Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Out of contract at the end of 2019
  • Drafted to Geelong with pick 24 in the 2017 National Draft as a mature age player (would have been able to nominate his salary)
  • 183cm 82kg midfielder, 13 Brownlow votes in his debut year
  • Has a toddler diagnosed on the autism spectrum and newborn twins, which is difficult enough without being on the other side of the country from your support network
  • Requested a trade to West Coast at the end of 2018 but it didn't work out. Will probably try again at the end of 2019.

Geelong need to make the most of their current crop, i reckon they have one more chance for a flag before 'one' Ablett falls off the cliff and '2' Selwood slows up further, giving up their equal second BaF for draft picks would've been a mistake IMO.

I for one am glad they didn't trade, making WC stronger wasn't going to help my side.

• Out of contract at the end of 2019
  • Drafted to Geelong with pick 24 in the 2017 National Draft as a mature age player (would have been able to nominate his salary)
  • 183cm 82kg midfielder, 13 Brownlow votes in his debut year
  • Has a toddler diagnosed on the autism spectrum and newborn twins, which is difficult enough without being on the other side of the country from your support network
  • Requested a trade to West Coast at the end of 2018 but it didn't work out. Will probably try again at the end of 2019.
Geelong knowing the situation with Autism and newborn twins... should have done the right thing and traded him.

Shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy for the disability, the twins and the family imo.

Geelong knowing the situation with Autism and newborn twins... should have done the right thing and traded him.

Shows a complete lack of understanding and empathy for the disability, the twins and the family imo.
Did you say the same thing when Ablett requested a trade at the end of 2016?

Did you say the same thing when Ablett requested a trade at the end of 2016?
No. In fairness though, GAJ wasn't facing the same situation though was he. Do you know anything about Autism and how hard it would be having newborn twins on top of that?

No. In fairness though, GAJ wasn't facing the same situation though was he. Do you know anything about Autism and how hard it would be having newborn twins on top of that?
His sister was on the verge of death. Not the same situation but equally as important.

His sister was on the verge of death. Not the same situation but equally as important.
Fair enough.
I have an in depth understanding of disability so look at this type of situation differently.

We all die eventually but whole families are destroyed by the burden of disability cases like this. Not just the child, the siblings, parents etc.

I can see him having another awesome season, and requesting a trade home to us.

We offer our first which is rejected. Fans on here speculate as to whether he would get to our first in the ND.

Then the deal might end up being like 2019 first (~15) and second (~33) Kelly, which is:
- far less than what the Cats wanted this year (2019 first, 20 and 22)
- less than what we offered this year (2019 second, 20 and 22)
- less than what Geelong would want next year (2019 first and 2020 first).

Either that or he goes to Freo, or re-signs...

Geelong need to make the most of their current crop, i reckon they have one more chance for a flag before 'one' Ablett falls off the cliff and '2' Selwood slows up further, giving up their equal second BaF for draft picks would've been a mistake IMO.

I for one am glad they didn't trade, making WC stronger wasn't going to help my side.

Geelong are so soft in finals, having Kelly another year isn't the catalyst for them actually winning finals games. They need a culture change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not close to the story as didn’t follow, but a quick google shows she died in late 2017 due to a drug overdose after a 10 year battle with mental illness.

Not sure how 2016 request relates to her death, other than her general mental health struggles, which I’m not downplaying at all.

I’m not close to the story as didn’t follow, but a quick google shows she died in late 2017 due to a drug overdose after a 10 year battle with mental illness.

Not sure how 2016 request relates to her death, other than her general mental health struggles, which I’m not downplaying at all.

Drug and mental health issues.

She was institutionalised. Not like it happened over night without warning.

I can see him having another awesome season, and requesting a trade home to us.

We offer our first which is rejected. Fans on here speculate as to whether he would get to our first in the ND.

Then the deal might end up being like 2019 first (~15) and second (~33) Kelly, which is:
- far less than what the Cats wanted this year (2019 first, 20 and 22)
- less than what we offered this year (2019 second, 20 and 22)
- less than what Geelong would want next year (2019 first and 2020 first).

Either that or he goes to Freo, or re-signs...

I'm happy to accept less next year as we will have a very good player for another year on base wages, that has to count for something.

I'm happy to accept less next year as we will have a very good player for another year on base wages, that has to count for something.

I think it's the main reason he stayed. Might not be the best medium-term decision to retain him, but giving yourself a much better chance at a flag is worth that risk.

Geelong very poor form. Forcing someone to stay somewhere they understandably didn't want to be. Considering they were offered a good deal from West Coast, should have just let him go like every other club does. Very poor.
Didn’t Francis want to go home? Not sure how you can sit on your high horse and judge another club.

Cats did well to stand their ground. If he didn’t want to move interstate he should have stayed in the WAFL. His misses could also make an effort to build up a support net work. It really isn’t that hard.

Geelong very poor form. Forcing someone to stay somewhere they understandably didn't want to be. Considering they were offered a good deal from West Coast, should have just let him go like every other club does. Very poor.

So when Ryder and Carlisle left for very good reasons your club just rolled over and accepted picks in the 20s and 30s ????

Drug and mental health issues.

She was institutionalised. Not like it happened over night without warning.
Gary chose to stay on his million dollars plus a year but when his front ended contract moved to cheaper later years, the issue became the reason for a trade request.

Poor form Geelong on a perceived lack of good faith coming to the trade table. Wells idea of compassion was to at least talk to West Coast. He knocked back a really good offer because it wasn’t a drop dead offer. Where is there compassion in that.

Can you please name another player in recent times who said “don’t care which club, just get me home”? This high brow of Geelong posters and club is hypocritical

We did try and let him go. He knocked back the offer to go home and play in Perth. We had pick 11 arranged with freo.

His preference and choice of club is not our priority or anything we should give 2 cents of care about.

If the priority was home he would have accepted this. He was exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back