Another year of bedding in the new players

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Every year I'm seeing new influential players coming in. Fully established players that have a history of playing in established teams, a certain way.

Window closed again. Great if you collect footy cards, but.

Serious response here.
All footy clubs bring in new players. Some are experienced, some aren't.
They deal with it.
Is a problem unique to us? No.
Are we worse at adapting to new players on our list?
I don't think so.

dont want to be forced to play too many kids otherwise we will drop down the ladder and ruin Scott's home and away record

have to keep those top ups coming

wonder if we will draft any mature agers or keep Murdoch and Menzel

So is pretty much every other team. It's par for the course.

I'll preface my response by saying I was fairly keen for the Dahlhaus deal, and less so to see Rohan on the list.

Having said that, 41 AFL players found their way to new clubs over the trade/free agency period (an average of 2.3 per club).

So our boys (with 2 acquisitions of this sort) were less than the average. And only five clubs in the AFL had less than us.

I can only therefore conclude that if we're looking at an ongoing issue in this area, we've got plenty of company across the competition.

dont want to be forced to play too many kids otherwise we will drop down the ladder and ruin Scott's home and away record
Now this is a post that befits your name on BF!!

I challenge you to find us one post of theirs that doesn't.

Best (that is, most apt) username on BF by the length of the street.
To be fair to him he actually makes some really good points at times.

Every year I'm seeing new influential players coming in. Fully established players that have a history of playing in established teams, a certain way.

Window closed again. Great if you collect footy cards, but.

I wonder if they have studied if the King Coil is better than the Sealy ..surely the influential players are given a posturepedic to ensure their influence is supported in a correct manor .. although plenty say one can not afford to be supportive and if players have a history of lying a certain way in established teams then perhaps they may not be flexible enough to blend in .... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Kreuger? Our 18 year old top up.

In the end, let's face it, it's just about anyone the club enlists and anything the club ever does when it comes to alternative viewpoints like those espoused by the perennially indignant around here. If you needed to sum it up, I probably consider that Dennis Denuto (of' The Castle' fame) said it best...

'In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the vibe. I rest my case.'

Define top up cynical .. was Kelly a top up?

not a traditional top up but a mature age player like Menegola and Stewart

given our situation I'd rather we recruit 18/19yo players and not guys who are 23 (if they are much more talented then fair enough, but not your average battler)

given our situation I'd rather we recruit 18/19yo players and not guys who are 23 (if they are much more talented then fair enough, but not your average battler)

OK.. for mine I have a looser acceptance than that.. .top ups have draw backs but dry well kids are just as deflating to build a side..perhaps more so...

Harry Taylor
Pods
there are always wins and losses.
This is footy and at least our club /team is not dying wondering.

OK.. for mine I have a looser acceptance than that.. .top ups have draw backs but dry well kids are just as deflating to build a side..perhaps more so...

well there is a difference at every top up level

if you assume the average player retires at 30 (yes very good players usually play for longer but many average ones are moved on @28)

then you get 5 years out of a 25yo top up
7 out of a 23yo one
and 11 years out of a 19yo kid
(this is assuming they all make it)

hard to build much continuity if your players are only playing for 5-7 years, another thing is the age peak is probably 26 (players are at their best)

so you get all these players who hit their peak in a couple of years and are then on the decline (danger, henderson, tuohy, all peaked in their first year and now are declining)

most of our list is over 27 or under 22

I'd rather a 19yo kid that is a bust and got rid of at 22/23 over a 23 or 25yo who is a good average player who ends up playing for 3-5 years wasting a development spot.

The kid will play VFL cos he isnt good enough, the top up will mostly be in the mid to bottom end of the 22 making sure the team ends up in the middle of the ladder.

We just need 10 year players now because top ups will keep us stuck in the middle.

Harry Taylor
Pods
there are always wins and losses.
This is footy and at least our club /team is not dying wondering.

Harry Taylor was 21? that hardly counts
we got both of those guys when we were contending

I dont have a problem with the odd mature age player when a team is contending or they are high quality for low cost (Stewart/Kelly)

My problem is we seem to be getting mature age players every year and we should be rebuilding.

Harry Taylor was 21? that hardly counts
we got both of those guys when we were contending

I dont have a problem with the odd mature age player when a team is contending or they are high quality for low cost (Stewart/Kelly)

My problem is we seem to be getting mature age players every year and we should be rebuilding.
We are rebuilding plus topping up; it's not unique to GFC.
And what makes you correct in saying we have to rebuild only?
We Are offloading some mature players and replacing them with potentially better ones.
No point hanging onto players for 10 years if they are just not up to it?

Last edited:
well there is a difference at every top up level

if you assume the average player retires at 30 (yes very good players usually play for longer but many average ones are moved on @28)

then you get 5 years out of a 25yo top up
7 out of a 23yo one
and 11 years out of a 19yo kid
(this is assuming they all make it)

hard to build much continuity if your players are only playing for 5-7 years, another thing is the age peak is probably 26 (players are at their best)

so you get all these players who hit their peak in a couple of years and are then on the decline (danger, henderson, tuohy, all peaked in their first year and now are declining)

most of our list is over 27 or under 22

I'd rather a 19yo kid that is a bust and got rid of at 22/23 over a 23 or 25yo who is a good average player who ends up playing for 3-5 years wasting a development spot.

The kid will play VFL cos he isnt good enough, the top up will mostly be in the mid to bottom end of the 22 making sure the team ends up in the middle of the ladder.

We just need 10 year players now because top ups will keep us stuck in the middle.

of course they don't though... there would be an average something like 3 years imo that players being drafted last in the system. Any player that give you a 100 games is an outrageous success yet it could be 100 Murdoch games.. I love the idea of drafting kids.. I hope young Brownless gives 300 games .. but Menegola probably will be one of the best outcomes of games in recent years even though he was not 18 when we drafted him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back