fault though as that is a recruitment issue but then that player has to want to come our way. We do lack that nut job player though. Problem is though that you can't do that 'tough' stuff any more & Toby Greene just got away with, yet again against us, illegal tactics.

I think the next time we play in a GF, we should be the team that becomes responsible for the rules committee bringing in the send off rule during a game because once one of our players takes out 2 or 3 opposition players illegally, he can stay on the ground & do more damage.
It worked for Clarko in 2014 when they took out Hanners & Jetta.
Agree with all that Ted. We had a kid in the reserves with the ticker and pace to give it to Greene within the rules. The Irishman . But he preferred to play a 33 year old who pointed a finger at Newman. Don't lets start on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back