Welcome CONFIRMED - Nathan Kreuger to join Geelong (pick 42 to Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit the dark up here. If I understand this correctly, the AFL gives Carlton first dibs at the state leagues to bolster their mature age player stocks, and they trade that to us for a third round pick of the current crop of 18 year olds. Doesn't that defeat the AFL's intent?
Nope, Suns were granted mature ages coz they lack them, blues don't so they were granted them to on trade to improve their draft stocks.

I don’t get this trade.
Is it seriously a promising 19 year old athletic KPF for pick 42 is does 42 give us he ability to draft him?
Seems way unders?

Seems like a deal in an overall plan to link into father son picks we could get nominations with later picks.

I think this is a good deal it's around his range anyway he could go later on draft day but carlton had the access already

Worked with him very closely at South Adelaide. You guys have an excellent player. Might be a two year project, but his flexibility is first class. In his under 18 year, he struggled a little as he was used all around the ground and it didn't give him the capacity to settle. He started the year as a key back, was then moved to a loose defender, played a couple of weeks as an inside midfielder (and was very, very good there for a player of his size), before getting moved into the forward line for the national championships. Didn't finish the year well at Souths and reportedly didn't interview well either. He's a very shy kid, who would have been very nervous in the Draft Combine situation, so by the end of the season, I wasn't surprised he was overlooked. But, he came back this year, started in the reserves, worked his way into the seniors and was excellent at Souths. Became a super fit, and at times dominant, centre half forward.

His flexibility and work ethic is his key strengths and his fitness allows him to get a lot of ball on the lead and on the wing. Will need to put on weight to be more effective in the AFL, but I expect that by mid 2020, he could be a very good inclusion. Patience will be important, and he is a very reserved guy.

For pick 42, he's awesome value. Great get.

Nope, Suns were granted mature ages coz they lack them, blues don't so they were granted them to on trade to improve their draft stocks.
They’ve been very optimistic about the potential of their list too (as has the media), so it makes sense for them to bring in some great young talent at the draft. GC? Not so much. They’re bringing in Miles and Ellis though, so we might see some of these moves from GC later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wells takes the piss a bit at times, but I love it when he pulls out s**t like this.
Is he the king of the mature ager? Pods, Stewart, Kelly, maybe Blicavs. They're mighty fine freebies to add to any list.

Worked with him very closely at South Adelaide. You guys have an excellent player. Might be a two year project, but his flexibility is first class. In his under 18 year, he struggled a little as he was used all around the ground and it didn't give him the capacity to settle. He started the year as a key back, was then moved to a loose defender, played a couple of weeks as an inside midfielder (and was very, very good there for a player of his size), before getting moved into the forward line for the national championships. Didn't finish the year well at Souths and reportedly didn't interview well either. He's a very shy kid, who would have been very nervous in the Draft Combine situation, so by the end of the season, I wasn't surprised he was overlooked. But, he came back this year, started in the reserves, worked his way into the seniors and was excellent at Souths. Became a super fit, and at times dominant, centre half forward.

His flexibility and work ethic is his key strengths and his fitness allows him to get a lot of ball on the lead and on the wing. Will need to put on weight to be more effective in the AFL, but I expect that by mid 2020, he could be a very good inclusion. Patience will be important, and he is a very reserved guy.

For pick 42, he's awesome value. Great get.
Thank you for taking the time to post that mate. You've got me super excited now!

A bit speculative. I don't oppose, just not sure if we paid overs for this selection.

He can mark, has a nice left foot, but his strengths from the highlights looks like he has pace, great agility to side-step opponents pretty easy, and his leap...

And yes, the name looked familiar in last year's combine results, and yes, he tested in the Top 10 for Agility and Running vertical jump.

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2017.htm

Bit the dark up here. If I understand this correctly, the AFL gives Carlton first dibs at the state leagues to bolster their mature age player stocks, and they trade that to us for a third round pick of the current crop of 18 year olds. Doesn't that defeat the AFL's intent?

Yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back